OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 03:05:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Francis.....  (Read 10914 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2013, 04:19:28 PM »

So let me get this straight.  In order for the Church to be valid, you need a head honcho that you call the Pope because everyone knows that you need to have a final authority to answer to.  However, the Pope that is the final authority and the Vicar of Christ is hellbent on destroying the Church and ruining it, so you feel it is acceptable to insult him personally because he doesn't govern in the way you feel is acceptable.

And you call us Orthodox confused.  Roll Eyes

Reminds me of something Fr. Tom Hopko once said about how most people think of prayer: telling God what He already knows and asking Him to do something about it and when He does, telling Him it's the wrong thing and it should be done this way.  Or something like that  Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »

I'm not a Pope Francis fan either, but some of this is extremist nonsense.
Which parts might that be my brother Papist?

The traditionalists are not the extremists, the extremists are the ones like the friends of Frank out there and their attempt to turn the Church into another form of the Democratic party. The extremists want to erase all vestiage of the Mass of all time, the beautiful and Holy TLM. The extremists don't want to mention anything about the Church being the True Faith or tell anyone that Homosexuality is sin or that the slaughter of unborn children is unacceptable or that any faith oustide of the Church is in danger of losing their eternal salvation. The extermists don't feel the need for nonCatholics to convert to the True Church or that atheists seek divine knowledge for the existence of God and a grand design for the universe. The extremists want the Church to become more like the world, not vise-versa.

Yes, now that you mention it, I see a lot of extremist nonsense coming out of the Vatican these days.
Well, for one thing, it is extremist and definitively un-Catholic, and not traditionalist to refer to the Holy Father as "Frank" or "Bergo" or whatever other name you seem to want to come up with. You and I are both traditionalist Catholics, and as such, we refer to the Pope as the Holy Father.
If, he is indeed the Pope. I'm beginning to wonder if the Chair of Peter is indeed empty.

Now this "pope" actually wants to "Investigate further the role of women in the Church."

Next stop Father "Nancy"?

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »

So let me get this straight.  In order for the Church to be valid, you need a head honcho that you call the Pope because everyone knows that you need to have a final authority to answer to.  However, the Pope that is the final authority and the Vicar of Christ is hellbent on destroying the Church and ruining it, so you feel it is acceptable to insult him personally because he doesn't govern in the way you feel is acceptable.

Obviously you have never heard of the Message of Our Lady of La Salette...

""Rome will lose the Faith and become the seat of the Antichrist."

BTW, you Orthodox have been confused since 1054.  Smiley

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2013, 07:03:39 PM »

Pope Francis sets out vision for more gay people and women in 'new' church

Pope Francis gives wide-ranging interview to Italian journal and urges Catholics to show 'audacity and courage' in drive for reform

Pope Francis has set out his desire to find a "new balance" in the Catholic church, calling for greater involvement of women in key decisions and a less condemnatory approach towards gay people, divorcees and women who have had an abortion.

In a wide-ranging interview with an Italian Jesuit journal, the Pope calls for the Catholic church, the world's largest Christian church with 1.2bn members, to face up to the need for reform. Offering a dramatic contrast to the traditional conservative approach of his predecessor, Benedict XVI, Francis says the first reform must be one of "attitude", adding that unless a new balance is found, "the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards".

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/19/pope-francis-vision-new-catholic-church

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »

LOL, those are rather interesting statements to put next to each other.  First you claim your own Church will become the seat of the Antichrist and then think the Orthodox are confused.  If I couldn't be sure if my Church was the Pillar of Truth or the seat of the Antichrist, I don't think I would be condemning others Churches with such confidence...

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

Same message, different take.

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 07:06:14 PM »

If you're gonna go there, might as well go all the way.

You were confusing us long before 1054.

When I die, I figure the worst I'll get is what I deserve. Any injustice on the part of God will certainly be because He is all too merciful.
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »

LOL, those are rather interesting statements to put next to each other.  First you claim your own Church will become the seat of the Antichrist and then think the Orthodox are confused.  If I couldn't be sure if my Church was the Pillar of Truth or the seat of the Antichrist, I don't think I would be condemning others Churches with such confidence...
I don't think it has happened yet, but when it does, you will fall in line behind Rome as well. When the Great Apostasy begins all the other faiths will be consumed within it. With all this "ecumenism" going on lately with the Vatican. and we all know how chummy the Patriarchs have been with Rome in recent years, especially with "Mr Humility".

You just keep laughing.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:19:09 PM by Charles Martel » Logged

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2013, 07:18:27 PM »

That is subjective.

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2013, 08:10:48 PM »

LOL, those are rather interesting statements to put next to each other.  First you claim your own Church will become the seat of the Antichrist and then think the Orthodox are confused.  If I couldn't be sure if my Church was the Pillar of Truth or the seat of the Antichrist, I don't think I would be condemning others Churches with such confidence...
I don't think it has happened yet, but when it does, you will fall in line behind Rome as well. When the Great Apostasy begins all the other faiths will be consumed within it. With all this "ecumenism" going on lately with the Vatican. and we all know how chummy the Patriarchs have been with Rome in recent years, especially with "Mr Humility".

You just keep laughing.
I wasn't laughing at all.  I am, however, confused at the hatred that you seem to have for your own Pope.  It is a strange day when I am trying to defend the Pope against Roman Catholics.  Given that you think that Jesus wants us to start drowning sinners, I guess I shouldn't be suprised...

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 08:12:26 PM »

Ever notice lots of Charles' threads seem to feature Charles replying to Charles?

Shocked

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2013, 08:21:35 PM »

If, he is indeed the Pope. I'm beginning to wonder if the Chair of Peter is indeed empty.

Now this is something. Why is the impulse to become a sedevacantist rather than recognizing that the problems of the Roman Catholic papacy are endemic to the office as conceived of in Traditional (which in this context I suppose means pre-Vatican II, not pre-Schism) Roman Catholic ecclesiology? You don't allow yourselves to properly remove Popes who teach heresy because by the innovation of infallibility that is rendered an impossibility. So when someone comes along with some new doctrine or new idea that he'll force on the communion, the reaction isn't "Let's call the synod together to depose this guy for introducing novelties that are against the faith", but instead that the 'real' Pope must be somewhere else. Granted, he is (in Alexandria), but it just seems weird. You make it worse because you preserve the ecclesiology that begets further schism rather than taking advantage of your situation to consider how it might reshape your way of relating to the Church, so you're still stuck playing "Papal Russian Roulette" (y'know, maybe you'll get a good one, maybe you'll get a bad one...just spin the chamber and find out, and if it ends up blowing up in your face you can just run to the safety of the SSPX or similar), even as you think you've freed yourself by siding with other people who don't like Pope Francis.

There was a time when new dogmas that are generally accepted by the Traditionalists were themselves the proverbial straws that broke the camel's back with regard to setting in motion other schisms (e.g., the "Old Catholics" who formed in opposition to Papal Infallibility). I suppose if Pope Francis succeeds with the remaking of the RCC as warned by Charles Martel, there will be a time in the future when all those who stayed with the mainstream RCC will tell us, like the Traditionalists of today do regarding the innovations they accept as true doctrine, that such-and-such a piece of once-contentious dogma is what they've always believed, and the evidence of what came before will be sidelined, covered up, etc. Sure it's sad, but on the other hand from an Orthodox perspective I can't help but wonder why it is that Pope Francis will be blamed for ruining the RCC and not the many, many, many others who also declared whatever they saw fit in their day. It's essentially the same phenomenon at work, and it all goes back to having so much power tied up in one man and the mythologies surrounding some kind of uniquely 'Petrine' office that makes him unquestionable...until he does or says something you don't like.

Weird. I would've thought that if it is wrong for Pope Francis to be overreaching in his attempt to remake the Church in his own image, it would be just as wrong for his predecessors to have done the same, whether in 1054, 445, or whatever year something we don't like happened. But I guess consistency and Rome don't mix, unless it's the indestructible belief in Roman ecclesiology that somehow lets the man destroy the Church but not the beliefs about the office that allow the man to destroy the Church. Hmm. Thank God for Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:26:31 PM by dzheremi » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »

Ever notice lots of Charles' threads seem to feature Charles replying to Charles?

Shocked
How is that relevant to anything we're discussing here?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »

Shocked

I don't know. It just makes me scratch my eyelids when I see it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2013, 08:24:31 PM »

Shocked

I don't know. It just makes me scratch my eyelids when I see it.
Hopefully you're not scratching the insides of your eyelids. That hurts. Tongue
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2013, 08:24:37 PM »

That was a long post, dzheremi, but well said.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 09:00:02 PM »

Now this "pope" actually wants to "Investigate further the role of women in the Church."

Did he say that?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2013, 09:02:24 PM »

That was a long post, dzheremi, but well said.
Well, I haven't seen a Pope remake the faith, so I'm fine where I am. Smiley

lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »

OK. So you're prophesying that your own church will fall into heresy, and that we will join it. Great, so what are we supposed to do? Become fringe borderline pseudo-schismatic Catholics and hope to find the ultra-trad break-off group that is actually the True Church once everything comes to pass?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:11:38 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »

That is subjective.

This is objective: you've been confusing us since at least 451. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2013, 09:44:46 PM »

That is subjective.

This is objective: you've been confusing us since at least 451. 

I'm sorry that we've been confusing you guys. But we're totally the original guys who confused you, not some breakoff of those original confusers.

And besides, what's so confusing?! Two natures! Chalcedon! Perogi!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:44:58 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2013, 09:53:28 PM »

I've never met a pierogi I didn't like.  Can't say the same about Chalcedonians.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2013, 10:15:15 PM »

Do you really believe that you are capable of determining that Pope Francis is an Anti-pope?

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »

I've never met a pierogi I didn't like.  Can't say the same about Chalcedonians.  Tongue

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2013, 12:31:05 AM »

I can't say that I've never met a Chalcedonian I didn't like, either. Sometimes I don't like myself. Tongue
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2013, 01:31:21 AM »

Well since we're bashing each other's Churches, am I the only one who thinks that the Russian Orthodox Church has been a government-ran joke ever since its inception?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2013, 02:27:52 AM »

Well since we're bashing each other's Churches, am I the only one who thinks that the Russian Orthodox Church has been a government-ran joke ever since its inception?
If that has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, would you please not ask the question? (There actually is a forum rule about keeping threads on topic.)
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2013, 03:13:13 AM »

This is the first time I've been somewhat following peoples' reactions to a Pope (mostly because of all the threads on the forums).

How were things with Pope Benedict? Were ultra-leftist Catholics calling him "Benny" and bemoaning his destruction of all that Pope JP II worked for (naturally: women's ordination, gay marriage, etc.)?

I assume that things were significantly less charged with JP II, what with the lack of internet.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2013, 04:49:15 AM »

I've never met a pierogi I didn't like.

You have not eaten enough.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013, 07:53:15 AM »

I've never met a pierogi I didn't like.

You have not eaten enough.

Well, that's probably true.  And anyway, the closest culinary equivalents we have all taste a hundred times better, IMO. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2013, 07:54:26 AM »

I suspect you're the only one who thinks the things you think the way you think them. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2013, 08:12:46 AM »

I'm more Chalcedony than Chalcedonian.

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »

The conspiracy deepens.  Now we find out that Benedict is in cahoots with Francis!  What will the traditionalists do now? Stay tuned as I'm sure Charles Martel will tell us...

http://news.yahoo.com/2-popes-reach-atheists-apparent-campaign-130712163.html

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »

If, he is indeed the Pope. I'm beginning to wonder if the Chair of Peter is indeed empty
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_X_of_Antioch

Current holder of the Chair of Peter.

Glad to help Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »

Did he say that?

Yes but to his credit he already said the Church infallibly Taught against the ordination of women and that that decision was final
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:29:31 PM by Wandile » Logged

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »

Cough, cough...

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »

Cough, cough...

Might wanna do something about that cough. Gettin cold outside.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »

So let me get this straight.  In order for the Church to be valid, you need a head honcho that you call the Pope because everyone knows that you need to have a final authority to answer to.  However, the Pope that is the final authority and the Vicar of Christ is hellbent on destroying the Church and ruining it, so you feel it is acceptable to insult him personally because he doesn't govern in the way you feel is acceptable.

And you call us Orthodox confused.  Roll Eyes

BTW, you Orthodox have been confused since 1054.  Smiley

it should be noted that more specifically Rome will be usurped by the antichrist and that the pope will be in exile. If you read other prophecies you would know that there will be an antipope in Rome (False prophet in revelations) and the true pope will be exiled. Many will be deceived and few will keep the catholic faith. Until Enoch and Elijah show up (The two witnesses) and preach the gospel to the ends of the earth

Read catholic prophecy some time. The seat will never be vacant due to heresy. The chair of Peter is protected from officially espousing heresy.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:39:15 PM by Wandile » Logged

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »

Cough, cough...

If he was in farm clothes, he would look just like the Amish guy down the road from me.

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »

it should be noted that more specifically Rome will be usurped by the antichrist and that the pipe will be in exile. If you read othe prophecies you would know that there will be an antipope in Rome (False prophet in revelations) and the true pope will be exiled. Many will be deceived and few will keep the catholic faith. Until Enoch and Elijah show up (The two witnesses) and preach the gospel to the end of the earth

Read catholic prophecy some time. The seat will never be vacant due to heresy. The chair of Peter is protected from officially espousing heresy.
Man, you Catholic end-timers are almost as crazy as the Protestant end-timers.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2013, 01:10:05 PM »

Not any crazier than EOs who already believe that the Pope is the anti-Christ. Grin

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2013, 01:16:37 PM »

So let me get this straight.  In order for the Church to be valid, you need a head honcho that you call the Pope because everyone knows that you need to have a final authority to answer to.  However, the Pope that is the final authority and the Vicar of Christ is hellbent on destroying the Church and ruining it, so you feel it is acceptable to insult him personally because he doesn't govern in the way you feel is acceptable.

it should be noted that more specifically Rome will be usurped by the antichrist and that the pope will be in exile. If you read other prophecies you would know that there will be an antipope in Rome (False prophet in revelations) and the true pope will be exiled. Many will be deceived and few will keep the catholic faith. Until Enoch and Elijah show up (The two witnesses) and preach the gospel to the ends of the earth

Great story. You should write a novel once.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »

How will he still be Roman pope outside Rome?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »

Not any crazier than EOs who already believe that the Pope is the anti-Christ. Grin
Hey, when we have the Catholics saying the same thing, who are we to argue?  laugh

James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »

He could go to Avignon.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »

Seriously? He would be he Bishop of Rome in exile.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: