OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:40:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethiopian Orthodox Church  (Read 1014 times) Average Rating: 0
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« on: September 16, 2013, 11:59:35 PM »

I've just found out the nearest COC is 60 miles away from where I'll be moving to in NC.  Cry

However there is an small Ethiopian Orthodox Church literally 5min away from my new location! I'm wondering are there any major differences from the COC I need to know about if attending besides language. Do women also sit apart from men? Do women also cover their hair, and so on?

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 01:51:37 AM »

While I've never had the pleasure of attending a Tewahedo kidase myself, it seems like their customs are very similar to ours with regards to the separation of the sexes and covering, with the obvious difference being the degree of covering (as far as I've seen in my home parish or the parish I visited in AZ, we don't have anything like the netela, the long white shawl that women wear which covers the head and shoulders, or for that matter the kuta, which is the male version). Check out this short clip of an Ethiopian liturgy celebrated in Minnesota to see what it's like. I hope you'll attend the church near you and tell us all about your experience. Smiley

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:28:05 AM »

Yes, women sit on the right and men on the left. Wear white if you can and yes, cover your head. But you will be welcomed either way.  Smiley

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 04:03:10 AM »

i have been to 2 eritrean services (very similar to ethiopian) and the only differences from coptic liturgy (as far as i can see) is:
1. that everyone takes off their shoes before entering the church, not inside the church at the place you sit/stand. wear bright coloured shoes so that you can find them easily on exiting. long boots and complex shoelaces should be left at home!
2. no one at all follows the 'no kneeling on sunday' custom of other orthodox churches. everyone prostrates 3 times on entering the church and several times during the liturgy (but not after taking Holy Communion!)

in my experience, visiting non east africans don't wear white; some pale loose clothes will do (the traditional white clothes are sometimes used to cover the skinny jeans and cropped jackets!), and women cover their heads (even after Holy Communion).
some of the ethiopian and eritrean churches have got stuck in the modern habit of people not taking Holy Communion very often, so you may see mainly children and the elderly going up, which is different from the coptic experience.
stick around afterwards, and make friends, i was very welcome at the churches i visited and found the ladies to be very friendly. you may find the men are shy around women, so give it a few weeks before you make friends with the guys.
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:36:12 PM »

Hi Rebecca.  Other than what everyone else has said, just be aware that the services start very early and are never short.  Most of the Ethiopian Churches I've served in start the raising of incense at 4:30 AM.  Since you're not serving in the altar though, if you get there by 7:00 am (or perhaps later, if you're so inclined), you'll still be good.  All told, you'll be there past noon.  You'll enjoy the chanting.  It's very beautiful, but there will likely be no English at all.  You might want to buy a white shamma or gabi (cloth) to wear over your street clothes if you're going to be attending long term, but it's not mandatory.  Oh, and you know how in the Coptic Church the men go up for Communion before the women?  Well, in the Ethiopian Church, the women go up before the men.  I hope you find a real spiritual home there!

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: