Author Topic: On Francis.....  (Read 75954 times)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
Re: On Francis.....
« Reply #315 on: January 17, 2014, 03:08:45 AM »
If over half the order is small...

"On September 19, 2013, authorization was obtained from the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life to publish the results of a questionnaire sent by the Apostolic Visitor to all the friars in perpetual vows.  Slightly less than two-fifths said that the Minister General was governing well;  61 percent said that there were significant problems.  Of the latter group, almost three quarters thought that the problems could not be resolved by an Ordinary General Chapter but required either an Extraordinary General Chapter or a Vatican-appointed Commissioner.  The response to the question about the Minister General’s decisions in liturgical matters was similar:  almost two to one, the friars admitted that there were problems, and about half of the respondents said that extraordinary measures were needed to resolve them (77 percent of 64 percent = 49.3 percent)."

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/2788/hype_and_hope_for_the_ffi.aspx#.UrN5UfRDvT8

Father,

IIRC, when that report came out, it was allegedly refuted here.  Since then, I haven't heard a refutation of the refutation.  Does such a thing exist?  I realise that the source of the information in the blogpost is unnamed, but it's not like the blog itself is anonymous or the post couldn't be refuted with facts if such existed. 
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #316 on: January 17, 2014, 04:52:30 PM »
If over half the order is small...

"On September 19, 2013, authorization was obtained from the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life to publish the results of a questionnaire sent by the Apostolic Visitor to all the friars in perpetual vows.  Slightly less than two-fifths said that the Minister General was governing well;  61 percent said that there were significant problems.  Of the latter group, almost three quarters thought that the problems could not be resolved by an Ordinary General Chapter but required either an Extraordinary General Chapter or a Vatican-appointed Commissioner.  The response to the question about the Minister General’s decisions in liturgical matters was similar:  almost two to one, the friars admitted that there were problems, and about half of the respondents said that extraordinary measures were needed to resolve them (77 percent of 64 percent = 49.3 percent)."

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/2788/hype_and_hope_for_the_ffi.aspx#.UrN5UfRDvT8

Father,

IIRC, when that report came out, it was allegedly refuted here.  Since then, I haven't heard a refutation of the refutation.  Does such a thing exist?  I realise that the source of the information in the blogpost is unnamed, but it's not like the blog itself is anonymous or the post couldn't be refuted with facts if such existed. 

Yes:
http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Blog/2798/a_reply_to_the_anonymous_critic_at_rorate_caeli.aspx
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #317 on: January 17, 2014, 05:23:50 PM »
Thanks for that, I'll be reading it.
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline Apotheoun

• "Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
  • OC.net guru
  • St. John Maximovitch
    • The Taboric Light
« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2014, 11:20:16 PM »
It does seem strange that the Church authorities would hold one form of the mass hostage to perceived problems of a minority within a particular order. Why not suspend the newer rite instead? And why hasn't the newer rite been suspended in all the many places where it is celebrated contrary to the instructions given in the GIRM? Why haven't the authorities in Rome stopped progressive Catholic dissenters from celebrating the new rite?
"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite

Offline Apotheoun

• "Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
  • OC.net guru
  • St. John Maximovitch
    • The Taboric Light
« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2014, 11:23:16 PM »
A funny video that makes a serious point:

Frank the Hippie Pope
"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #320 on: January 18, 2014, 11:52:19 PM »
Oh, man...I love Lutheran Satire. Out of all the heretical internet comedy in the world, it's my favorite.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
Party like a "Rock" Star:

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »
Is the "successor" of "Peter the Rock" just a rolling stone?

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #323 on: January 29, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »
Is the "successor" of "Peter the Rock" just a rolling stone?

*Zing*

I have to now go explain to someone why they can't whistle all day.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #324 on: January 29, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »
SuperPope!

"Not content with being Time's Person of the Year and scoring a Rolling Stone cover, Pope Francis has now achieved superhero status, at least in the eyes of graffiti artist Maupal.

Pope Francis is depicted soaring into the sky, fist outstretched and crucifix swinging in the wind, on a wall of the Borgo Pio district near St. Peter's Square in Rome, complete with a white cape and a satchel branded with 'valores', the Spanish word for values."

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:05:42 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #325 on: February 19, 2014, 12:10:21 PM »
VATICAN CITY -- During his Wednesday audience on Feb. 19, Pope Francis encouraged the pilgrims filling St. Peter's Square to receive the sacrament of reconciliation.
"Be courageous, and go to confession,” urged the Pope.

