OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 09:43:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kant's loving and caring philosophy leads to gun violence  (Read 456 times) Average Rating: 0
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« on: September 18, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »

http://rt.com/news/russia-kant-debate-shooting-944/

A heated argument in southern Russia over philosopher Immanuel Kant’s ideas erupted in violence when one debater pulled out a gun and shot the other. The attacker could face up to 15 years in jail.

The two men in their twenties stood in line to buy beer at a local store on Sunday in Russia’s Rostov-on-Don after the city’s anniversary celebration. They were discussing Kant’s philosophical ideas.

The discussion turned into a heated debate, which was followed by a fistfight and then one of the debaters pulled out a nonlethal pistol and fired at the other’s head...

Hmm... where have we seen parallels of these things I wonder? School shootings, Walmart riots? Hedonistic nonsense.

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 12:06:44 PM »

A heated argument in southern Russia over philosopher Immanuel Kant’s ideas erupted in violence when one debater pulled out a gun and shot the other. The attacker could face up to 15 years in jail.

The two men in their twenties stood in line to buy beer at a local store on Sunday in Russia’s Rostov-on-Don after the city’s anniversary celebration. They were discussing Kant’s philosophical ideas.

The discussion turned into a heated debate, which was followed by a fistfight and then one of the debaters pulled out a nonlethal pistol and fired at the other’s head...

Hmm... where have we seen parallels of these things I wonder? School shootings, Walmart riots? Hedonistic nonsense.

This has nothing to do with Kant or philosophy of any kind.  Waiting in line to buy Russian beer ( Roll Eyes Roll Eyes) is highly stressful, especially if one has already been celebrating and wants to continue.  Waiting in line should be made illegal and lines must be banned everywhere they might form. Cool

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 12:47:19 PM »

the problem is Russians and philosophy mixing

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »

QFT

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »

Nope.  It's mixing beer and lines.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »

Well, they haven't had a beer yet according to the article, that's why they were waiting in line.  Roll Eyes

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »

Come on, it was a nonlethal pistol, I bet it was all in fun. I used to wrestle my friend down to the ground and rub his face in dandelions until his cheek turned yellow. Same thing.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »

Well, they haven't had a beer yet according to the article, that's why they were waiting in line.  Roll Eyes

Then it's the waiting in line that's problematic.  Always brings out the worst in Russians wanting beer.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »

Come on, it was a nonlethal pistol, I bet it was all in fun. I used to wrestle my friend down to the ground and rub his face in dandelions until his cheek turned yellow. Same thing.

Huh Russians and fun  Huh

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »

Well, they haven't had a beer yet according to the article, that's why they were waiting in line.  Roll Eyes

Then it's the waiting in line that's problematic.  Always brings out the worst in Russians wanting beer.

That's why there is no RusoDisney!!!!  They kant wait in lines after all the Soviet years of nothing but lines!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:29:13 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »

I am of the opinion is the issue that they were waiting for beer and not vodka.  Vodka would have solved this problem.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 01:35:45 PM »

Well, they haven't had a beer yet according to the article, that's why they were waiting in line.  Roll Eyes

That's why there is no RusoDisney!!!!  They kant wait in lines after all the Soviet years of nothing but lines!

At the end of which there was........................nothing.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »

I am of the opinion is the issue that they were waiting for beer and not vodka.  Vodka would have solved this problem.

You may well be right.  Do Russians have to wait in line for vodka? 

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »

No, it goes straight to their homes, like tap water does in America.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 01:39:11 PM »

No, it goes straight to their homes, like tap water does in America.

That proves it then.  It's the waiting in line.

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »

In Soviet Russia, lines wait YOU.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:43:28 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »

In Soviet Russia, lines wait YOU.

But Soviet Russia is gone.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 01:58:26 PM »

Is it? For how many decades did they invite westerners into Soviet Russia and trick us!? It was all a sham! They created entire villages to trick us, and make us think that things were different than they really were. And you want to believe their lies now? Does Putin seem like fun loving friendly democratic leader to you? Did you know that people like Peter Petrovich still flee Soviet Russia? But they are too scared to be open about what is going on. Where is our new Solzhenitsyn!?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 02:13:29 PM »

Is it? For how many decades did they invite westerners into Soviet Russia and trick us!? It was all a sham! They created entire villages to trick us, and make us think that things were different than they really were. And you want to believe their lies now? Does Putin seem like fun loving friendly democratic leader to you? Did you know that people like Peter Petrovich still flee Soviet Russia? But they are too scared to be open about what is going on. Where is our new Solzhenitsyn!?

Maybe they've created an entire country to trick us.  Lines and all.  Life in any Russia is and always has been different from what it really is/was.  Perhaps Putin IS the new Solzhenitsyn.  (Did I really just say that  Shocked Huh Shocked Huh)  Well, okay, maybe not, as he's not nearly as verbose.  Unless, of course, that's a trick.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 04:09:43 PM »

How are you not shooting someone else if you have the misfortune to live in Russia and aren't some corrupt corporatist? Then some smart guy brings Kant up you?

Have a heart . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: