Author Topic: Saint Joseph  (Read 594 times)

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
Saint Joseph
« on: March 19, 2016, 05:31:59 PM »
Today is Saint Joseph's Day for Roman Catholics. I was raised Catholic (now am Orthodox) and was curious as to why he really isn't really mentioned much in Orthodoxy. I have seen icons of "The Holy Family", but they are Western.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Saint Joseph
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »
He is much more commemorated during the Nativity period. One of the Gospels reading of Nativity services (Matins) is devoted to his salvatious dream, he's also commemorated on the Sunday after the Nativity.

But that's true, that he's totally in the Theotokos shadow in Orthodoxy, comparing to Catholicism, that (at least here, in Poland) allows non-fasting products on st. Joseph day. I also remember sermons of a RC priest (well, he's quite strange) saying "Maybe one day the Church will cosider immaculate conception of st. Joseph" :o
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 06:04:19 PM »
I think many Orthodox Christians don't quite know what to think of Joseph. I like him and ask his intercessions.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
  • Faith: Orthodox inquirer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 10:14:54 PM »
I think many Orthodox Christians don't quite know what to think of Joseph. I like him and ask his intercessions.

I think that is probably somewhat in response to the meteoric rise of Catholic devotion to him in recent centuries.
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:17:09 PM »
He is much more commemorated during the Nativity period. One of the Gospels reading of Nativity services (Matins) is devoted to his salvatious dream, he's also commemorated on the Sunday after the Nativity.

But that's true, that he's totally in the Theotokos shadow in Orthodoxy, comparing to Catholicism, that (at least here, in Poland) allows non-fasting products on st. Joseph day. I also remember sermons of a RC priest (well, he's quite strange) saying "Maybe one day the Church will cosider immaculate conception of st. Joseph" :o

I can't recall the name of the book off-hand, but it was a history of the growth of papal power written by an Anglican in the late 1860s. It contained his predictions of what the First Vatican Council would do, and he figured it would dogmatize Papal Infallibility and the bodily Assumption of St. Joseph. I confess to never having heard of the latter!

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 10:20:42 PM »
Today is Saint Joseph's Day for Roman Catholics. I was raised Catholic (now am Orthodox) and was curious as to why he really isn't really mentioned much in Orthodoxy. I have seen icons of "The Holy Family", but they are Western.

St. Joseph the Protector......My Name Day...... And I'm Orthodox.....

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 10:22:24 PM »

The Orthodox church is more anamored with the Righteous Joseph of Aremethia than St. Joseph the foster father of Jesus and protector of the Holy Family..... Unfortunately.... but that's the way it is.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »

I can't recall the name of the book off-hand, but it was a history of the growth of papal power written by an Anglican in the late 1860s. It contained his predictions of what the First Vatican Council would do, and he figured it would dogmatize Papal Infallibility and the bodily Assumption of St. Joseph. I confess to never having heard of the latter!

Wow, that's very interesting.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 12:49:08 PM »

St. Joseph the Protector......My Name Day...... And I'm Orthodox.....

:)

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »

Wow, that's very interesting.

+1
That's a new one to me (bodily assumption of St. Joseph)

Offline RaphaCam

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro & OR (POC)
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »

I can't find it from the amount of information given. Maybe you can post it here if you remember something else about this book?
Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Offline mike

• Filthy Chalcedonian Liar
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 08:03:55 AM »
Maybe it's because we know little of him and he did not have a leading role in the Bible. The last time we hear about him is when Jesus gets lost and that's all. The evangelists did not consider him important enough to even write when he died.

The real question IMO should be why Catholics venerate him so much.
Pray for orthonorm (Jason)

Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Online Mor Ephrem

• Supreme Commander of the Joint Armed Warrior Services (JAWS) of the Oriental Orthodox Church
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "You have car, but no insurance?"
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 03:15:55 PM »
Maybe it's because we know little of him and he did not have a leading role in the Bible. The last time we hear about him is when Jesus gets lost and that's all. The evangelists did not consider him important enough to even write when he died.

You could probably say the same thing about the Theotokos. 
Mor has an open appeal. This we knew already.

