OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 12:52:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looping Petitions  (Read 729 times) Average Rating: 0
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: September 21, 2013, 02:36:58 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the proper term, but what is it called when instead of a call-response between the deacon/priest and choir/people the deacon chants his lines and the people repeat Lord Have Mercy or God is the Lord over and over again. How does the deacon manage to stay focused and chant his lines audibly? Is it a skill that deacons are taught by older deacons, or is it something learned by trial and error?
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 02:44:05 PM »

There's actually a technical term for this practice (it escapes me), but I'm tempted to call it "tuning out other people" and affirm that Orthodox are so good at it that you'd think we were born with it.  Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:03:22 PM »

I've forgotten the technical term as well, but it is not that difficult a skill to learn. Priests, deacons and church singers/chanters all master it sooner or later. In a church with good acoustics, it can be quite impressive, a "wall of sound" effect, where, surprisingly, the clarity of both choir and priest/deacon is maintained.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 04:18:04 AM »

any videos of this??

sounds very interesting

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 08:47:19 AM »

There are a lot of clips on that, for instance on deacon.ru, but I cannot remember any specific ones. Looping especially happens after Soloviev's Only-Begotten Son, and on God Is the Lord before The Noble Joseph. The Don Cossacks Choir recording is good, but there is unfortunately no deacon to demonstrate the petitions on the recording. This is a question especially for the deacons out there, but anyone else with any knowledge may answer.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:48:19 AM by ilyazhito » Logged
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »

There are a lot of clips on that, for instance on deacon.ru, but I cannot remember any specific ones. Looping especially happens after Soloviev's Only-Begotten Son, and on God Is the Lord before The Noble Joseph. The Don Cossacks Choir recording is good, but there is unfortunately no deacon to demonstrate the petitions on the recording. This is a question especially for the deacons out there, but anyone else with any knowledge may answer.

The "looping petition" style is used routinely by both Greek and Slavic churches, including parishes, during the longer litanies in the DL, and often also in Vespers and Matins. Another example of its use is in the Greek DL, where the choir chants the polychronion (Ton evloghounta kai aghiazonta) at the same time as the priest chants the dismissal.
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »

What is the polychronion that the Greeks chant? The Russian one is simply a commemoration of the bishops in descending order. For instance, this was the polychronion that ROCOR used before reunification: The Orthodox Episcopate of the Russian Church/ And the Very-Most- Reverend Laurus/ Metropolitan of Eastern America and New York/ First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad/[here is a commemoration of the diocesan hierarch]/The Russian people in the homeland and the diaspora/ This country and them that in faith and piety dwell herein./The rector and brethren of this holy temple and all Orthodox Christians/May God preserve for many years! The Polychronion is sung by the choir after the dismissal, not simultaneously in the Russian tradition. Are there instances other than the litanies and God is the Lord that deacon and choir chant their lines simultaneously (the entrance sequence of a hierarchical liturgy doesn't count, because deacon and choir are doing their own thing).
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 07:00:02 PM »

What is the polychronion that the Greeks chant?

This one:

Τον Ευλογούντα και Αγιάζοντα ημάς, Κύριε, φύλαττε εις πολλά έτη.
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »

Do they chant that only when a bishop is present, or at all times? The Russians will chant the polychronion at the end of vigil and the liturgy at all times. Anyhow, what would be the proper technique? Would the deacon or reader/canonarch just ignore the choir and read his lines at a measured interval?
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 03:02:41 PM »

Is this what you are referring to?

Go to 1:19 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBPxgzehE8Y
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »

Yes. That is exactly what I mean.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 11:22:01 PM »

Do they chant that only when a bishop is present, or at all times? The Russians will chant the polychronion at the end of vigil and the liturgy at all times. Anyhow, what would be the proper technique? Would the deacon or reader/canonarch just ignore the choir and read his lines at a measured interval?

At all times, not just when a bishop is present. The priest chants the dismissal, while the choir chants the polychronion simultaneously.
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 04:51:40 PM »

Is this what you are referring to?

Go to 1:19 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBPxgzehE8Y

That was absolutely amazing.

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Tags: liturgy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: