Author Topic: Should a parish be allowed to forbid the chotki?  (Read 19582 times)

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Do you ever remove your wrist chotki?
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »
Do you ever remove your wrist chotki? Or do you keep it on always as a sign of prayer without ceasing? Or is that only for monks?

Only ever remove it to flog heretics with it......

Then you best be wearing a 500-knot one made up of semi-precious stones.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »
I don't like this sentiment at all. I find it very possible and good to do both. When I use a prayer rope in church, it is mostly to keep my attention focused on praying, and not all the noise from kids or the flashing of cameras, etc. It is something physical--touching a knot--that helps me pray--and I don't at all tune out the prayers of the liturgy. Rather, I'd be tuning them out if I were trying to combat all the other distractions. So, maybe it's true of some that actually use the prayer rope in church that it makes the liturgy "ambient noise," To me, it seems a complaint of those who have never used a prayer rope in church.

The comment you responded to with this was, admittedly, a caricature.  But I've elaborated on my thoughts in subsequent posts and stand by them.  

To a great extent this is a personal issue.  If you can use the prayer rope and pray the Jesus Prayer without losing one's concentration on the Liturgy, then good.  Personally, I can't use the rope while in the Liturgy, even if I can use the Jesus Prayer.  Perhaps others can't do any of it while in the Liturgy.  Whatever is beneficial for a person should be what they do.  But presumably they're doing this with some sort of input from their priest, and if the parish priest determines that there is some important reason why he should enforce a particular form of "ban" in his community, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt rather than calling him a heretic who doesn't understand Orthodoxy, monasticism, prayer, Jesus, or anything else.    

I doubt St. Ignatiy is emphasized at seminary, if he is read at all in the coursework. I don't think it is something of the priest's own, but rather something he was taught or picked up. It is quite common.

There's a lot to learn in three years of seminary, it's impossible to pick up everything.  Ideally, this is why we don't ordain converts until they've grown some within the Church: seminary should be to supplement what you received in your active Church life, not a three year post-chrismation catechumenate on steroids so that you can be ordained by commencement.    

So I wouldn't say that Brianchaninov is emphasised at seminary, but he is certainly not unknown.  While I was there, I read On the Prayer of Jesus (on my own initiative) and whatever excerpts were in Igumen Chariton's The Art of Prayer (this was part of a class requirement), and The Arena was very enthusiastically recommended to us for regular, continuous reading.  That's more attention than other saints got.  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:35:58 PM by Mor Ephrem »
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »
Do you ever remove your wrist chotki? Or do you keep it on always as a sign of prayer without ceasing? Or is that only for monks?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 10:51:24 PM »

Nothing gets my blood pumping like Tibetan dudes ritualistically debating ideas no one has believed in 2000 years.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
Nothing gets my blood pumping like Tibetan dudes ritualistically debating ideas no one has believed in 2000 years.

Maybe we should also do some ritualistic reenacting: St. Nicholas vs. Arius, St. Cyril vs. Nestorius, St. Gregory Palamas vs. Varlaam & Akyndinos, St. Mark vs. the Latins, Archpriest Avvakum vs. Pat. Nikon. Might quench a bit the urge for heretic blood... Not to mention LARPer instincts. Plus, it'd be a great way to do catechesis.  8)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:11:31 PM by Romaios »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2013, 11:15:18 PM »

Maybe we should also do some ritualistic reenacting: St. Nicholas vs. Arius, St. Cyril vs. Nestorius, St. Gregory Palamas vs. Varlaam & Akyndinos, St. Mark vs. the Latins, Archpriest Avvakum vs. Pat. Nikon. Might quench a bit the urge for heretic blood... Not to mention LARPer instincts. Plus, it'd be a great way to do catechesis.  8)

I got dibs on St. Justinian. LBK can be the pope.  8)
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2013, 11:16:28 PM »

I don't want to be the non-Chalcedonians!  :P
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

An Athonite

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2013, 11:19:05 PM »

You can be St. Theodora the Empress.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:27:06 PM by Romaios »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2013, 11:31:43 PM »

Justinian? Nah. Wrong emperor. I'll take on Theophilus, who was married to Theodora.  :laugh:
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2013, 11:32:43 PM »

Should I take that as a compliment?  ;) :laugh:

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2013, 11:48:29 PM »
Justinian? Nah. Wrong emperor. I'll take on Theophilus, who was married to Theodora.  :laugh:

+

Um...  ;)

An Athonite

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2013, 12:08:39 AM »

+

Um...  ;)

There's always St Kassiane the Hymnographer, who was also a staunch defender of icons, and, unlike Empress Theodora, wasn't afraid of hiding it.  :laugh:

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »
I just wanted to pop in to apologize to PtA for my "heretic" remark regarding his priest "strictly forbidding" the use of the prayer rope in church.  I stand by the other comments I have made on this subject and I do find this policy to be very problematic, but my "heretic" comment caused more trouble than I intended and was not productive to the thread.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »
I just wanted to pop in to apologize to PtA for my "heretic" remark regarding his priest "strictly forbidding" the use of the prayer rope in church.  I stand by the other comments I have made on this subject and I do find this policy to be very problematic, but my "heretic" comment caused more trouble than I intended and was not productive to the thread.
Honestly, until you recant all your criticism of my priest's policy as judgment of that which you know nothing about except for what little I have shared here, your apology rings hollow to me. Calling my priest a heretic is really just the tip of the iceberg. You know nothing of the realities of life in my parish, and I've quite intentionally only scratched the surface of my priest's point of view, so you really have no basis for any of your hasty judgments of my priest's policies.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:13:15 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
I have a few that I've acquired over the years.  I like one in particular because it's made by a friend who no longer posts here.  The only one I used to wear was a small 'bracelet' type.  And I only wore it as a conversation starter. 

PetertheAleut,

I'm curious as to why your priest doesn't like his parishioners to wear them?  My priest (same jurisdiction as yours) has actually told us to wear them (that is, if we intend to use them).  My guess is that he's trying to encourage us to say the Jesus Prayer.  I'm sincerely curious and not asking to argue.  :)
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »
I have a few that I've acquired over the years.  I like one in particular because it's made by a friend who no longer posts here.  The only one I used to wear was a small 'bracelet' type.  And I only wore it as a conversation starter. 

PetertheAleut,

I'm curious as to why your priest doesn't like his parishioners to wear them?  My priest (same jurisdiction as yours) has actually told us to wear them (that is, if we intend to use them).  My guess is that he's trying to encourage us to say the Jesus Prayer.  I'm sincerely curious and not asking to argue.  :)
I think Mor Ephrem has summed up my priest's position sufficiently for this discussion.

Do note that I mentioned only that my priest does not want people wearing their prayer ropes in church during our parish liturgical services. He has said that if people want to wear and use their prayer ropes at home in their private prayers, he has no problem with that.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2013, 06:34:46 PM »

PetertheAleut,

I think Mor Ephrem has summed up my priest's position sufficiently for this discussion.

Do note that I mentioned only that my priest does not want people wearing their prayer ropes in church during our parish liturgical services. He has said that if people want to wear and use their prayer ropes at home in their private prayers, he has no problem with that.
It is a disturbing trend when we feel that we can judge a priest's actions and relation to God based on a few second-hand comments on a website. I don't understand why my priest does all the things he does, but I know he is a good man and I trust that the advice he gives is sound and beneficial for my faith.
God bless!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2013, 06:59:25 PM »

PetertheAleut,

It is a disturbing trend when we feel that we can judge a priest's actions and relation to God based on a few second-hand comments on a website.
Agreed. :(

I don't understand why my priest does all the things he does, but I know he is a good man and I trust that the advice he gives is sound and beneficial for my faith.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2013, 07:51:57 PM »
I just wanted to pop in to apologize to PtA for my "heretic" remark regarding his priest "strictly forbidding" the use of the prayer rope in church.  I stand by the other comments I have made on this subject and I do find this policy to be very problematic, but my "heretic" comment caused more trouble than I intended and was not productive to the thread.
Honestly, until you recant all your criticism of my priest's policy as judgment of that which you know nothing about except for what little I have shared here, your apology rings hollow to me. Calling my priest a heretic is really just the tip of the iceberg. You know nothing of the realities of life in my parish, and I've quite intentionally only scratched the surface of my priest's point of view, so you really have no basis for any of your hasty judgments of my priest's policies.

Well your priest's policies are wrong, so you probably will not get an apology from jah for correcting them.
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
Maybe in our next thread we can have priests who strictly forbid fasting because it started out as a monastic practice. Then if someone objects we can take personal pot-shots without offering any sort of real rebuttal and everyone can commence the usual circlejerk about how clever their constant satirical posts are all agree.  After all, fasting pre-dates Orthodox monasticism.  Someone who thinks otherwise is ignorant and needs to read more books.

Fixed. 

Wrong as usual.
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2013, 08:02:11 PM »

Well your priest's policies are wrong, so you probably will not get an apology from jah for correcting them.

God bless!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2013, 08:12:26 PM »

How wet is that chrism on your forehead? Oh, that's right. You haven't even been chrismated yet.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:45 PM »

How wet is that chrism on your forehead? Oh, that's right. You haven't even been chrismated cremated yet.

FIFY - LOL

Several people in the GOA came up to me after my Chrismation and asked if I were received by Holy Baptism or Cremation.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:19:23 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »

How wet is that chrism on your forehead? Oh, that's right. You haven't even been chrismated yet.

Your priest's position is in direct contradiction to the traditional Orthodox use of prayer ropes. You should man up and accept the fact.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
Maybe in our next thread we can have priests who strictly forbid fasting because it started out as a monastic practice. Then if someone objects we can take personal pot-shots without offering any sort of real rebuttal and everyone can commence the usual circlejerk about how clever their constant satirical posts are all agree.  After all, fasting pre-dates Orthodox monasticism.  Someone who thinks otherwise is ignorant and needs to read more books.

Fixed. 

Wrong as usual.

LOL. 

An Athonite

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2013, 08:28:09 PM »
Your priest's position is in direct contradiction to the traditional Orthodox use of prayer ropes. You should man up and accept the fact.

In this picture you can see how pious Orthodox Christians from Constantinople used to hide their chotkis from their zealous priests during DL.  ;)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »

You know, William, considering that you're a catechumen--or are you an inquirer, I forget--don't you think you would use your time much more wisely by learning the Faith you're about to embrace than by criticizing on the Internet priests you don't even know, priests who have been serving their flocks for more than twice the 18 years you've been walking this earth?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:17:08 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »

PetertheAleut,

Have you ever worn a prayer rope around your priest?  If so, does he start saying "it burns!"?  Just wondering.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2013, 11:14:10 PM »

Well, that is something for his bishop to deal with. His Grace is probably quite busy with more pressing concerns than a blatant attack on traditional Orthodox prayer rope usage. But perhaps a dedicated letter writing campaign would fix that. Everyone loves to get mail.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2013, 11:15:58 PM »

PetertheAleut,

Have you ever worn a prayer rope around your priest?  If so, does he start saying "it burns!"?  Just wondering.

Maybe I could get a 300-knot one. That would maybe be long enough to tie around my priest. But he's a big guy. Maybe 1,000 would be best.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2013, 11:25:22 PM »
Maybe I could get a 300-knot one. That would maybe be long enough to tie around my priest. But he's a big guy. Maybe 1,000 would be best.

Sufis have the longest and largest prayer ropes (Guinness book worthy!), and longest diplomas (see around minute 11 or 12):

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/2873/Howling-for-God--Les-Amoureux-de-Dieu-

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:26:27 PM by Romaios »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2013, 11:25:59 PM »

God bless!

Offline WPM

• Taxiarches
  • I am the Root of Existence
  • Faith: Independent Christian
  • Jurisdiction: N/A
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »

I have .. I have the original certificate from the priest.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:20:03 AM by WPM »
The first 5 books of the Bible.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »

I have .. I have the original certificate from the priest.
I think he was speaking to William.
God bless!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2013, 10:33:59 AM »

Sufis have the longest and largest prayer ropes (Guinness book worthy!), and longest diplomas (see around minute 11 or 12):

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/2873/Howling-for-God--Les-Amoureux-de-Dieu-

Rats. Mala strands stop at 108 beads. Although I suppose one could get a bespoke 10x or 20x one.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2013, 10:40:12 AM »

Rats. Mala strands stop at 108 beads. Although I suppose one could get a bespoke 10x or 20x one.

I really enjoy the word "bespoke."  Makes me feel rich.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »
I'm a member of a parish whose priest sees this as a monastic practice and strictly forbids its use in parish services

The troops are gathering, prayer ropes in hand, to make a surprise visit to PtA's parish:

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2013, 11:03:37 AM »
Because that last picture, the prayer rope is TOTALLY inconspicuous!

Perhaps he should wrap it around his forehead.  We wouldn't want someone to miss the fact that he has his prayer rope.  :D
God bless!

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
C'mon! The last one's 'shopped! No self-respecting dude would wear a PINK chotki!  :P :laugh:

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »
C'mon! The last one's 'shopped! No self-respecting dude would wear a PINK chotki!  :P :laugh:

It is probably red and just looks pink due to lighting/digital transmission.  :)

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »
Armed and dangerous, wondering how "Fr. Strictly Forbidden" will respond:

There is a prayer rope in their somewhere!!!  Or, is there.....?  :o

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »
jah777, are you no longer capable of providing a reasoned response to anything I say, such that you choose to resort to juvenile tomfoolery?

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
Somebody tipped off "Fr. Strictly Forbidden" and he has mounted his lookout tower, keeping watch for those who may dare to approach his parish wearing one of those prayer rope things.  Pious faithful are urged to use extreme caution.

Intelligence indicates that PtA may be the source that informed him of the surprise visit by prayer rope wearing faithful.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:53:37 AM by jah777 »

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
jah777, are you no longer capable of providing a reasoned response to anything I say, such that you choose to resort to juvenile tomfoolery?

My capability has not diminished, but I have provided enough reasoned responses and now I am just having fun with it.   ;)

If your priest asks, tell him an Elder told you that he was wrong.  Look under my username on the left.  It says "Elder".  OCNet has certified me, so it's true.   8)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »

My capability has not diminished, but I have provided enough reasoned responses and now I am just having fun with it.   ;)
There is no reason in a "reasoned" response to an imagined problem.