Mor suffers from Invincible Ignorance and is guaranteed salvation according to the Roman Catholic Church.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Archon
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 04:39:34 PM »

This pretty much sums it up.

Troparion (Tone 2)
Proclaim the wonder, O Joseph,
to David, the ancestor of God:
you saw a Virgin great with Child,
you gave glory with the shepherds,
you worshipped with the Magi,
you received the news from the angel.
Pray to Christ God to save our souls!

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline HaydenTE

• Elder
  • Considering conversion to Orthodoxy.
  • Jurisdiction: Inquirer of Orthodoxy
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 04:51:05 PM »

From my observation, us Catholics venerate him because, in Catholic Tradition, he actually married the Theotokos, rather than being just betrothed to her. So, we honor him for being her spouse, that's actually how he's commorated at Mass. Added to that is that he was a father figure for Christ, or at least that's what's presumed. So he is seen as being just as involved in Christ's childhood as his mother, and so he's as worthy of equal veneration when it comes to parenting. These to factors also make him easier to connect with, he had a wife and child just like many Catholic men, and because the whole of what is known about him is found in the bible, his story is easily accessible, thus increasing his veneration.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Do Thou, O Sovereign lady,
By Thy joy-bestowing honorable Icon "Queen of All,"
Save those who with fervent desire implore Thy grace;
Deliver from afflictions those who run to Thee;
From all dangers do Thou guard Thy flock,
Who ever call upon Thine intercession.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 06:01:46 PM »
It is also interesting that devotion to St. Joseph alone is quite a recent phenomenon. It doesn't seem to get off the ground until the "young Joseph" began displacing "old Joseph" in the 16th century. It certainly doesn't bother me that he is venerated, but I am uncomfortable with the degree and quality of the exaltation he receives in a lot of devotional material. Ideas about him being the "greatest saint" after the Theotokos is utterly unsupported by tradition, and his cultus has practically displaced the rightful place of St. John the Baptist as "greatest among those born of woman."

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 06:02:26 PM »

I think it's a gentle neglect rather than intentional.

There's at least one parish devoted to him in Texas.

Edit: removed redundancy that was addressed above by Malpana.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:03:08 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Here's where the story ends
    • St. George Church
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 06:21:18 PM »
I like St. Joseph.
petfinder.com

My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »
I found this site that mentions the Assumption of Joseph and a few Catholic saints who believed it.

The book I referred to earlier was The Growth of the Temporal Power of the Papacy by Alfred Owen Legge. It was published in 1870, so it was during the First Vatican Council, but before Pastor Aeternus was voted on. It is an interesting read, certainly tendentious at times, but then again, what self-respecting 19th-century Anglican book about the papacy wouldn't be?

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Pseudo-Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 03:05:49 AM »
So, is this a large group that wants these dogmatic definitions regarding St. Joseph?
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Elder
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 08:04:44 AM »
So, is this a large group that wants these dogmatic definitions regarding St. Joseph?

I don't think so. I've been pretty tapped in to the Trad Catholic world for a while, and that would seem to be a bit of a fringe position even among St. Joseph devotees.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Pseudo-Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 06:45:16 PM »

I don't think so. I've been pretty tapped in to the Trad Catholic world for a while, and that would seem to be a bit of a fringe position even among St. Joseph devotees.

Ah, ok.
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline mike

• Filthy Chalcedonian Liar
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »

As compared to what?
Pray for orthonorm (Jason)

Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Online Mor Ephrem

• Supreme Commander of the Joint Armed Warrior Services (JAWS) of the Oriental Orthodox Church
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "You have car, but no insurance?"
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 01:31:22 PM »

As compared to what?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  I'll paraphrase your quote above to illustrate what I mean, and hopefully you'll understand.

Maybe it's because we know little of her and she did not have a leading role in the Bible. The last time we hear about her is when Jesus ascends to heaven and that's all. The evangelists did not consider her important enough to even write when she died.

The real question IMO should be why Orthodox venerate her so much.
Mor has an open appeal. This we knew already.

Mor suffers from Invincible Ignorance and is guaranteed salvation according to the Roman Catholic Church.