OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 02:56:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy for 40 days after ordination?  (Read 538 times) Average Rating: 0
Clare G.

Faith: Orthodox

« on: September 19, 2013, 11:15:26 PM »

Is it the case that a newly ordained EO priest is supposed to serve the Divine Liturgy each day for the 40 days following his ordination?
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:19:10 PM »

The practice I'm familiar with is one week.  But perhaps 40 days is more traditional, I don't know.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »

Is it the case that a newly ordained EO priest is supposed to serve the Divine Liturgy each day for the 40 days following his ordination?

This is certainly the tradition, but whether it is strictly observed these days is another matter.  Smiley
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:14:44 AM »

As a matter of practicality, I think it's only a week.  My godfather, when he was ordained, celebrated the divine liturgy every day for a week along with Vespers and Orthros for each day.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »

This is certainly the tradition, but whether it is strictly observed these days is another matter.  Smiley

I think there may be some confusions here. The 40 days of Liturgies are celebrated for the 40 days before the Nativity of Christ, and not necessarily by one priest. I only know of a few places (often with multiple priest) where this is able to take place.

There are many people who make this claim for 40 days of liturgies after the ordination, but this would be impossible on many occasions because the days after ordination liturgy would be prohibited (example Great Lent), and I have never heard of one authoritative person ever say it (well that is not true, it was said more as a hazing joke and not to be taken seriously).

The most I have ever seen or heard is a week of liturgies, but more often then not the first liturgy served is the next Sunday.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:32:25 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
Clare G.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 12:40:28 AM »

Thank you everyone. I'll pass that on, as tactfully as I can, to the person who told me this.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »

IIRC it was the Coptic tradition that the newly ordained priest should spend 40 days or so in a monastery to be "taught the Mysteries". It's a sort of intensive training stage. Our bishop sometimes does this with deacons and priests after ordination.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:50:49 AM by Romaios » Logged
Clare G.

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 12:02:14 AM »

IIRC it was the Coptic tradition that the newly ordained priest should spend 40 days or so in a monastery to be "taught the Mysteries". It's a sort of intensive training stage. Our bishop sometimes does this with deacons and priests after ordination.

Interesting: that's roughly the rationale I was told. That after 40 days consecutive serving the newly ordained priest would be able to serve "in his sleep", i.e. not literally, but without fault. Does your bishop require them to be in a monastery for this period, or in a parish?
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 12:09:20 AM »

Interesting: that's roughly the rationale I was told. That after 40 days consecutive serving the newly ordained priest would be able to serve "in his sleep", i.e. not literally, but without fault. Does your bishop require them to be in a monastery for this period, or in a parish?

There are two monasteries close to town where two hieromonks who are very passionate about liturgy serve. That's where he sends some of the newly ordained to learn the art of proper liturgical celebration, down to all its minutiae. But I don't think that goes on without interruption for 40 days. (The monks and nuns would get fed up!)   
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:21:10 AM by Romaios » Logged
Clare G.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 05:41:57 AM »

Thanks for the additional information, Romaios. Not so easy to achieve if there are no nearby monasteries.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: