OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 07:18:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic vs Orthodoxy regarding The Theotokos  (Read 170 times) Average Rating: 0
MarianCatholic
Catholic Christian

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Somewhere Between Rome and Moscow

Holy Theotokos, Through your interseccion Save Us!

« on: November 22, 2014, 06:29:13 AM »

As the title of my OP indicates, how exactly differs our view on Mary from the Orthodox viewpoint?

I recently bought myself a lovely Orthodox prayerbook that I will try to pray in at least before I go to bed at night and as I have read some in it I can't get my head around how similar we adress her in the prayers.

You know like purest, sinless among others, also we both pray for her to save us from evil.
I guess we (catholics) tend to ask her to pray for us a bit more than Orthodox do while Orthodox pray for her to save them.
All in all its very similar and not at all conterary.

So what's the Orthodox issues with the RCCs way of venerating TBV?
Is it the immaculate conception and/ or perpetual virgin dogmas that seems sketchy or is there something else?

Also don't count the super Marian part of the RCC among the rest of us while comparing us, as the Legion of Mary kinds of Catholics walks dangerously close to heresy in some of their views.

In His Mercy
MC

Saint Philip II of Moscow Pray for me, Saint Seraphim of Sarov Pray for me, Saint Olga Pray for me, all of God's Angles and saints in heaven intercede for me to Christ our Lord.
Amen.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:51:29 AM »

The IC is perhaps the most significant difference separating the Orthodox and RC veneration of the Mother of God. The IC is not a teaching, let alone a dogma, of the Orthodox Church. There is nothing sketchy or uncertain about this as far as the Orthodox Church is concerned.

Both the Orthodox and the RCC believe in the ever-virginity of the Mother of God - that she was virgin before conceiving Christ, that she remained virgin during His birth, and remained virgin for the rest of her life. In Orthodox icons, this teaching (and it is a dogma in both churches) is represented by three stars on her garments: one above her forehead, and one on each shoulder.
MarianCatholic
Catholic Christian

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Somewhere Between Rome and Moscow

Holy Theotokos, Through your interseccion Save Us!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »

Thanks LBK for taking the time to answer me.
One other thing that comes to mind they may separate us on the Theotokos matter may be that we sometimes adress to her as our own spiritual mother.

I don't know if Orthodoxy find this permissable.

Do you also believe that Christ gave her to John at the cross and that John represented the entire humanity.
Hence she is the mother of all Christians in history.

Does the EO share this view with Rome?

Saint Philip II of Moscow Pray for me, Saint Seraphim of Sarov Pray for me, Saint Olga Pray for me, all of God's Angles and saints in heaven intercede for me to Christ our Lord.
Amen.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 02:24:55 PM »

The Irmos for the Feast of the Entry of the Theotokas into the Temple concludes with these words: " With the angel we cry aloud, and with great joy do we proclaim, You are truly above all creatures, O Virgin most pure."

But perhaps the most concise expression of Marian devotion, love and affection may be found in the hymn composed by the 20th century Saintly bishop, Saint Nectarios of Aegina who composed the hymn, "O Pure Virgin" (Agni Partheni). I suspect that the answer to your questions about Orthodoxy's and Roman Catholicism's teaching about the Virgin may be found here:

"O pure and virgin Lady, O spotless Theotokos: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
O Virgin Queen and Mother, O dewy Fleece most sacred: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
O height transcending heaven above, O beam of light most radiant: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
O joy of chaste and virgin maids, surpassing all the Angels: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
O brilliant light of heaven above, most clear and most radiant: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
Commanding Chief of heavenly hosts, O holiest of holies: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride! Rejoice!
O ever virgin Mary, O Mistress of creation: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
O Bride all pure and spotless, O Lady all-holy: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
O holy Mary, Bride and Queen, O cause of our rejoicing: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
O Maiden Queen most honorable, O Mother most holy: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
More precious than the Cherubim, more glorious than the Seraphim: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
Surpassing Principalities, Dominions, Thrones and Powers: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride! Rejoice!
Rejoice, song of the Cherubim; rejoice, hymn of the Angels: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
Rejoice, ode of the Seraphim, and joy of the Archangels: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
Rejoice, O peace; rejoice, O joy, and haven of salvation: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
O bridal chamber of the Word; unfading, fragrant blossom: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
Rejoice, delight of Paradise; rejoice, life everlasting: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
Rejoice, O holy Tree of Life and Fount of Immortality: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride! Rejoice!
I supplicate Thee, Lady, I humbly call upon Thee: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
O Queen of all, I beg Thee to grant me Thy favor: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
O spotless and most honored Maid; O Lady all-holy: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
I call upon Thee fervently, Thou temple most holy: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
O Thou my help, deliver me from harm and all adversity: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride!
And by Thy prayers show me to be an heir of immortality: Rejoice, O Unwedded Bride! Rejoice!"

http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/O_Pure_Virgin_%28Nektarios_of_Aegina%29
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:25:10 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: