OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 10:44:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Francis.....  (Read 11874 times) Average Rating: 0
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #495 on: July 30, 2014, 02:22:43 PM »

There is a huge difference between referring to a man as a bishop and referring to him as a brother bishop.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #496 on: July 30, 2014, 02:45:52 PM »

I'm not so sure about the comparisons between two popes, one way or the other. Pope Francis is Pope and he wishes to address others by the titles they call themselves. Let it be. Its like the issue of how to address an Anglican bishop... For the most part they don't have apostolic succession (I think only exists through the old Catholics and those made bishops via them and maybe one or two other means) however I still call the archbishop of Johannesburg by his title in his church not out of belief of him being an actual bishop but rather out of respect. I really just see it as him being respectful.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #497 on: July 30, 2014, 02:58:58 PM »

There is a huge difference between referring to a man as a bishop and referring to him as a brother bishop.

Difference ? They hold the same position in their respective churches... Bishop... Brother bishop is a term of endearment to acknowledge the roles they have in common... Why is it common practice to nitpick  here? 

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #498 on: July 30, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »

I'm not so sure about the comparisons between two popes, one way or the other. Pope Francis is Pope and he wishes to address others by the titles they call themselves. Let it be. Its like the issue of how to address an Anglican bishop... For the most part they don't have apostolic succession (I think only exists through the old Catholics and those made bishops via them and maybe one or two other means) however I still call the archbishop of Johannesburg by his title in his church not out of belief of him being an actual bishop but rather out of respect. I really just see it as him being respectful.

Receiving a blessing from a fellow Christian?  Francis... Once pope of Rome... Let him be anathema!

lets get serious now...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:06:01 PM by Wandile » Logged

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #499 on: July 30, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »

sigh...

Thus is quite un-live-and-let-live...  Cool

I'm not sure if you have every heard the "Rush Limbaugh Sigh," but that was what I was going for.  Cheesy

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #500 on: July 30, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »

Difference ? They hold the same position in their respective churches... Bishop... Brother bishop is a term of endearment to acknowledge the roles they have in common... Why is it common practice to nitpick  here? 
Brother bishop is not a polite aknowledgement of a title that another individual holds. Brother bishop implies sameness, that their episcopacy is of the same substance, that a Pentecostal "bishop" belongs to the same episcopacy that Pope Francis does.

It is not nitpicking, it is honesty. If this were the only controversial thing Pope Francis had said, I would understand explaining it away. But it is not. Whenever Pope Francis slips up (and he isn't really slipping up, he means it), the Vatican releases its informed press agents to clean up the mess and the neoconservatives do their part on social media because the Pope couldn't really have said that.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #501 on: July 30, 2014, 03:48:30 PM »

Brother bishop is not a polite aknowledgement of a title that another individual holds. Brother bishop implies sameness, that their episcopacy is of the same substance, that a Pentecostal "bishop" belongs to the same episcopacy that Pope Francis does.

It is not nitpicking, it is honesty. If this were the only controversial thing Pope Francis had said, I would understand explaining it away. But it is not. Whenever Pope Francis slips up (and he isn't really slipping up, he means it), the Vatican releases its informed press agents to clean up the mess and the neoconservatives do their part on social media because the Pope couldn't really have said that.

ok

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #502 on: July 30, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »

Receiving a blessing from a fellow Christian?  Francis... Once pope of Rome... Let him be anathema!

lets get serious now...

Who was joking?  I simply highlighted your words and showed you an official Vatican photograph.  You were the one who introduced sedevacantism and anathemas.  The fact that you had this reaction to a photo of "a fellow Christian" (who happens to dress in episcopal purple because he's the archepiscopal leader of the Anglican Communion) "blessing" (with a priestly hand gesture prohibited to the laity and once, in the RCC, prohibited to all except the Pope) the head of the Roman Catholic Church (which definitively declared that Anglican Orders are invalid under Pope Leo XIII) is proof enough that there is a serious disconnect somewhere, and it's your job to make sure that it is not the Pope's.  Have fun with that, but the disconnect is not Mor Ephrem's. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #503 on: July 31, 2014, 02:36:41 AM »

lets get serious now...

Who was joking?  I simply highlighted your words and showed you an official Vatican photograph.  You were the one who introduced sedevacantism and anathemas.  The fact that you had this reaction to a photo of "a fellow Christian" (who happens to dress in episcopal purple because he's the archepiscopal leader of the Anglican Communion) "blessing" (with a priestly hand gesture prohibited to the laity and once, in the RCC, prohibited to all except the Pope) the head of the Roman Catholic Church (which definitively declared that Anglican Orders are invalid under Pope Leo XIII) is proof enough that there is a serious disconnect somewhere, and it's your job to make sure that it is not the Pope's.  Have fun with that, but the disconnect is not Mor Ephrem's. 

alright

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #504 on: August 18, 2014, 12:42:45 PM »

Pope Francis addressed seventy Asian bishops at the shrine of Haemi, where he gave the most important speech of his Korean visit, especially thanks to his customary deviations from the prepared text.

Francis chose not to sit in the throne that had been prepared for him on a raised platform. Instead he approached the microphone and lectern on the same level as the bishops’ seats. At one point the lectern collapsed and the Pope joked: “My speech has taken nose-dive”.
“We cannot engage in real dialogue unless we are conscious of our own identity.  Nor can there be authentic dialogue unless we are capable of opening our minds and hearts, in empathy and sincere receptivity, to those with whom we speak.”
“This capacity for empathy enables a true human dialogue in which words, ideas and questions arise from an experience of fraternity and shared humanity.  It leads to a genuine encounter in which heart speaks to heart.  We are enriched by the wisdom of the other and become open to travelling together the path to greater understanding, friendship and solidarity.”

“But my brother Pope, if I act like this, no one will ever convert!” Francis said voicing a possible objection....[The Pope replied] "Pope Benedict XVI said it very clearly: the Church does not grow through proselytism but by attracting others.”

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #505 on: August 19, 2014, 06:05:54 PM »

Just on a personal note, Pope Francis in the Vatican lost his nephew and his whole family in a car cash today.

Lord have mercy and Memory Eternal!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #506 on: August 19, 2014, 10:36:14 PM »

“We are challenged to listen not only to the words which others speak, but to the unspoken communication of their experiences, their hopes and aspirations, their struggles and their deepest concerns.”
Except when it comes to traditionalists within his own Church.

Then it's all about "obedience".

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: