OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 02:51:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three Scenarios  (Read 213 times) Average Rating: 0
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« on: September 22, 2013, 04:00:37 AM »

Scenario 1: Justin stabs Jason with a knife, causing an injury that is serious, but very rarely results in death when quality treatment is received. Jason arrives at the hospital, but due to negligence or incompetence on the part of the doctor he dies.

Scenario 2: Justin stabs Jason with a knife, causing an injury that is serious, and very often results in death, regardless of how quickly the injury can be treated. Nonetheless, because of a combination of factors the doctors are able to save Jason from dying. However, Jason dies less than a month later from an infection associated with the knife wound and it's treatment.

Scenario 3: Justin stabs Jason with a knife in the heart, causing a serious injury that usually results in death. The doctors are nonetheless able to treat the injury and Jason seems to be on the road to recovery. Three weeks later Jason is at home reading Heidegger and trips over something, falling into his coffee table and hitting his chest. He dies before anyone knew what had happened. The coroner determines that if he had been healthy he would most likely have been fine, but because of his weakened state and recent trauma, the impact with the coffee table was too much for him to handle.

Is Justin morally or legally responsible (two separate issues) for Jason dying in any of these three scenarios, and if so, why, and to what extent? Also, if he is legally responsible, what should he be charged with?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 04:03:15 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 04:06:07 AM »

1. NO
2. NO
3. NO

Because, as proven by western philosophical discussion between scholars and geniuses, there is no such thing as free will.

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:10:36 AM »

(Actually, I am thinking to post seriously, but we all know "no one is correct in philosophy"

it reminds me of the question, if a fat person is sitting next to a large rail, and there is a runaway train which is going to crash and kill many people, is it morally acceptable to push the very fat man in front of the train? (with the assumption that this would stop the train, and not harm the passangers)

That is, is it morally correct, to use contemplated force to take one life in order to save a multitude.

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »

That is, is it morally correct, to use contemplated force to take one life in order to save a multitude.

For me it depends on which day it is.

That's one reason I started the thread...  Cool

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:10:49 PM »

Could a mod change the title of this thread so that it will get more responses? If it could be changed to something like "three scenarios about abortion loving homosexual jews" that'd be much appreciated. Smiley

Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians!

Partisangirl
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »

I would argue that morally he would be at the very least partly responsible for Jason's death in all three scenarios, even if he is not directly responsible. Christ says that if one is angry with his brother without justification he has committed murder in his heart. Surely stabbing another human being (most likely with the intention to kill) condemns one in the eyes of God, no? Legally, he could be charged with at least manslaughter/attempted murder in all three cases.

I believe he is morally responsible because had he not stabbed Jason the latter would still be alive. He is legally responsible for the same reason.

EDITED: Added a few more sentences to the previous version of my post.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:29:09 PM by Severian » Logged
TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 08:04:08 PM »

Scenario 1: Justin stabs Jason with a knife, causing an injury that is serious, but very rarely results in death when quality treatment is received. Jason arrives at the hospital, but due to negligence or incompetence on the part of the doctor he dies.

He would be legally liable for this.  I would say he is also morally responsible as well

Scenario 2: Justin stabs Jason with a knife, causing an injury that is serious, and very often results in death, regardless of how quickly the injury can be treated. Nonetheless, because of a combination of factors the doctors are able to save Jason from dying. However, Jason dies less than a month later from an infection associated with the knife wound and it's treatment.

He would be legally liable for this.  I would say he is also morally responsible for this too

Scenario 3: Justin stabs Jason with a knife in the heart, causing a serious injury that usually results in death. The doctors are nonetheless able to treat the injury and Jason seems to be on the road to recovery. Three weeks later Jason is at home reading Heidegger and trips over something, falling into his coffee table and hitting his chest. He dies before anyone knew what had happened. The coroner determines that if he had been healthy he would most likely have been fine, but because of his weakened state and recent trauma, the impact with the coffee table was too much for him to handle.

He LIKELY would not be legally liable for this death as there is an intervening occurrence. I would still say he is morally liable.

Is Justin morally or legally responsible (two separate issues) for Jason dying in any of these three scenarios, and if so, why, and to what extent? Also, if he is legally responsible, what should he be charged with?
There is not enough info to determine what he should be charged with as much would depend on intent and the reason he was stabbing him.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:05:02 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 08:07:24 PM »

This is why I support the President reading everything on the internet everyday.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: