OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 12:17:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Charles to marry longtime lover Camilla  (Read 2116 times) Average Rating: 0
TonyS
High Elder

« on: February 10, 2005, 01:37:42 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6945019/?GT1=6190

I am placing this in this category because of the mention of the position of the CoE regarding divorce/remarriage and the implications for Charles being the future head of the CoE..

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 01:41:46 PM »

In general, the Church of England, the legally established faith of the nation, disapproves of remarriage of divorced people in church.

I admit to not being terribly familiar with the CoE; but, this seems a bit rigid given other matters. 

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 01:44:04 PM »

Yeah, looks like a good time for Lambeth Palace and Buck-house to part ways. A majority of Brits (56% according to the Guardian) feel the Prince of Wales should be allowed to marry Camilla Parker-Bowles and still inherit the throne. A majority also feel it's time to disestablish the CofE. Prince Charles isn't the keenist Anglican anyway-he visits Mount Athos freq and attends Orthodox services w/ Prince Philip.
Andrew Parker Bowles: the man who laid down his wife for his country.

Proverbs 22:7
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 02:38:18 AM »

I don't know how the newsreaders here in Greece managed to keep straight faces while announcing this news. "Camilla" is pronounced exactly the same way (and in Greek it is spelled the same way) as the Greek word for camel and the way the announcement was phrased on a couple of news broadcasts was as follows

Prince Charles is going to marry his Camel

I don't recommend she accompanies him on his visits to Greece, although Greeks may be kind and find a different way to pronounce her name (unlikely though. They're having way too much fun with it). It was necessary for Charlton Heston, who has his surname pronounced "Easten" in Greece, since "Hes ton" literally means "Sh*t on him"

John
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 09:56:23 AM »

I don't know how the newsreaders here in Greece managed to keep straight faces while announcing this news. "Camilla" is pronounced exactly the same way (and in Greek it is spelled the same way) as the Greek word for camel and the way the announcement was phrased on a couple of news broadcasts was as follows

Prince Charles is going to marry his Camel

I don't recommend she accompanies him on his visits to Greece, although Greeks may be kind and find a different way to pronounce her name (unlikely though. They're having way too much fun with it). It was necessary for Charlton Heston, who has his surname pronounced "Easten" in Greece, since "Hes ton" literally means "Sh*t on him"

Just hilarious!!!  Grin Grin  If the shoe fits...

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 10:03:15 AM »

I am glad they are going to do it (marry) quietly but I dont think Charles will be on the throne for long anyway...his mother is goign to be around a long time yet, and by the time he takes the throne he'll be pretty old himself.  Since he can't be divorced/remarried and head of the Anglican church, a simple abdication at some point would (one could hope) quickly take care of this matter.  Rules are rules, why  should they change them in a hurry just for him? 

Camel...love it.  Poor Camilla, she's horsey enough, but camel?
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 10:07:35 PM »

God Bless them both. May they live in hapiness and have ugly, ugly children! Tongue Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy laugh

Ian Lazarus :grommit:

Raised by a cup of coffee! :coffee:

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 03:50:17 PM »

I wonder who will officiate, as the Anglican Church doesn't allow re-marriage for divorcees with the ex still alive. They won't make an exception just because he is Prince, will they? In the 1930s, King Edward VIII abdicated to marry a divorcee. I wonder how come Charles can marry Camilla and still be Head of the Anglican Church.

At the same time, I am not expressing disapproval, I just have no firm position. Why, for all we know, he may have secretly converted to Orthodoxy, and if such a thing is found permissible, may even secretly marry Camilla in an Orthodox service, who knows?

NULL
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 04:44:31 PM »

the plan is for a civil ceremony

observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 04:46:52 PM »

Interesting!  That's exactly my thought.  They could both be Orthdox already, secretly like Lord North, the guy who waged war on you rebels! (and lost..)

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 06:09:44 AM »

All,

As a Brit (by nationality if not ancestry) I can honestly say that hardly anybody here seems to care what Charles and Camilla do (that's camel in Romanian, also, by the way!). It's clear that Charles is interested in Orthodoxy, his father had to give up Orthodoxy to marry the Queen (but still crosses himself like we do in public) and his grandmother became a nun after his grandfather's death. It's about time that the Church of England was disestablished. This would be good for the royal family because they could choose whichever religion they wanted, good for the state (I would argue there's no place for an established church in a state like modern Britain), good for the Church of England because they would no longer have to put up with intereference from parliament, and good for all the other churches, including us Orthodox. If this marriage starts people thinking in that direction then it will be for the good.

What Crucifer said is true. Charles and Camilla are going to have a civil wedding, but this is to be followed by a service of blessing by the Church of England (in St. George's chapel in Windsor Castle). That strikes me as somewhat hypocritical - their wedding clearly not being good enough for the church, but they'll bless it anyway. I don't suppose I should be surprised, though. This is far from the first time I've seen hypocrisy in the Church of England.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 07:01:58 AM »

"Mindful of the Church's teaching that marriage is indissoluble and conscious of my duty to the Commonwealth, I have resolved to put these considerations above all others"...
So said Chuck's Aunt Meg 50 years ago.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: