OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:22:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Atheist Church" begins in England  (Read 2784 times) Average Rating: 0
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« on: September 16, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/16/atheists-set-to-go-on-global-missionary-tour-to-establish-godless-church-congregations-around-the-world/

And they say that Atheism isn't a religion...  Roll Eyes

"[The Lord] shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3)
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »

I'd love to see Arachne's take on this ....  Wink laugh
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »

They put the "moron" in the "oxymoron."
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »

They're just being silly.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:11:03 PM »

I look forward to seeing how this goes. There have been several attempts at something similar, but generally in single locations, and not along these exact lines. It would certainly be more welcome than the next best thing, which are Unitarian Universalist congregations.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:11:23 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »

Haven't we already discussed this atheist church before?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:18:52 PM »

Haven't we already discussed this atheist church before?

I thought that was a single attempt at something like this in the Southern US, with no attempt to "spread it" (evangelize)... though I could be misremembering.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »

^ Sign of the times: Atheist Chuches...!?!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:23:49 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
vorgos

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 02:01:01 PM »

and there is more....

Former Baptist turned Methodist preacher, Ms MacBain calls it quits saying...

Her first public comments, a few weeks later, sounded brash, as she told a convention of atheists that she would gladly burn in hell with them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/21/us/after-a-crisis-of-faith-finding-a-new-secular-mission.html

Now, 18 months into a new life, Ms. MacBain is bringing much of her old one to the task of building congregations of nonbelievers. She has been hired as the director of the Humanist Community Project at Harvard with the mandate to travel the country helping atomized groups of atheists, agnostics, humanists and freethinkers replicate the communal structure and support that organized religion provides to its faithful.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:01:43 PM by vorgos » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »

Nope. They just realize that people are not satisfied with cold and rational books about philosophy. These churches are one way of facing the reality.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »

You mean they've never heard of Dawkinism?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081215192919AAgIfN3

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »

No need for atheists to start a church.  They could join the Church of England and be right at home.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:14:55 PM by James2 » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 02:18:18 PM »

No need for atheists to start a church.  They could join the Church of England and be right at home.

ROFL
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »

BAM!

/thread

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »

BAM!

/thread

No, not yet.

/thread
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 03:46:57 PM »

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »

Nope. They just realize that people are not satisfied with cold and rational books about philosophy. These churches are one way of facing the reality.

The unfortunate part is that there are atheists/agnostics/etc. who are perfectly satisfied with such things, and they are very insistent in saying that other people should be satisfied with that as well. It's sort of the same basic mindset and approach as religious people who insist that faith is all you need and who don't understand why anyone would have issues getting with the program.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:07:22 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 06:25:22 PM »

Seriously? I would think most atheists would feel quite at home at a Unitarian church. And I'm not being snarky; they're known for welcoming people of "any or no belief", at least the ones I visited in my misbegotten youth.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »

Seriously? I would think most atheists would feel quite at home at a Unitarian church. And I'm not being snarky; they're known for welcoming people of "any or no belief", at least the ones I visited in my misbegotten youth.

True.  If the Unitarians had a creed, it might begin with "We believe in at most one God . . ."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »

I dunno, I've attended the local UU church here a few times and if I was an atheist it'd be the last place I'd want to be. From what I remember of the church services, one went something like: some chit chat, something about Native American spirituality from a Native American fellow, a couple songs from the Protestant hymnal, some time to share what was going on in your life, another Protestant hymn, a sermon for 15 minutes about how the Bible has errors but the New Testament is a great basis for morality, how we can learn a lot from Buddhism, and other such things, a final Protestant hymn, then closing stuff. That was followed by coffee time and some very light discussion. I suppose if I considered myself "spiritual" or wanted to socialize it'd be a fine place. But as either an atheist or traditional Christian it didn't seem to have much to offer.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:56:40 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Santagranddad
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 07:06:37 PM »

Well as long as they don't frighten the horses  Undecided
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »

I wonder what kind of parish festival they will have. 

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »

From http://atheism.about.com/od/whoareatheists/a/AtheistsChurch.htm:

"In the United States there are several groups which count themselves as religious but either don't require belief in any gods or actually discourage belief in the traditional god of orthodox Christianity. These groups include Ethical Culture, the Unitarian-Universalist Church, and a variety of Religious Humanist organizations. Many, many atheists are members of these groups and regularly attend meetings or services on Sunday mornings (or at some other time during the week)."

So again, why not the UU?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 07:44:31 PM »

"In the United States there are several groups which count themselves as religious but either don't require belief in any gods or actually discourage belief in the traditional god of orthodox Christianity. These groups include Ethical Culture, the Unitarian-Universalist Church, and a variety of Religious Humanist organizations. Many, many atheists are members of these groups and regularly attend meetings or services on Sunday mornings (or at some other time during the week)."

Many UU congregations actually use the word "God" in their services, and even those that don't, accept the UU principle of "Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations" and acknowledge that some of the sources UU draws upon include (1) "Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life"; (2) "Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves"; and (3) "Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature".

"Atheist" churches seem to take a more antagonistic view toward religions and spiritualities.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »

I wonder what kind of parish festival they will have. 

Some kind of sporting event like soccer.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »

See my post above. Or that of Jetavan. Or don't, up to you.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 02:37:35 PM »

I wonder if they will even have a holy book, or maybe their services will degenerate into orgies Wink. I don't know how this atheist church will be able to stay together, because it might eventually become the thing that it is opposed to: organized religion.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »

Hey, if they want to meet up and talk about how something can come from nothing, who am I to judge these people.  Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »

Well, the orgy stuff might be excessive, but it's a joke, ain't it?
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 06:23:52 PM »

Many UU congregations actually use the word "God" in their services, and even those that don't, accept the UU principle of "Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations" and acknowledge that some of the sources UU draws upon include (1) "Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life"; (2) "Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves"; and (3) "Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature".

"Atheist" churches seem to take a more antagonistic view toward religions and spiritualities.

But to be fair, not all atheists are Atheists(tm). Some just don't believe in God, but aren't out to convert. Those are the ones that would probably join the UU or similar groups, for the social atmosphere.

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 06:27:37 PM »

So its the athiest coffee club essentially.

Thank you.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 06:28:30 PM »

Didn't Julian try to make a heathen imitation of the Church before these guys came up with it? That didn't work out and neither will this.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:30:16 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 06:29:20 PM »

So its the athiest coffee club essentially.

A quick Google search shows that those exist (though spelled "atheist" for some strange reason).  Cool

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »

Didn't Julian try to make a heathen imitation of the Church before these guys came up with it? That didn't work out and neither will this.

I have the book in which he attempts to refute Christianity on my "to read" list.  Cool  I think some of the "Christian" emperors of the 4th century did more damage to Christianity than he did, but I'm still curious what he had to say.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »

I have the book in which he attempts to refute Christianity on my "to read" list.  Cool 

Interesting. I suppose you mean "Against the Galileans". It wasn't that interesting a read. Julian's Misopogon, on the contrary, was hilarious.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:40:44 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 07:20:52 PM »

and there is more....

MacBain is calling it quits alright:

"AUSTIN, Texas (RNS) A former United Methodist minister-turned-atheist was dismissed from her high-profile position at Harvard University on Thursday after it was revealed she falsified her resume.

Teresa MacBain, one of the most high-profile nonbelievers in the country after profiles by NPR, The New York Times and Religion News Service, was fired from her newly created position with the Humanist Community at Harvard."
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:21:47 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 07:40:23 PM »

and there is more....

MacBain is calling it quits alright:

"AUSTIN, Texas (RNS) A former United Methodist minister-turned-atheist was dismissed from her high-profile position at Harvard University on Thursday after it was revealed she falsified her resume.

Teresa MacBain, one of the most high-profile nonbelievers in the country after profiles by NPR, The New York Times and Religion News Service, was fired from her newly created position with the Humanist Community at Harvard."
I suppose I should feel bad for her, but I really don't.  She has spent her entire life misrepresenting herself to everyone and now it is catching up with her.  Undecided

NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2013, 04:57:11 PM »

Just listened on the radio to an interview with a woman (former Protestant minister) who's doing the same thing in Canada. She is retaining all the social, community-building features of church but throwing Scripture and talk about God in the dustbin. Seems to be the wave of the future.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »

Because it died as soon as Julian died.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »

Tell me that is from a make your own church sign website where you pick the words that go on the picture?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Red A.

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »

I tell you what, athiests could screw up a soup sandwich. If there is no God, SLEEP IN ON SUNDAY!!!!!! police
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2013, 12:12:44 PM »

Tell me that is from a make your own church sign website where you pick the words that go on the picture?
lol, I don't know.  It could just be someone with a poor grasp of grammar.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »

I'm sure it made complete sense in their head.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »

I'm sure it made complete sense in their head.

'We hurt and scare because we care.'

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags: atheism  church  England 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: