OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:29:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Children's Orthodox Prayer Book?  (Read 322 times) Average Rating: 0
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« on: September 21, 2013, 03:53:47 AM »

Hi, does anyone here own the Children's Orthodox Prayer Book

If so, what are your impressions of it? 

How does the length and content of the morning and evening prayers in it compare to, say, those in the Orthodox Study Bible?

Are there any other prayer books you would recommend for a new Orthodox Christian child up to the age of 11 years?

Thanks Smiley

Orthodox Christians or inquirers in Waikato/BOP, New Zealand - if you would like to share transport to an Orthodox Church or make contact with others in the area, send me a pm! Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
johann

Faith: somewhere between Calvin and Chrysostom

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »

You can see several other Children's prayer books here:
http://www.archangelsbooks.com/products.asp?cat=Children%27s+Orthodox+Prayer+Books

Unfortunately, from the previews that I've seen, it uses old english. In fact that is the case with most of the Children's prayer books I've seen. Most of the prayers are identical to adult prayers but with some nice illustrations. I know for sure that "Children's Orthodox Prayer Book" and "My Prayer Book" are this way. In my opinion, Children need to pray in language that is accessible and on their level.

I own "Guardian Angel Prayer Book" which is very good, but unfortunately does not actually contain very many prayers. It is mostly an explanation of the divine liturgy for children. The children's version of the prayer of St. Ephrem is excellent however. It's worth it just for that.

The only one that I don't know anything about is "Bless, O Lord"

For morning and evening I currently use prayers for children published by Fr. Anthony Coniaris

Morning:
"Lord Jesus, thank you for the bright sunlight of a new day. As you made the sun to rise in the heavens, so come to shine in my life today. For You are the Light of the world. Guide me, direct me, lead me that I may do Your holy will and please You in all that I do this day. Bless my parents, teachers and all who care for me. Amen."

I also have my own simplified version of the prayer of Metropolitan Philaret of Moscow.

Evening:
"Dearest Jesus, I am one of Your children. Take me into Your arms and bless me as You embraced children when You visited us on earth. Hear my prayer this evening. May Your icon which I keep by my bedside ever remind me that while I sleep You are always with me. Make me sleep in peace and let me awaken in the morning to love You and serve You. Amen"

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »

Someone gave my family a copy of this one, which contains most of the basic morning and evening prayers, as well as a few others. It's in contemporary English.

It also has a lot of icon-inspired illustrations, some of which are quite nice and some of which are distracting.

There's some instructional material in the back about the great feasts of the church.

It's good for learning, but because it's 8.5 by 11 inches, it's really only good for laying flat on a table or reading it like it's a story book.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »

Hey johann and Agabus, thanks for the link and feedback about the children's prayer books. Smiley  I like the look of "My Prayer Book", even though it's quite big.

Orthodox Christians or inquirers in Waikato/BOP, New Zealand - if you would like to share transport to an Orthodox Church or make contact with others in the area, send me a pm! Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: