Author Topic: Should a parish be allowed to forbid the chotki?  (Read 19560 times)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Do you ever remove your wrist chotki?
« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »
I guess I'm just not a fan of a priest "strictly forbidding" something which saints explicitly recommend.

One saint, actually.

...I'm also sure that we could find among them many who may have agreed with the priest in question...

Who wants to take up the challenge to find a single saint who shared the opinion of this priest?  It would be interesting to see.
Why does it matter so much to you what my priest does in his parish?

We are part of the same body.  Shouldn't we care what Orthodox priests do in their parishes, particularly if it sounds problematic from the context of Orthodox tradition?  Parishes are not separate and isolated religions, and priests do not have the blessing to do whatever they want.  As Orthodox Christians, we should care what our fellow Orthodox Christians are being taught.
But that doesn't give anyone the authority to be a busybody about it, as you have been. We have bishops to enforce the Tradition of the Church upon our priests. You certainly have the freedom to voice your opinion, but that's really all you can do here. Do you have the authority to enforce your opinion upon my priest? No, you do not.

Shanghaiski expressed the assumption that we can probably find saints that agreed with your priest that prayer ropes should not be used in church.  Since he offered the assertion, I would love to see the claim demonstrated. 

So far, the only real argument made against using the prayer rope in church is that doing so prevents one from fully participating in the common prayers.  I provided the quote from St. Ignatius (Brianchaninov) expressing the common understanding of how and why the Jesus Prayer is said during services, in order to drive away distractions and focus on the common prayers.  In other words, saying the Jesus Prayer can greatly help a person to participate in the common prayers of the Church.  Prayer ropes are a great help in saying the Jesus Prayer.  So, to say "no prayer ropes" is to discourage the use of the Jesus Prayer, which can discourage attentive participation in the common services, which is problematic.

Yes, I provided only one quote from one saint, but he expresses the common understanding of the Church regarding the use of the Jesus Prayer during services.
Does he really? Without any corroborating evidence from any other Fathers or saints, that's really just a bare assertion that begs the question. What Church? I know you have a history here of extrapolating the traditions you've learned in the ROCOR and projecting them as normative for all Orthodox Christians in all jurisdictions. Why am I to think you're not doing that now? You say that St. Ignatius expresses the common understanding of the Church on the use of the Jesus Prayer during services. I'd like to see you post evidence of that claim.

The fact that it is very common in traditional monasteries to find monks using their prayer ropes in the common services is evidence of this.  Why would an abbot allow his monks to use prayer ropes in the services if it would prevent their full participation?
And the experience of the monasteries is to be seen as normative for all Orthodox parishes? I could argue at great length against this mentality, but others have already done so, so I'm not going to add to what they've already done.

The quote from the OCA website against "saying your own prayers" during the common services is correct if it is referring to saying other prayers from a prayer book or the psalms rather than the Jesus Prayer, since these longer and non-repetitive prayers would divert attention from the common service and prevent a person from participating in the service.

Now, to add a quote from St. Moses of Optina (The Elder Moses of Optina, Holy Nativity Convent, Boston, MA, 1996, p. 62.):

While you are standing in church, you must say the Jesus Prayer. Then you will also hear the church service distinctly.
Another saint's opinion. Hardly evidence of any common understanding of the Church.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2013, 11:34:50 AM »
I would like patristic quotes on the type of material that prayer ropes should be made of and what colors they can be. The only one I could find so far is St. Varsonofy Panteleimonovich Krestovozdvizhensky who stated: "It is not permitted to have mixed fibers in the prayer rope for it is a symbol of mixing evil with the good.  It should only be made of pure alpaca wool and spun in a counter-clockwise motion.  Only then can the prayers be released from the thread for clockwise spinning is symbol of the Evil one and we must follow the direction of the procession of our Divine Liturgy. Woe to you who do not have access to an alpaca but through ekonomia, we may use the wool of a sheep."

Does anyone else have further quotes on this most serious crisis facing our Church?

Sarcasm loses some of its humor and effectiveness the closer it gets to blasphemy.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #182 on: September 06, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »
I would like patristic quotes on the type of material that prayer ropes should be made of and what colors they can be. The only one I could find so far is St. Varsonofy Panteleimonovich Krestovozdvizhensky who stated: "It is not permitted to have mixed fibers in the prayer rope for it is a symbol of mixing evil with the good.  It should only be made of pure alpaca wool and spun in a counter-clockwise motion.  Only then can the prayers be released from the thread for clockwise spinning is symbol of the Evil one and we must follow the direction of the procession of our Divine Liturgy. Woe to you who do not have access to an alpaca but through ekonomia, we may use the wool of a sheep."

Does anyone else have further quotes on this most serious crisis facing our Church?

Sarcasm loses some of its humor and effectiveness the closer it gets to blasphemy.
And where you do you see blasphemy there?
God bless!

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2013, 12:11:50 PM »
I know you have a history here of extrapolating the traditions you've learned in the ROCOR and projecting them as normative for all Orthodox Christians in all jurisdictions. Why am I to think you're not doing that now?

Quite an interesting claim, since I am not a member of ROCOR but of the GOA.   ???

And the experience of the monasteries is to be seen as normative for all Orthodox parishes?

No, I am not making the broad claim that the experience of monasteries should be normative for all Orthodox parishes.  Monasteries can certainly be helpful resources to learn about prayer, why monks use prayer ropes during services, and whether such practices are for monastics only or also for the laity.  As I said before, it is ridiculous to assert that only monastics need help in driving away distractions during services in order to participate more attentively in the prayers.  If monastics need help remaining attentive in the services, the laity need even more help! 

Since you mentioned ROCOR before, I wish I still was in our old ROCOR parish where men and women stood separately and the women dressed very modestly.  At our GOA parish, women dress very provocatively  :o.  Thank God for the prayer rope!  It is a great help in keeping away unwanted thoughts and distractions! 8)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2013, 12:37:18 PM »
It should only be made of pure alpaca wool and spun in a counter-clockwise motion.

Ain't doin' nuffink widdershins, yerroner! :P
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • I am the Provisional Supreme Church Authority
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »
I would also like to make a strong argument regarding Tierra del Fuego as having insufficient Orthodox representation.  Heaven forbid if William should choose to move there.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Orthodox burning in hell, so William will be in good company should he decide he wants to go there.

Oh, you didn't mean that Land of Fire...sorry.
OC.NET is full of temptations, but in temptations we are enforced, remember about the thread "Temptation in the Desert: Rachel Weisz and the Undoing of Mor Ephrem". OC.NET helps in becoming unpassionate.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2013, 02:56:46 PM »
Another saint's opinion. Hardly evidence of any common understanding of the Church.

There is nothing in the words quoted of St. Ignatius (Brianchaninov) or St. Moses of Optina that can be said to be "opinion".  Their words express the common experience and instructions of the saints.  Show saints and Fathers that had a different "opinion" if you think their words are opinion rather than the expression of consensus.

Again, I am not saying that everyone *must* use a prayer rope in church.  The problem is *strictly forbidding* the use of a prayer rope in church.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »

the chotkis most loaded with grace are made of pure athonite hair; don't you know the fathers are shorn after Pentecost for this very purpose. for a modest donation I can send you one.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »

Did I say there was blasphemy there? No. I said it was closer to it than away from it.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2013, 03:07:20 PM »

the chotkis most loaded with grace are made of pure athonite hair; don't you know the fathers are shorn after Pentecost for this very purpose. for a modest donation I can send you one.
I can get that from my earwax and kumis broker.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »

Did I say there was blasphemy there? No. I said it was closer to it than away from it.
I can see an argument for questionable taste, but I don't see anything near blasphemy.  Sorry if I have offended.
God bless!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #191 on: September 06, 2013, 04:12:52 PM »
I know you have a history here of extrapolating the traditions you've learned in the ROCOR and projecting them as normative for all Orthodox Christians in all jurisdictions. Why am I to think you're not doing that now?

Quite an interesting claim, since I am not a member of ROCOR but of the GOA.   ???
I remember you stating in your profile many moons ago that you were at that time a member of ROCOR. Your statements below confirm this.

And the experience of the monasteries is to be seen as normative for all Orthodox parishes?

No, I am not making the broad claim that the experience of monasteries should be normative for all Orthodox parishes.  Monasteries can certainly be helpful resources to learn about prayer, why monks use prayer ropes during services, and whether such practices are for monastics only or also for the laity.  As I said before, it is ridiculous to assert that only monastics need help in driving away distractions during services in order to participate more attentively in the prayers.  If monastics need help remaining attentive in the services, the laity need even more help! 

Since you mentioned ROCOR before, I wish I still was in our old ROCOR parish where men and women stood separately and the women dressed very modestly.  At our GOA parish, women dress very provocatively  :o.  Thank God for the prayer rope!  It is a great help in keeping away unwanted thoughts and distractions! 8)

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #192 on: September 06, 2013, 04:48:52 PM »

Yes, prayer ropes restrain me from.. never mind.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #193 on: September 06, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »

There is nothing in the words quoted of St. Ignatius (Brianchaninov) or St. Moses of Optina that can be said to be "opinion".  Their words express the common experience and instructions of the saints.  Show saints and Fathers that had a different "opinion" if you think their words are opinion rather than the expression of consensus.
No. You're making the claim that Sts. Ignatius and Moses express the common experience and instruction of the saints, the common understanding of the Church. It's your burden to prove your claims, not mine to refute them.

Again, I am not saying that everyone *must* use a prayer rope in church.  The problem is *strictly forbidding* the use of a prayer rope in church.
Again, if you have a problem with such a prohibition, don't come to my church. Problem solved. Just don't judge a priest's pastoral policies based on what little is shared of them by one of his parishioners on an Internet discussion board. Many other posters on this thread have given a solid defense from the public teaching of the Church to support my priest on this issue. You don't have to agree with them, but you cannot say that only your position has the support of the Church, especially without proof.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #194 on: September 06, 2013, 06:02:25 PM »

No better restraint than 100 knots. :angel:
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2013, 06:29:30 PM »

500 for multiple Greek temptresses.  It's not my fault!  They dress provocatively :o ::) ;D

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2013, 06:40:01 PM »

500 for multiple Greek temptresses.  It's not my fault!  They dress provocatively :o ::) ;D

It's all about not hiding our lights. Yes, that. 8)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »

You naughty, naughty girl, you!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2013, 10:12:45 PM »

It's all about not hiding our lights. Yes, that. 8)

Yes, quite bright 'round these parts during DL.

Offline OrthoNoob

• OC.net guru
« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2013, 10:12:53 PM »
I have three (all gifts) but almost never wear them...I wore one for a while when I was a catechumen, as a symbol of my faith more than anything, but now I have a cross, so that's no longer necessary.
http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2013, 10:17:54 PM »
I am so confused by some of the more recent posts. Perhaps that is for the best in this case...  ??? :angel: :police:
"when Mme. Vauquer lay down to rest on the day of M. Goriot's installation, her heart, like a larded partridge, sweltered before the fire of a burning desire to shake off the shroud of Vauquer and rise again as Goriot." - Balzac

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »
Many other posters on this thread have given a solid defense from the public teaching of the Church to support my priest on this issue. You don't have to agree with them, but you cannot say that only your position has the support of the Church, especially without proof.

I have seen no solid defense, just the false claim that using a prayer rope in church is somehow a hindrance to full participation, whereas the saints encourage the use of the prayer rope in order to listen and participate more fully in the services.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2013, 10:04:59 AM »
Many other posters on this thread have given a solid defense from the public teaching of the Church to support my priest on this issue. You don't have to agree with them, but you cannot say that only your position has the support of the Church, especially without proof.

I have seen no solid defense, just the false claim that using a prayer rope in church is somehow a hindrance to full participation,
If it's a false claim, then prove it false. Besides, you're missing the point that the issue isn't full participation in the services, but rather participation in the services in full union with the community.

whereas the saints encourage the use of the prayer rope in order to listen and participate more fully in the services.
TWO saints. That's all you've really cited thus far. You need to cite a lot more than just two saints, those saints need to span a much greater time frame than just one century, and those saints need to represent much more than just one national church for you to prove any "common understanding of the Church".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:10:40 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »

I have seen no solid defense, just the false claim that Using a prayer rope in church is somehow can be a hindrance to full participation for the congregants in the particular parish that the priest has experience shepherding, whereas the saints encourage the use of the prayer rope in order to listen and participate more fully in the services.

Fixed for you.
God bless!

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »

I have seen no solid defense, just the false claim that using a prayer rope in church is somehow a hindrance to full participation, whereas the saints encourage the use of the prayer rope in order to listen and participate more fully in the services.

But, it IS a distraction.

Even people leafing through the "hymnals" that are placed in the pews in some churchs are a distraction.  The person isn't "listening" or "praying" but, leafing through the pages trying to "keep up".  It's better that they simply listen and "catch" what's being said.

The prayer rope is even worse....because the individual is no longer even following or trying to "keep up" with the Liturgy, but, is participating in an individual prayer.

When we are gathered as a group to worship God during the Divine Liturgy, we are all a part of ONE body.  We no longer pray for "I, me, my",...but, for "us, we, ours".  The ONLY "individual" prayer during the entire service is the recitation of the Creed, where we can only speak for ourselves in what we believe, because we aren't sure what Joe standing to our right believes or Judy on our left.  "I" believe....

Otherwise, we are to focus on the us, and the salvation of all, not just ourselves.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
Is it so impossible to keep private prayers during private time and corporate prayers during congregational times?
God bless!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Should a parish be allowed to forbid the chotki?
« Reply #206 on: October 27, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
This is probably the thread of controversy.  I want people to familiarize themselves with the rule before continuing this discussion:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=rules

The question is "Should a parish be allowed to forbid the chotki?"  The discussion should be professional, mature, and should not resort to any insults or attacks.  Now, people may be "rude" to a particular line of argument, and I want to give people this anecdote.  If you feel angry when you type, please do the sign of the Cross and say "Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner."  Reflect on your weakness as a sinner and then proceed to give your frank and blunt argument without trying to walk a thin line of the rules of this forum to offend the other.  At the same time, familiarize yourself with the rules so that you won't be disappointed with my PM if I don't take an action on a poster who doesn't break the rules.  Please, love one another even if you disagree with one another.  And if you forget what love entails, read 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.

God bless.

Mina
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
Re: Should a parish be allowed to forbid the chotki?
« Reply #207 on: October 28, 2013, 01:09:11 AM »
this whole thread is a joke

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM EXPLICIT REMARKS THAT HAVE AN OBSCENE REFERENCE.  THANK YOU

MINA
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:14:17 AM by minasoliman »
I am a demonic servant! Beware!