Author Topic: Pope invokes ‘magisterial authority’ to declare liturgy changes ‘irreversible’  (Read 4705 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
Being in New England on a business trip, I went to a random NO mass today - actually my first mass in English  8)
It was refreshing to see the huge number of families with young children attending.
Also - within the bounds of the Novus Ordo - no liturgical experiments!
The only real downer was the apparently inevitable applause for the choir within the liturgy.
The homily was one of the best I heard in a while: The priest exclusively talked about the resurrection, first of Christ and then our´s. Can you believe that? Just resurrection, only briefly mentioning Las Vegas (in this context). No "we have to preserve creation, save the environment and fight for human rights" bla-bla at all.
So overall, things seem to be in much better shape here than in large parts of the (Middle) Europe I know.

Summary: If the changes are *sigh* irreversible on the grand scale of things - which in my opinion they indeed are -
then I would prefer to see what I saw in the U.S. today. This is not the "mass of all times", but nowadays, one has to make do and be thankful for what we have.

una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
The priest exclusively talked about the resurrection, first of Christ and then our´s. Can you believe that? Just resurrection, only briefly mentioning Las Vegas (in this context). No "we have to preserve creation, save the environment and fight for human rights" bla-bla at all.

As if these were mutually exclusive or the latter was useless. We actually do have to preserve Creation, save the enviroment, fight for Human Rights and I'd like to hear more homilies on those.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Lepanto

• Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
The priest exclusively talked about the resurrection, first of Christ and then our´s. Can you believe that? Just resurrection, only briefly mentioning Las Vegas (in this context). No "we have to preserve creation, save the environment and fight for human rights" bla-bla at all.

As if these were mutually exclusive or the latter was useless. We actually do have to preserve Creation, save the enviroment, fight for Human Rights and I'd like to hear more homilies on those.
But of course, they are important. But those are not at the core of liturgy, there are other places where they
should be dealt with in closer detail. I do not object to a priest casually mentioning those or even making them the topic of a homily occasionally.
However, in my experience, indeed these are mutually exclusive. The "save the world" - part is growing at the cost of the other parts of liturgy all too often, ignoring the fact that we will not be able to save ourselves, let alone the world, fully on our own, without HIS grace.
The Catholic Church much too often reduces itself to a community which aims at perfecting society, with a social mission, to protect the environment and help the poor. Nothing wrong with that. However, it just falls way too short. Each attempt trying to establish paradise on Earth with human means only so far ended in a disaster.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:57:11 PM by Lepanto »
una cum famulo tuo Papa nostro et Antistite nostro et omnibus orthodoxis atque catholicæ et apostolicæ fidei cultoribus