Acknowledging a popular objection to the sacrament, Pope Francis noted, “Someone can say, ‘I confess my sins only to God.’ Yes, you can say to God, ‘Forgive me,’ and say your sins. But our sins are also against our brothers, against the Church. This is is why it is necessary to ask forgiveness of the Church and of our brothers, in the person of the priest.”
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #326 on: February 19, 2014, 12:11:49 PM »
VATICAN CITY -- During his Wednesday audience on Feb. 19, Pope Francis encouraged the pilgrims filling St. Peter's Square to receive the sacrament of reconciliation.
"Be courageous, and go to confession,” urged the Pope.

Acknowledging a popular objection to the sacrament, Pope Francis noted, “Someone can say, ‘I confess my sins only to God.’ Yes, you can say to God, ‘Forgive me,’ and say your sins. But our sins are also against our brothers, against the Church. This is is why it is necessary to ask forgiveness of the Church and of our brothers, in the person of the priest.”

There's some good first millennium common theology in those words!

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #327 on: February 20, 2014, 09:54:40 PM »
VATICAN CITY (RNS) Pope Francis on Thursday (Feb. 20) opened a major two-day meeting on the church’s approach to the complexities of modern family life, telling the world’s Catholic cardinals that the church needs a “pastoral” approach that is “intelligent, courageous and full of love” and not focused on abstract arguments.

In brief introductory remarks released by the Vatican, Francis pushed the closed-door summit of about 150 cardinals to “deepen the theology of the family and discern the pastoral practices which our present situation requires."
But he asked them to arrive early so that they could spend time discussing one of Francis’ signature themes: shifting the church’s approach on controversial topics like divorce and remarriage, cohabitation, gay marriage and contraception.
“Our efforts are not about restating that the doctrine of the church is thus and so,” Lombardi.... “Our efforts are about returning to the beginning of the doctrine itself, which is the gospel.”
That doesn’t mean the shift toward mercy and away from finger-wagging is sitting well with all church leaders. Disagreements were expected as each of the cardinals gets a chance to weigh in with their own views.

“Everybody will have a chance to yell about something,” one cardinal quipped after the first day’s sessions.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #328 on: February 21, 2014, 12:06:38 AM »
“Everybody will have a chance to yell about something,” one cardinal quipped after the first day’s sessions.

Ah, episcopal belligerence and sarcasm.  Rome hasn't completely lost the Orthodox faith after all.   

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #329 on: February 22, 2014, 01:57:55 PM »
VATICAN CITY Pope Francis on Saturday called on the world’s Catholic cardinals to be compassionate peacemakers among people experiencing violence and exclusion while adding 19 new members to their ranks in a ceremony unexpectedly attended by retired Pope Benedict XVI.

The appearance by the retired pontiff -- his first significant public viewing since his resignation almost one year ago sparked Francis’ election -- shocked most in the overflow crowd at St. Peter’s Basilica. Many applauded loudly as Benedict entered the church, walking slowly with aid of a cane.

At the start of the ceremony, known as a consistory, Francis greeted his predecessor first, embracing him in a hug. Benedict, in what may have been a sign of obedience to Francis, removed his white skullcap, known as a zucchetto, during the greeting.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #330 on: February 23, 2014, 10:32:14 AM »
Pope Francis sends message of unity and brotherhood to the evangelicals and Pentecostals of America!

A short version of the video.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #331 on: February 23, 2014, 02:59:45 PM »
I wonder how much Pope Francis knows about Kenneth Copeland...

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #332 on: February 23, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »
I wonder how much Pope Francis knows about Kenneth Copeland...
I think the Pope is friends with the Anglican-ish bishop, Tony Palmer, who spoke at Copeland's conference and asked the Pope to say a few words on Christian unity. I doubt the Pope would have sought out Copeland (or any other Pentecostal) otherwise. I think Copeland baptizes in the Trinitarian manner, so he's (still) officially Christian.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:04:17 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #333 on: February 27, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »
"A man who lacks the courage to argue with God on behalf of his people cannot be a bishop," the pope said.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #334 on: February 27, 2014, 06:10:04 PM »
http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1400842.htm

"A man who lacks the courage to argue with God on behalf of his people cannot be a bishop," the pope said.

I never would have imagined that I'd find my intellectual soul mate, and he'd be a Catholic Pope.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:10:41 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »
The Pope spoke about the beauty of marriage, inviting the Church to accompany not condemn couples whose love has failed: "When, however, this leaving one’s father and mother, and joining oneself to a woman, and going forward... when this love fails – because many times it fails – we have to feel the pain of the failure, [we must] accompany those people who have had this failure in their love. Do not condemn. Walk with them – and don’t practice casuistry on their situation.”
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #336 on: March 05, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »
ROME Pope Francis has marked the first anniversary of his pontificate with a wide-ranging interview touching on his views on a host of topics....

Regarding the subject of women’s roles in the church, the pope says, "it is true that women can and should be more present in the places of decision of the church."
"We must rather think that the church ... is feminine from its origins," he continues. Mentioning the 20th century Swiss theologian Hans Urs von Balthasar, the pope states that, "the Marian principle guides the church next to Peter."
With the Orthodox, he says, "it is important that we walk together."

"Orthodox theology is very rich," he states. "And I think that they have at this time the great theologians. Their vision of the Church and collegiality is wonderful."

I wonder to whom the Pope is referring when he says "the great theologians"?
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #337 on: March 05, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
ROME Pope Francis has marked the first anniversary of his pontificate with a wide-ranging interview touching on his views on a host of topics....

Regarding the subject of women’s roles in the church, the pope says, "it is true that women can and should be more present in the places of decision of the church."
"We must rather think that the church ... is feminine from its origins," he continues. Mentioning the 20th century Swiss theologian Hans Urs von Balthasar, the pope states that, "the Marian principle guides the church next to Peter."

"Orthodox theology is very rich," he states. "And I think that they have at this time the great theologians. Their vision of the Church and collegiality is wonderful."

This is one of them. 

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #338 on: March 05, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »

This is one of them. 
I love his work.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #339 on: March 05, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »

This is one of them. 

A hidden treasure...
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #340 on: March 05, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #341 on: March 05, 2014, 02:41:25 PM »
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:41:42 PM by primuspilus »
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #342 on: March 05, 2014, 07:09:38 PM »
The full version of the Pope's recent comments on Orthodoxy:

VATICAN CITY ­—Find below an English translation, by CNA’s Estefania Aguirre and Alan Holdren, of the March 5 interview of Pope Francis with Italian daily Corriere della Sera.
Will the coming trip to the Holy Land bring an agreement of intercommunion with the Orthodox that Paul VI, 50 years ago, nearly signed with Athenagoras?

We are all impatient to obtain "closed" results. But the path of unity with the Orthodox means most of all walking and working together. In Buenos Aires, in the catechism courses, some Orthodox came. I spent Christmas and Jan. 6 together with their bishops, who sometimes also asked advice of our diocesan offices. I don’t know if the episode you are telling me of Athenagoras, who would have proposed to Paul VI that they walk together and send all of the theologians to an island to discuss among themselves, is true. It is a joke, but it is important that we walk together. Orthodox theology is very rich. And I believe that they have great theologians at this moment. Their vision of the Church and of synodality is marvelous.
Did Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras really almost sign an agreement?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:20:11 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #343 on: March 05, 2014, 07:59:53 PM »
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #344 on: March 05, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »
The full version of the Pope's recent comments on Orthodoxy:

VATICAN CITY ­—Find below an English translation, by CNA’s Estefania Aguirre and Alan Holdren, of the March 5 interview of Pope Francis with Italian daily Corriere della Sera.
Will the coming trip to the Holy Land bring an agreement of intercommunion with the Orthodox that Paul VI, 50 years ago, nearly signed with Athenagoras?

We are all impatient to obtain "closed" results. But the path of unity with the Orthodox means most of all walking and working together. In Buenos Aires, in the catechism courses, some Orthodox came. I spent Christmas and Jan. 6 together with their bishops, who sometimes also asked advice of our diocesan offices. I don’t know if the episode you are telling me of Athenagoras, who would have proposed to Paul VI that they walk together and send all of the theologians to an island to discuss among themselves, is true. It is a joke, but it is important that we walk together. Orthodox theology is very rich. And I believe that they have great theologians at this moment. Their vision of the Church and of synodality is marvelous.
Did Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras really almost sign an agreement?

I find it more interesting that the Pope lauds the Orthodox Ecclesiology. Could this mean something?
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #345 on: March 05, 2014, 08:34:17 PM »
Maybe The Pope is finally coming around to conventional thought?

The Catholic Church could tolerate some types of civil unions as a way of protecting healthcare and property rights, Pope Francis said.

"Matrimony is between a man and a woman," the pontiff told the Italian daily newspaper Corriere della Sera in an interview published Wednesday

But moves to "regulate diverse situations of cohabitation [are] driven by the need to regulate economic aspects among persons, as for instance to assure medical care … It is necessary to look at the diverse cases and evaluate them in their variety."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/05/us-pope-interview-idUSBREA2410Z20140305

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #346 on: March 10, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
NEW YORK (RNS) Cardinal Timothy Dolan said Sunday (March 9) that Pope Francis is asking the Catholic Church to look at the possibility of recognizing civil unions for gay couples, although the archbishop of New York said that he would be “uncomfortable” if the church embraced that position.
In the “Meet the Press” interview, Dolan addressed concerns that Francis was alienating Catholic conservatives who are often the most loyal Mass-goers and some of the biggest donors to the church. The cardinal said he sees “a little angst” but has not found “a lot of massive discontent.”
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #347 on: March 10, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »
"Bravo.  Good for him."

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #348 on: March 10, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
NEW YORK (RNS) Cardinal Timothy Dolan said Sunday (March 9) that Pope Francis is asking the Catholic Church to look at the possibility of recognizing civil unions for gay couples, although the archbishop of New York said that he would be “uncomfortable” if the church embraced that position.
In the “Meet the Press” interview, Dolan addressed concerns that Francis was alienating Catholic conservatives who are often the most loyal Mass-goers and some of the biggest donors to the church. The cardinal said he sees “a little angst” but has not found “a lot of massive discontent.”

That was a terrible interview that had me, I must admit, cursing my TV set. The interviewer tried repeatedly to corner the cardinal into saying something that clearly neither he nor the pope said. Sickening.

I am so glad I am Orthodox and have no one bishop's opinion carrying the weight of the entire Church, but I really felt sorry for the RCs viewing this and respect the deftness with which the cardinal fielded this inquisition.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #349 on: March 10, 2014, 03:03:41 PM »
He has his moments when I question what he's thinking (mostly, but not always, when he's liturgising), but overall Cardinal Dolan rocks. 

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2014, 03:05:31 PM »
He has his moments when I question what he's thinking (mostly, but not always, when he's liturgising), but overall Cardinal Dolan rocks. 
Now if he'd only grow a beard...  :D
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
« Reply #351 on: March 10, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »

Who was the last Pope to sport a beard??????

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2014, 03:26:02 PM »
He really does. I'm quite a fan.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline James2

• Mr.
  • High Elder
« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »

Who was the last Pope to sport a beard??????

I think the honor goes to Innocent XII (1691-1700):

There was a good run of bearded popes in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Offline James2

• Mr.
  • High Elder
« Reply #354 on: March 10, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »

Like this?

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #355 on: March 10, 2014, 11:06:12 PM »
Like this?

Believe it or not, even though it is in the context of the liturgical homily (IIRC), I can excuse that as a one-off gesture of warming up to one's new family (at the time, Archdiocese of Milwaukee).  He's got a gregarious personality that really sets people at ease, and I think that's a wonderful quality for a bishop to have, especially in a place like NY.  But he seems to have difficulty keeping it in check during services...he's got a form of what I call liturgical ADHD.  I've never seen him celebrate Mass with anything approaching solemnity, not even one of the early morning weekday Masses in the Cathedral.  When the guy selling hot dogs a couple of blocks away on a street corner has more gravitas than a bishop at an altar, I think that's a problem.  Overall, he's awesome, and I definitely prefer someone like Cardinal Dolan to someone like Cardinal Wuerl, but the latter celebrates Mass like a priest.  I don't know what Cardinal Dolan celebrates Mass like, but whatever it is, it makes me laugh.     

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #356 on: March 10, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »
Like this?

Believe it or not, even though it is in the context of the liturgical homily (IIRC), I can excuse that as a one-off gesture of warming up to one's new family (at the time, Archdiocese of Milwaukee).  He's got a gregarious personality that really sets people at ease, and I think that's a wonderful quality for a bishop to have, especially in a place like NY.  But he seems to have difficulty keeping it in check during services...he's got a form of what I call liturgical ADHD.  I've never seen him celebrate Mass with anything approaching solemnity, not even one of the early morning weekday Masses in the Cathedral.  When the guy selling hot dogs a couple of blocks away on a street corner has more gravitas than a bishop at an altar, I think that's a problem.  Overall, he's awesome, and I definitely prefer someone like Cardinal Dolan to someone like Cardinal Wuerl, but the latter celebrates Mass like a priest.  I don't know what Cardinal Dolan celebrates Mass like, but whatever it is, it makes me laugh.     

A bishop who, of his own volition, wears a fake block of cheese on his head during a Mass in the name of "putting people at ease"?? There's no excuse for such travesties.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2014, 11:32:04 PM »
Like this?

A bishop who, of his own volition, wears a fake block of cheese on his head during a Mass in the name of "putting people at ease"?? There's no excuse for such travesties.

VATII you've come a long way baby......Improvise.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »

In a perfect world, sure.  In the post-Vatican II American RCC, it can always be worse.  Compared to some things I've been so unfortunate as to have witnessed, Abp Dolan with a fake block of cheese on his head during his enthronement Mass is more on this side of the spectrum:

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #359 on: March 10, 2014, 11:47:32 PM »

In a perfect world, sure.  In the post-Vatican II American RCC, it can always be worse.  Compared to some things I've been so unfortunate as to have witnessed, Abp Dolan with a fake block of cheese on his head during his enthronement Mass is more on this side of the spectrum:

Where and when was Abp. Fulton Sheen allowed to celebrate Mass in Jerusalem?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:48:38 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.