OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 04:02:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Holy Communion  (Read 701 times) Average Rating: 0
andrewlya
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and is still learning

« on: September 15, 2013, 04:55:39 AM »

Good morning all,I have spoken to someone about an Orthodox Communion and the person, who is a Catholic, asked me why we dont eat anything or drink after the midnight. The person's point was that Jesus and Disciples had dinner first at the Last Supper,so they ate ,drank etc and after that Jesus introduced the Eucharist Holy Communion. So, if Jesus and His Disciples ate before taking the Communion, then why do we have to take it on the empty stomach?

Please, could you back up your statements from verses in the Scripture,thanks a lot.

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 06:50:59 AM »

Good morning all,I have spoken to someone about an Orthodox Communion and the person, who is a Catholic, asked me why we dont eat anything or drink after the midnight. The person's point was that Jesus and Disciples had dinner first at the Last Supper,so they ate ,drank etc and after that Jesus introduced the Eucharist Holy Communion. So, if Jesus and His Disciples ate before taking the Communion, then why do we have to take it on the empty stomach?

Please, could you back up your statements from verses in the Scripture,thanks a lot.

Your Catholic friend might be surprised to learn that his or her own church had the same rule until about 50 years ago.   Since Vatican II they need only fast for an hour before communing but they still must fast. 

I'll leave the justification for others but I am reminded of the words of our Lord to the effect that when the bridegroom is present, his disciples do not fast; but when he is gone away they will certainly fast. 
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 07:38:47 AM »

With fear and trembling approach the Chalice. Preparation is important, which includes, prayers, confession, fasting, and the abstinence from food from Midnight. For most, that means nothing is consumed until after receiving the Eucharist. Generally, fasting and prayer is addressed in the New Testament, and can be easily found. There are pre Communion prayers and post communion prayers for the repentant receiving Communion listed in most Orthodox prayer books. As far as the Midnight requirement that you address, I would hesitate to support a specific time requirement with Scripture, and do not understand the need to support a time requirement from Scripture.

"Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep” (1 Corinthians 11:27-30).

“I give counsel to everyone among you, whether man or woman, whether great or small, to anyone of you that may be guilty of sin, convicted by your own counsels, that first you must repent and confess your sins, that you may dare, considering yourself unworthy, to approach and touch the Divine Fire Itself. For our God is a consuming Fire, and they, therefore, who with faith and fear draw near to the God and King and Judge of us all, shall burn and scorch their sins; and It shall enlighten and sanctify their souls. But It shall burn and scorch with shame, the souls and bodies of them that draw near with unbelief. Therefore, many among you are ill and sleep in sickness, that is, many are dying unconfessed and unrepentant” (Homily on Holy Thursday).

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
andrewlya
Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 08:48:50 AM »

I dont specifically want to know whether there was a specific time of Eucharist fast,what I want to know is where does it say in Scripture that we have to fast at all before taking the Holy Communion as Jesus with His Disciples had dinner 1st and then after their feast the Holy Communion was introduced, which points out that you can eat or drink before the Communion like a few Churches do...

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Greece

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 08:53:29 AM »

The subject is that we must be prepared better. Food lead you easier into sins. So it is a way to be more clean when you receive communion.

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »

I dont specifically want to know whether there was a specific time of Eucharist fast,what I want to know is where does it say in Scripture that we have to fast at all before taking the Holy Communion as Jesus with His Disciples had dinner 1st and then after their feast the Holy Communion was introduced, which points out that you can eat or drink before the Communion like a few Churches do...

Not everything is found in the Bible. Communion is presented as typology in the Scriptures. While it is established in the Gospels, it is not talked about until Apostolic writings.

There was no need for the Disciples to fast because they were with the Lord, we fast because we are separated from the Lord.

Joseph
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »

My parents brought me up to believe that we also have to sleep before we receive Holy Communion/Eucharist. Though this is what we all do since our services are in the mornings. However, when we attend midnight Easter services for the Resurrection, we have to be in church by 11 pm the latest, while we receive Holy Communion around 2 am, I have yet to take a nap before Easter services, even though my father does and insist we should. Anyone know of this? That we must nap/sleep before receiving Holy Communion?
And we never eat nor drink anything before receiving.  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:01:13 PM by Faith2545 » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 06:24:56 PM »

There's no rule about sleeping before receiving Communion.  That's probably a practical/safety issue for some. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 06:41:22 PM »

It's like Yurysprudentsiya said.

14 Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not?

15 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.

"When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 07:03:07 PM »

There's no rule about sleeping before receiving Communion.  That's probably a practical/safety issue for some. 

I thought so.
By the way, just curious, who is that person in your photo?

<----
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 09:09:15 PM »

I know there is no sleep requirement for receiving Communion.  I work a graveyard shift and have often gone to liturgy after I get off work at 7am (especially on feast days). 
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »

I thought so.

<----

That, dear friend, is Thulsa Doom.  He knows the Riddle of Steel.  Conan slayed him.  It is unclear whether Crom helped him.   

In real life, you may know him as James Earl Jones, the voice of the King James Bible

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »

I know there is no sleep requirement for receiving Communion.  I work a graveyard shift and have often gone to liturgy after I get off work at 7am (especially on feast days). 

Now that is asceticism. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 10:01:07 PM »

It doesn't say it explicitly in Scripture, but if you look at St. Paul's writings (I think to the Corinthians), where he describes the disorder of their love feasts (agape meals), which were at the time indistinguishable from the  moment of the eucharist itself, you will find an impetus. A lot has changed since the first century.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 12:45:51 AM »

Whether there is a scriptural directive for a pre-Eucharistic fast or not, it is the prerogative of the bishops to establish canonical norms (the authority to "bind and loose" was passed down to the bishops from to the Apostles) for the church, and our preparation for the Eucharist falls under that. It has been the wisdom of the Church for a very long time that we are better prepared for the reception of the Eucharist if we fast for a little while first, so long as fasting is an option (it is not an option for some: those who are sick, elderly, very young, pregnant, nursing, etc).
andrewlya
Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 08:23:49 AM »

Yes,thank you.So,the Eucharistic fast originated from the practice of early Bishops,right?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 09:42:47 AM »

I thought so.

<----

That, dear friend, is Thulsa Doom.  He knows the Riddle of Steel.  Conan slayed him.  It is unclear whether Crom helped him.   

In real life, you may know him as James Earl Jones, the voice of the King James Bible
It would be outstanding if he was Orthodox.  And a priest or deacon, singing the Liturgy in his booming voice.  Yeah, chills down the spine right now.

Tags: Eucharistic fast 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: