OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 27, 2014, 04:05:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shooting in Washington, DC at the Navy Yard  (Read 598 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« on: September 16, 2013, 11:25:34 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/dc-navy-yard-gunshots/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

A deadly shooting took place at the Navy Yard in Washington, DC. It is believed that at least 10 people were injured, several killed, and the latest CNN reports have it that 'two suspects are down.'

(I posted a different thread in the prayer forum, for prayer on the issue. This post is just for discussion of the news itself.)

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:56:36 PM »

A couple articles said that the shooter was a buddhist.  That does not seem like them.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 02:01:12 PM »

13 were killed, including the shooter.  I think whether he identified himself as a Buddhist or not is irrelevant.  A horrible occurrence!  Not sure what else there might be to discuss.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:29:51 PM »

13 were killed, including the shooter.  I think whether he identified himself as a Buddhist or not is irrelevant.  A horrible occurrence!  Not sure what else there might be to discuss.
If he belonged to a Church, the media would probably try to REALLY go after that fact.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »

If he belonged to a Church, the media would probably try to REALLY go after that fact.

But I guess he didn't.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »

A couple articles said that the shooter was a buddhist.  That does not seem like them.

Seems just like them.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »

13 were killed, including the shooter.  I think whether he identified himself as a Buddhist or not is irrelevant.  A horrible occurrence!  Not sure what else there might be to discuss.

Yeah, they just can't let it go that nearly everyone murdered in this country is killed by a Christian. In fact, most people on this planet are.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:17:49 PM by orthonorm » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »

Would say "waiting for this to go to politics" but I would rather not take another trip on the carousel of fact vs regurgitated fiction.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »

Epiphany: It's completely justified in Christianity to kill all that is sanctified by God.- Mainstream Media

Of course, the media wouldn't dare say something so intolerant about Islam.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:28:52 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 04:27:47 PM »

Would say "waiting for this to go to politics" but I would rather not take another trip on the carousel of fact vs regurgitated fiction.

About what? That Buddhists kill people or that Christians do? That is hardly political. It is true.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »

Epiphany: It's completely justified in Christianity to kill all that is sanctified by God.- Mainstream Media

Of course, the media wouldn't dare say something so racist and intolerant about Islam.

It would help if Christians stopped trying to justify it. Ask Vamrat, it's his hobby.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 04:33:16 PM »

Darn it...can't find any popcorn!

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »

Why, you've heard the middle-of-the-road-common-sense-snooze-fests before about killing stuff. Really, how seriously can you take this stuff? I am not sure Vamrat would last long with the girlz I had to counsel against bouncing another girl'z head off concrete yesterday.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 04:40:54 PM »

Of course, the media wouldn't dare say something so intolerant about Islam.

Who are "the media" in your world? Really this leveling of apparent trolling is pretty bad for even here.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »

Why, you've heard the middle-of-the-road-common-sense-snooze-fests before about killing stuff. Really, how seriously can you take this stuff? I am not sure Vamrat would last long with the girlz I had to counsel against bouncing another girl'z head off concrete yesterday.

The longer I'm here, the less seriously I take almost anything.  My "real life", such as it is, has more than enough seriousness in it to satisfy even you, I'm sure.

Guess you'll have to take that other stuff up with Vamrat.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:45:04 PM by J Michael » Logged

Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »

Here's some: 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:53:37 PM by Gamliel » Logged
Didyma
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

I am not nice!

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 07:17:10 PM »

There have been plenty of incidents of Buddhist violence throughout history.  Just check out Buddhist Warfare

Anyway, it's horrible that there's been so many shootings in recent years.

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 07:38:53 PM »

What's the difference between this shooting and the ones that happen every other day--apart from numbers and actual coverage?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »

There have been plenty of incidents of Buddhist violence throughout history.  Just check out Buddhist Warfare

Anyway, it's horrible that there's been so many shootings in recent years.

There have been a lot of shootings in since there were guns. Finally, the problem is spreading in this country where white people with power can't protect themselves. Maybe after a 1,000,000 more times, white people will realize something should change, white people are slower as we know, so let's have patience. I have similar hopes about illnesses that makes people realize public health is public health.

Till then, white guys can keep playing with their guns and their fantasies about being the last man standing, or given the general shape of such men, sitting I suppose.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 07:41:35 PM »

What's the difference between this shooting and the ones that happen every other day--apart from numbers and actual coverage?

Deviation from the typical story line. And white people are . . . see post above.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 07:48:24 PM »

Deviation from the typical story line. And white people are . . . see post above.

Not sure what exactly race has to do with anything other than your perceptions.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 07:54:47 PM »

Like whoah dude, that is so heavy. Perceptions . . .
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:54:57 PM by orthonorm » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 09:25:38 AM »

Depends on if I could have counseled with the FAL.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »

Like whoah dude, that is so heavy. Perceptions . . .

Heavy?  Probably not so much.  Accurate?  Yeah, quite probably.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 01:33:14 PM »

So 12 people get shot up and it's a tragedy.

There's a death every 13 minutes because of a car accident, but nobody seems to want to talk about the cars, speed limits, road/car safety, etc. nor shed any tears.

God only knows why shotguns and AR-15's are even legal to purchase in this country, for what purpose? To wart off a zombie apocalypse? Prevent the NSA that is going to take you away in a white van in the middle of the night?

The only people that need guns are people involved in the narcotics and police, it's still a war out there.

Keep gentrifying cities and pushing the middle class to the poor class. Add access to buy 1000s of rounds of ammo with guns and you are going to see more people getting killed.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: crime  washington dc 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: