OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 12:12:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we kill the small talk at work?  (Read 2504 times) Average Rating: 0
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »

Why don't you go live somewhere where small talk is not permitted?  Like here:

That is also a place where humility is appreciated. Double whammy!
Sounds like I have found my true calling!:D

Beware!  Once there you won't be able to make small (or big) talk about yourself on internet forums  Sad Sad.

What?  No free wi-fi and Starbucks?  What kind of hermitage is that?

I know...outrageous, isn't it?  How would he ever survive?

Fasting and prayer?  Bah humbug!

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »

Why don't you go live somewhere where small talk is not permitted?  Like here:

That is also a place where humility is appreciated. Double whammy!
Sounds like I have found my true calling!:D

Beware!  Once there you won't be able to make small (or big) talk about yourself on internet forums  Sad Sad.

What?  No free wi-fi and Starbucks?  What kind of hermitage is that?

I know...outrageous, isn't it?  How would he ever survive?

Fasting and prayer?  Bah humbug!

You forgot alms giving. Double bah humbug!!  (Well, I guess he could always take er, humbly receive alms given to him.  Back to plain ol' bah humbug! Angry)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:52:20 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/

A new opportunity for a new life...

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2013, 03:06:06 PM »

I took French for four years in high school and you have no idea how close I was when I graduated that I would head to Marseille and join.  Oh well...

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »

I took French for four years in high school and you have no idea how close I was when I graduated that I would head to Marseille and join.  Oh well...

I've strongly considered it.  You don't even need to know French to join!  I heard you pick it up quickly when the alternatives are beatings.  Lol.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »

Oh well, indeed.... Wink

The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,   
And sorry I could not travel both   
And be one traveler, long I stood   
And looked down one as far as I could   
To where it bent in the undergrowth;           5

Then took the other, as just as fair,   
And having perhaps the better claim,   
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;   
Though as for that the passing there   
Had worn them really about the same,           10

And both that morning equally lay   
In leaves no step had trodden black.   
Oh, I kept the first for another day!   
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,   
I doubted if I should ever come back.           15

I shall be telling this with a sigh   
Somewhere ages and ages hence:   
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—   
I took the one less traveled by,   
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »

I looked into the FFL once, but then my battery in my laptop died and that was the end of that.  Grin

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »

I've strongly considered it.  You don't even need to know French to join!  I heard you pick it up quickly when the alternatives are beatings.  Lol.

But, do they allow small talk?  That's the important thing, you know--whether or not they allow small talk.  In any language.  I guess if they did, then with all that military training he'd receive, Achronos could really do a good job killing it, eh?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2013, 05:32:01 PM »

Or death....

"ALLEZ, ALLEZ!  SUR LE COIN!  TIREZ!!"
"Huh?  What did you s-"
*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*
[Silence predominates as the camera pans out, showing smoke curling up.  Legionnaire Hecma is struggling, blood pouring from his ears and nose.  He struggles to reach his Corporal,but realizes he's dead.  Hecma looks down.  He has no legs.  Camera zooms to his left eye.  A single, blood-tinged tear drops.  He coughs.  He slumps to the ground.  Zoom to his chest, showing the bleeding shrapnel wounds through his fatigue blouse.  Rapid breaths.  Zoom to lips, cracked, burnt.  Gasps.  Then silence.  One last inhale.]
[Barely audible] "Lord, have mercy."
[Camera zooms out from above, showing rebel forces moving in on the two dead Legionnaires.  Fade to black.]
END SCENE

Moral of the story, kids:  Learn a foreign language. Wink

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2013, 08:27:50 AM »

Will a band-aid help this situation?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »

Will a band-aid help this situation?

This one might:

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »

Hope you all are having  splendid morning. I feel wonderful.  I have my glass of diet Sunkist with me, and what else do you need?  It's supposed to be in the 70s all week here. Glory glory hell a lew yah! Anyway, I need to get back to whatever it is I was pretending to do before I came into this thread. Ta ta!

Large Marge sent me...
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:35 AM »

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2013, 04:44:31 PM »

So anyway...

Finally broke the small talk with my co-worker and it was nice to have a conversation with her, although she says I'm so weird because I won't reveal certain private things in my life.

orthonorm you'll love this, she calls me an onion. "You're like an onion, I just have to peel back all these layers."

We are having an "office party" and one of the girls said she had a lot of bachlorette party items to bring in and my boss said "well as long as you aren't bringing in penis lolipops, we're good" and someone actually got offended and he got in trouble for it.

And it's things like that which make me not to want to engage in any conversation at work, because I might drop in a vulgarity and get into trouble.

The girl I liked at work and this other dude got into a big fight in a conference room to try to settle their differences last week.

I mean these jobs are so meaningless, boring, redundant, etc. that how can you not start up a little bit of drama?

People love to step over each other to get themselves ahead anyway they can.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »

So anyway...

Finally broke the small talk with my co-worker and it was nice to have a conversation with her, although she says I'm so weird because I won't reveal certain private things in my life.

orthonorm you'll love this, she calls me an onion. "You're like an onion, I just have to peel back all these layers."

We are having an "office party" and one of the girls said she had a lot of bachlorette party items to bring in and my boss said "well as long as you aren't bringing in penis lolipops, we're good" and someone actually got offended and he got in trouble for it.

And it's things like that which make me not to want to engage in any conversation at work, because I might drop in a vulgarity and get into trouble.

The girl I liked at work and this other dude got into a big fight in a conference room to try to settle their differences last week.

I mean these jobs are so meaningless, boring, redundant, etc. that how can you not start up a little bit of drama?

People love to step over each other to get themselves ahead anyway they can.

Sounds like someone has been watching the movie Shrek

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2013, 07:44:08 PM »

Sounds like someone has been watching the movie Shrek
I knew that sounded oddly familiar.

Thanks.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »

Tell her that you are more of a pomegranate than an onion.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »

Tell her that you are more of a pomegranate than an onion.
LOL!!!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: