OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 10:53:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling someone "Father"  (Read 1078 times) Average Rating: 0
orthodox4life

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

« on: September 17, 2013, 02:54:14 PM »

I'm new to Orthodoxy and my wife who is not, asked "how can you call someone father when the scriptures say not to"? I know it also says don't call anyone teacher either and they call people teachers but I was looking for a better explanation.

ref: Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.
Matthew 23:9
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:54:41 PM by orthodox4life » Logged

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »

Ask your wife what she calls her father. Pops, Dad, Papa, etc.. are the same as Father, so what is the big deal?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
orthodox4life

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »

I don't want to sound condescending to her by saying something like that. To her the scripture says not to so I need a reasonable explanation.

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »

I don't want to sound condescending to her by saying something like that. To her the scripture says not to so I need a reasonable explanation.

But if, "to her the scripture says not to" call someone father, that should include earthly parents and not simply spiritual ones.  That's not condescending, that's just the plain sense of the words.  So unless she refers to her biological male parent as "progenitor" or something like that, she's probably not in accordance with the plain sense of the words.  But if the argument is that "That doesn't mean I can't call my father my father...", then you have a direction in which to walk. 

I Corinthians 4.15

For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
orthodox4life

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »

But if, "to her the scripture says not to" call someone father, that should include earthly parents and not simply spiritual ones.  That's not condescending, that's just the plain sense of the words.  So unless she refers to her biological male parent as "progenitor" or something like that, she's probably not in accordance with the plain sense of the words.  But if the argument is that "That doesn't mean I can't call my father my father...", then you have a direction in which to walk.

I see your point and I agree with you. But the answer seems to make an excuse for calling someone father rather than an explanation as to why we call a priest father.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:23 PM »

Use context of Scripture, like your example.  Christ is also our Pastor, but Protestants call their leaders "pastor."  No says anything about that.  Christ is our Master, but we throw that label around by calling artists or tradesmen "masters" of their craft.  Christ is our Judge, yet we give that title to many and have the gall to say "Your honor."  Christ is our King, yet many on earth are monarchs anr are addressed, "Your majesty."  It's hard to use examples not in the Bible, if your wife will only subscribe to the Bible.  No example will be reasonable unless you have chapter and vers in hand.  I struggle with this too with my wife.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:52 PM »

In the same passage, he also says to call no man Rabbi or teacher.

Paul also tells people that he is their Father, and they are not his biological decendents.

Christ was speaking in hyperbole and referring to it in a more transcendent sense.  We should not equate any man as being the equivalent of God our Father or God as our Teacher.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
orthodox4life

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »

In the same passage, he also says to call no man Rabbi or teacher.

Paul also tells people that he is their Father, and they are not his biological decendents.

Christ was speaking in hyperbole and referring to it in a more transcendent sense.  We should not equate any man as being the equivalent of God our Father or God as our Teacher.

Good point. That's something I can work with. Thanks everyone.... angel

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:36:12 PM »

Since this is your wife, I don't recommend this but I often ask people who bring up this verse, how they decide (on what basis, using what methods/criteria) what parts of Scripture should be understood/interpreted literally.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
orthodox4life

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »

Since this is your wife, I don't recommend this but I often ask people who bring up this verse, how they decide (on what basis, using what methods/criteria) what parts of Scripture should be understood/interpreted literally.

To your point and the one TheTrisagion made in his reply about hyperbole got me thinking along the lines of examples about taking certain scripture literally that were not meant to be. Like in Matt 5:29 where it says "“If thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out". Very good points to build on...thanks

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Jovan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »

I´ve heard many orthodox priest commenting on Christ words on this same theme. That no one needs to be called father, teacher or any other thing out of pride, that you lift up yourself because you are a teacher, a father, a pastor, a priest, a mother etc.

If Christ only meant for us to condemn the use of these 2 names, whereas we use both in our common language. Can we still call someone high priest in the light of an none orthodox tradition? If Christ gave us this strict command not to use only these 2 names, then we have to consider all the other names he didn´t mention. Can someone within a church be called king? Queen? Dracula? Christ never condemned the use of these, so then it must be okey. But in the light of these names being used as a mark of pride, then many other names are suddenly included.

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »

I would suggest you my dear brother, to bring examples which Christ didn´t mention. As for example High Priest, and ask her for what reason this term may sound negative if a human receives it. Pride,power or something along these lines will probably be the answer. This is what Christ wanted to condemn, the use of pride, not the use of names.

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »

It is a personal pet peeve of mine, but I find it annoying when you ask (Orthodox) people about why the Church finds something acceptable when it appears to be condemned in Scripture, but rather than explaining what the correct interpretation is, they just bring up other situations when similar things occur or other seeming contradictions.  If I wanted to find a list of seeming contradictions, I would go talk to atheists.  

*steps off soapbox*

orthodox4life

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »

It is a personal pet peeve of mine, but I find it annoying when you ask (Orthodox) people about why the Church finds something acceptable when it appears to be condemned in Scripture, but rather than explaining what the correct interpretation is, they just bring up other situations when similar things occur or other seeming contradictions.  If I wanted to find a list of seeming contradictions, I would go talk to atheists.

Yes me too. I guess you have to of come from a protestant background to understand that. I always have to be very careful about getting into being right vs being righteousness arguments. Since I'm different, my every step is put under a microscope by protestant friends and family.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »

You seem to be a very humble and loving person my dear brother, regardless of your situation. Please pray for me that I might gain the same strength as you orthodox4life Smiley You´ve been put under a microscope for a reason, be strong my brother and you will see changes!

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »

It is a personal pet peeve of mine, but I find it annoying when you ask (Orthodox) people about why the Church finds something acceptable when it appears to be condemned in Scripture, but rather than explaining what the correct interpretation is, they just bring up other situations when similar things occur or other seeming contradictions.  If I wanted to find a list of seeming contradictions, I would go talk to atheists.

Yes me too. I guess you have to of come from a protestant background to understand that. I always have to be very careful about getting into being right vs being righteousness arguments. Since I'm different, my every step is put under a microscope by protestant friends and family.
Yep, as a protestant, if you would point something out like that, the solution would have been to stop calling your dad, "father" and start referring to him by his given name or something.  Fortunately, I don't know of any who have gone to cutting off hands.  laugh

DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »

If  you listen to podcasts, Ancient Faith Radio has one by Fr. Thomas Hopko on this topic.

It's called 'call no man father' and is dated April 12th, 2010.

It's about 30 min long and I found it very good. 
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »

I see your point and I agree with you. But the answer seems to make an excuse for calling someone father rather than an explanation as to why we call a priest father.

"For while you have many teachers in Christ, you have not many fathers," said St. Paul, referring to himself as a father of the Christians he brought to faith--spiritually begetting them. There you go.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »

The apostle Paul called Abraham father and he called Timothy his son. Should we imagine that timothy didn't call Paul father or think of him in such a way? Is merely calling someone a father the sin or the intent behind falling them father?

Thank you.
davillas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 06:35:49 PM »

There is a better example in the Bible :

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

So when someone asks you why you call your priest father, ask him if he hates his parents because it is written in the Bible to do that. Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »

There is a better example in the Bible :

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

So when someone asks you why you call your priest father, ask him if he hates his parents because it is written in the Bible to do that. Smiley

Post that in one of yeshuaisiam's threads. See if it matters to him.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »

If  you listen to podcasts, Ancient Faith Radio has one by Fr. Thomas Hopko on this topic.

It's called 'call no man father' and is dated April 12th, 2010.

It's about 30 min long and I found it very good. 
I am listening to the podcast now.  It is an informative lesson.
orthodox4life

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 10:14:47 PM »

Can someone give me the link to that podcast? I did a search but can't find it.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 02:19:56 AM »

Can someone give me the link to that podcast? I did a search but can't find it.

AFR is acting up, but the audio is on the youtube in the meantime in three parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjOAS4hyWWg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APdFL22-WY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw4bwKqp_aE

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: