OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 10:22:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we kill the small talk at work?  (Read 2193 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

Like please.

No you don't care how my weekend was so stop asking me. But you only ask so I can ask you how yours was which will give you the opportunity to impress and make everyone envious over how great your weekend was.

This is no one in particular.

Most people think I am extremely rude and arrogant because I don't say "Hello" or "Good Morning" to anyone in the office when they look at me.

What you are owed a Hello?

Ya I see you sitting in the chair, what do you want me to say?

I like to clock in, get my work done and get out of there.

LOL and people from work wanna grab drinks after work...to talk and do what exactly?

How you planted a new garden in your background? Yeah I really care. How you got a brand new car? Yeah I really care. Etc. etc.

I'm down for a real conversation and discussion, but nobody has anything interesting to talk about it seems...

I guess that's why we have message boards.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 03:39:04 AM »

Remind me to never hire you.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 03:58:35 AM »

I dont like talking at work either

although i think for different reasons than you

Yes, it reminds me of something from star trek (in light of the "other topics" star trek thread ;p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kFF2nt97zg

although, sadly the video does not include when data talks to him...

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 04:12:28 AM »

You should move to Finland. Most of the Finns are unable to have a small talk. Actually we don't generally speak anything to each other. That's why we invented mobile phones and internet. No need to actually meet people anymore.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 05:22:19 AM »

Small talk is essential over here. Danes are horrible at communicating, especially with people you don't know well. Small talk can be a great way to open up to other people and then pave the way for more serious conversation.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 05:55:07 AM »

Top o the morning to you, Achronos Smiley  I put off my homework this weekend, what a bummer! How are you?

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 07:54:41 AM »

Move to the UK. The weather alone affords endless conversation material.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 10:19:58 AM »

Most people aren't game for jumping into conversation without small talk first.

Of course, one's definition of conversation varies with mileage.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »

Okay... I'm having a weird day or two also...

I think I'm going to hide in the corner with a staple gun now, in case.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 12:59:20 PM »

Remind me to never hire you.
Why?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 01:01:13 PM »

That's why we invented mobile phones and internet. No need to actually meet people anymore.
Exactly!

Plus those friends who hangout are on their phones? Yes?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 02:21:31 PM »

Achronos, based on the OP, I could really learn to like you. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »

you have a problem saying hello to the people you work with?

Peace.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 02:28:02 PM »

My boss says I'm too humble ...and he doesn't consider it to be a virtue either. Shocked

I know I come off as an arrogant butthat around here, but I dimish my ego as much as possible in the workplace.

Most people think I am extremely rude and arrogant because I don't say "Hello" or "Good Morning" to anyone in the office when they look at me.

Sounds like a great situation, keep up the good work!

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 04:13:18 PM »

In a field where many are qualified to do the work, the most important discriminator is how the person fits into the team I'm trying to build. How does the candidate relate to those with whom he will be working? If all you want to do is come to work, work your eight hours, not talk with those around you, and go home at the end of the day, then I have no place for you. If you want to work for me, you have to fit the team I'm trying to build. For you to fit the team I'm trying to build, the rest of the team has to like you.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »

My boss says I'm too humble ...and he doesn't consider it to be a virtue either. Shocked

I know I come off as an arrogant butthat around here, but I dimish my ego as much as possible in the workplace.

Yeah but you can't call me arrogant if I don't say hello so they are wrong

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 04:29:50 PM »

A reading from the Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy:

'One of the things Ford Prefect found hard to understand about human beings 'was their habit of continually stating and re-stating the very, very obvious, as in:"Nice morning" 'First, Ford formed a theory to account for this strange behaviour.
 'lf human beings don't exercise their lips, he thought, 'their mouths probably seize up.
 'After a while, he abandoned this theory in favour of a new one.
 'lf they don't exercise their lips, he thought, 'their brains start working.
 'In fact, this second theory is more literally true of the Belcerebon People 'of Kakrafoon Kappa.
 'The Belcerebons used to cause great resentment amongst neighbouring races 'by being one of the most enlightened, accomplished 'and, above all, quiet civilisations in the Galaxy.
 'As a punishment for this behaviour, 'which was held to be offensively self-righteous and provocative, 'a Galactic tribunal inflicted on them that most cruel of all social diseases: 'telepathy.
 'Now, in order to prevent themselves broadcasting every slightest thought 'to anyone within a five-mile radius, 'they have to talk loudly and continuously about the weather, 'their little aches and pains, the match this afternoon 'and what a noisy place Kakrafoon has suddenly become..."
http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy&episode=s01e06

Proverbs 22:7
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »

Yeah but you can't call me arrogant if I don't say hello so they are wrong

Sure I can, and so can they, and they'd be right. That you don't see this is part of your arrogance.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 06:51:01 PM »

In a field where many are qualified to do the work, the most important discriminator is how the person fits into the team I'm trying to build. How does the candidate relate to those with whom he will be working? If all you want to do is come to work, work your eight hours, not talk with those around you, and go home at the end of the day, then I have no place for you. If you want to work for me, you have to fit the team I'm trying to build. For you to fit the team I'm trying to build, the rest of the team has to like you.
Lol and the funniest part about the above is exactly what I told my boss when doing interviews and hiring.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 06:57:56 PM »

Lol and the funniest part about the above is exactly what I told my boss when doing interviews and hiring.
Huh That statement makes absolutely no sense. What are you trying to say?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 07:37:30 PM »

Huh That statement makes absolutely no sense. What are you trying to say?
No we had this group discussion over hiring new people and someone in that meeting said "Well you should see if they ask the right questions and if they have the technical skill"

But I interjected and said well its more than that, you have to see if they are a good fit with the team, etc.

All I'm saying is I would love to do away with the small talk. It's completely and utterly unnecessary.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »

Small talk, I love. However, if you ask my how my day was, then, you better want to hear my answer past "good"

SCREW BON JOVI!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 08:34:37 AM »

Small talk, I love. However, if you ask my how my day was, then, you better want to hear my answer past "good"
So, how is your day going, Math?  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 09:07:50 AM »

Achronos, you miss the point of office small talk.  Nobody really cares about you, nor you about them, however, it's a good way to build camaraderie.  In this way the team will always be more successful.

For example, George sits in the corner and doesn't talk to anyone, ever.  Judy has been assigned to work on a project with George.  How should she handle this situation?  She needs his input and advice, etc.

Had there been small talk previous to this occasion, Judy would know that George is an avid fisherman, gardener, painter, builder, etc.  She could hone in on these unique talents of his to help with the project.  Additionally, she would be able to converse with him, in those inevitable moments when you arrive to meetings, and sit around waiting for others to show up, etc.  Plus, she would know not to speak up against a, b, or c and cause strife between the two of them.

The only time office small talk is a bummer, is when you have work to get done, and the other person just drones on and on and on.  I often find that my cube turns in to Grand Central Station.  Since I am sitting at my desk, I am stuck, because the person is actually blocking my way "out".  Thankfully, I am at my desk, and if the boss comes around, the other person is visiting me, and not the other way around.

We have a few people who will easily talk for 45 minutes to an hour....even if I turn my back on them to answer emails, etc.  It's just amazing.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 09:10:54 AM »

I find that getting a headset for your phone and wearing it all day long works wonders. Everyone thinks I'm on the phone all day long and no one talks to me. Plus, you look ubercool wearing a headset around.

Like this:  (Note, hot girl not included)

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 09:15:13 AM »

Yes, I've got a Bluetooth headset, that sticks out of one ear.  I do that sometimes.

However, here, folks don't really care.  They will look at you and ask if you are on "mute"....and if you admit to being muted, even during an actual meeting, they will start talking. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:35 AM »

Yes, I've got a Bluetooth headset, that sticks out of one ear.  I do that sometimes.

However, here, folks don't really care.  They will look at you and ask if you are on "mute"....and if you admit to being muted, even during an actual meeting, they will start talking. 
That is why I just make hand gestures and start talking loudly to "someone on the phone".  Come on, Liza!  You have to get creative!  Grin

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 09:21:43 AM »

LOL!

Problem is that if there's really nobody on the phone, and they glance at the phone...they will easily be able to discern that fact.  There's a little window that displays the lines being used, and the phone numbers, not to mention the little red lights that come on.

—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »

LOL!

Problem is that if there's really nobody on the phone, and they glance at the phone...they will easily be able to discern that fact.  There's a little window that displays the lines being used, and the phone numbers, not to mention the little red lights that come on.

Oh, thats a blinger.  My phone doesn't have that, so my only risk to faking a phone call is if a call actually does come in and the phone rings while I am having my "conversation".  That can get awkward...

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 09:28:06 AM »

That is why I just make hand gestures and start talking loudly to "someone on the phone".  Come on, Liza!  You have to get creative!  Grin

I put this to my ear and shout "I'M ON THE PHONE GEEEZ"  It does the trick.  I don't need to pay for an expensive headset.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »

Hey Archonos!

I had a great weekend. I helped a friend's mom movie, worked on my thesis, went to lunch with my parents, and even had the opportunity to enjoy three margaritas with a friend.

How was yours?  Grin

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:28 PM »

Like please.

No you don't care how my weekend was so stop asking me. But you only ask so I can ask you how yours was which will give you the opportunity to impress and make everyone envious over how great your weekend was.

This is no one in particular.

What you are owed a Hello?

Ya I see you sitting in the chair, what do you want me to say?

I like to clock in, get my work done and get out of there.

LOL and people from work wanna grab drinks after work...to talk and do what exactly?

How you planted a new garden in your background? Yeah I really care. How you got a brand new car? Yeah I really care. Etc. etc.

I'm down for a real conversation and discussion, but nobody has anything interesting to talk about it seems...

I guess that's why we have message boards.

Weren't you the one complaining a week or so ago that your boss thought you humble?  You're right...clearly undeserved.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »

My day was so an so. I woke up at 07h30, went back to sleep until 08h30, and then tried to sleep again and ended waking up at about 09h15ish, when I was planning on getting up at 09h30 so I could get ready for work at 11h00 and school after. I honestly believe that my supervisor thinks that I am an idiot that knows nothing about what I am doing, even though I've been there longer than what she has at the company. Things also keep on changing, which confused me and further makes me look like an idiot in front of her, and she treats me as so for trying to adhere to the old policy, even though it isn't in effect anymore.

That being said, class was amazing as normal. My "Teaching Shakespeare" class is my absolute favourite that I am taking this fall. It is hilarious, not to mention we did amusing things such as have two man skits, and the only instructions we were given is that we ran into each other. In mine, I pick-pocketed the girl I was doing it with, fun times. The dramatic reading that I did of Egeus' speech in 1.1 of A Midsummer Night's Dream was also highly entertaining, and filled with hate.

I then returned to my apartment, and cooking an amazing four cheese pasta with chicken, which I cloned after the one made at The Cheesecake Factory. Then I made chocolate chip cookies, which I gave to my roommates and they enjoyed.

How was your day?

SCREW BON JOVI!
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »

My day was so an so. I woke up at 07h30, went back to sleep until 08h30, and then tried to sleep again and ended waking up at about 09h15ish, when I was planning on getting up at 09h30 so I could get ready for work at 11h00 and school after. I honestly believe that my supervisor thinks that I am an idiot that knows nothing about what I am doing, even though I've been there longer than what she has at the company. Things also keep on changing, which confused me and further makes me look like an idiot in front of her, and she treats me as so for trying to adhere to the old policy, even though it isn't in effect anymore.

That being said, class was amazing as normal. My "Teaching Shakespeare" class is my absolute favourite that I am taking this fall. It is hilarious, not to mention we did amusing things such as have two man skits, and the only instructions we were given is that we ran into each other. In mine, I pick-pocketed the girl I was doing it with, fun times. The dramatic reading that I did of Egeus' speech in 1.1 of A Midsummer Night's Dream was also highly entertaining, and filled with hate.

I then returned to my apartment, and cooking an amazing four cheese pasta with chicken, which I cloned after the one made at The Cheesecake Factory. Then I made chocolate chip cookies, which I gave to my roommates and they enjoyed.

How was your day?
Good.  Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 11:19:52 PM »

I find chit chat to be engrossing as long as it isn't chit chatty, you know what I mean when I say that like I just said that I said it?

I found the Steelers just lose the game and am let down but what can be done not much.

I will probably go to sleep early tonight like maybe 1am or so and then maybe get a full night's sleep for once.

I may switch from the game now that it's almost certainly over as on Animal Planet I have been half-watching this show about this girl that has worms in her lungs I find that disgusting but still intriguing like a car crash but with worms.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 11:39:09 PM »

First girl with worms probably ate salad on which human feces had been used as fertilizer and hadn't washed it well enough. Well there you go. Second girl is having headaches... more to come...  stay tuned... same worm time... same worm thread...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 11:46:30 PM »

Second girl died from rabies Sad

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 07:47:41 AM »

That sounds even worse than the Pittsburgh offense.  Sad

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 08:59:09 AM »

Why don't you go live somewhere where small talk is not permitted?  Like here:

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 09:05:38 AM »

That is also a place where humility is appreciated. Double whammy!

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »

Perfect!!!!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2013, 01:46:40 PM »

Sounds like I have found my true calling!:D

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »

Beware!  Once there you won't be able to make small (or big) talk about yourself on internet forums  Sad Sad.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 02:23:28 PM »

Beware!  Once there you won't be able to make small (or big) talk about yourself on internet forums  Sad Sad.

What?  No free wi-fi and Starbucks?  What kind of hermitage is that?

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 02:26:46 PM »

I know...outrageous, isn't it?  How would he ever survive?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »

I know...outrageous, isn't it?  How would he ever survive?

Fasting and prayer?  Bah humbug!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »

Why don't you go live somewhere where small talk is not permitted?  Like here:

Beware!  Once there you won't be able to make small (or big) talk about yourself on internet forums  Sad Sad.

What?  No free wi-fi and Starbucks?  What kind of hermitage is that?

I know...outrageous, isn't it?  How would he ever survive?

Fasting and prayer?  Bah humbug!

You forgot alms giving. Double bah humbug!!  (Well, I guess he could always take er, humbly receive alms given to him.  Back to plain ol' bah humbug! Angry)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:52:20 PM by J Michael » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/

A new opportunity for a new life...
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2013, 03:06:06 PM »

I took French for four years in high school and you have no idea how close I was when I graduated that I would head to Marseille and join.  Oh well...

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »

I took French for four years in high school and you have no idea how close I was when I graduated that I would head to Marseille and join.  Oh well...

I've strongly considered it.  You don't even need to know French to join!  I heard you pick it up quickly when the alternatives are beatings.  Lol.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »

Oh well, indeed.... Wink

The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,   
And sorry I could not travel both   
And be one traveler, long I stood   
And looked down one as far as I could   
To where it bent in the undergrowth;           5

Then took the other, as just as fair,   
And having perhaps the better claim,   
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;   
Though as for that the passing there   
Had worn them really about the same,           10

And both that morning equally lay   
In leaves no step had trodden black.   
Oh, I kept the first for another day!   
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,   
I doubted if I should ever come back.           15

I shall be telling this with a sigh   
Somewhere ages and ages hence:   
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—   
I took the one less traveled by,   
And that has made all the difference.

http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »

I looked into the FFL once, but then my battery in my laptop died and that was the end of that.  Grin

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »

I've strongly considered it.  You don't even need to know French to join!  I heard you pick it up quickly when the alternatives are beatings.  Lol.

But, do they allow small talk?  That's the important thing, you know--whether or not they allow small talk.  In any language.  I guess if they did, then with all that military training he'd receive, Achronos could really do a good job killing it, eh?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2013, 05:32:01 PM »

Or death....

"ALLEZ, ALLEZ!  SUR LE COIN!  TIREZ!!"
"Huh?  What did you s-"
*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*
[Silence predominates as the camera pans out, showing smoke curling up.  Legionnaire Hecma is struggling, blood pouring from his ears and nose.  He struggles to reach his Corporal,but realizes he's dead.  Hecma looks down.  He has no legs.  Camera zooms to his left eye.  A single, blood-tinged tear drops.  He coughs.  He slumps to the ground.  Zoom to his chest, showing the bleeding shrapnel wounds through his fatigue blouse.  Rapid breaths.  Zoom to lips, cracked, burnt.  Gasps.  Then silence.  One last inhale.]
[Barely audible] "Lord, have mercy."
[Camera zooms out from above, showing rebel forces moving in on the two dead Legionnaires.  Fade to black.]
END SCENE

Moral of the story, kids:  Learn a foreign language. Wink

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2013, 08:27:50 AM »

Will a band-aid help this situation?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »

Will a band-aid help this situation?

This one might:

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »

Hope you all are having  splendid morning. I feel wonderful.  I have my glass of diet Sunkist with me, and what else do you need?  It's supposed to be in the 70s all week here. Glory glory hell a lew yah! Anyway, I need to get back to whatever it is I was pretending to do before I came into this thread. Ta ta!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:35 AM »

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2013, 04:44:31 PM »

So anyway...

Finally broke the small talk with my co-worker and it was nice to have a conversation with her, although she says I'm so weird because I won't reveal certain private things in my life.

orthonorm you'll love this, she calls me an onion. "You're like an onion, I just have to peel back all these layers."

We are having an "office party" and one of the girls said she had a lot of bachlorette party items to bring in and my boss said "well as long as you aren't bringing in penis lolipops, we're good" and someone actually got offended and he got in trouble for it.

And it's things like that which make me not to want to engage in any conversation at work, because I might drop in a vulgarity and get into trouble.

The girl I liked at work and this other dude got into a big fight in a conference room to try to settle their differences last week.

I mean these jobs are so meaningless, boring, redundant, etc. that how can you not start up a little bit of drama?

People love to step over each other to get themselves ahead anyway they can.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »

So anyway...

Finally broke the small talk with my co-worker and it was nice to have a conversation with her, although she says I'm so weird because I won't reveal certain private things in my life.

orthonorm you'll love this, she calls me an onion. "You're like an onion, I just have to peel back all these layers."

We are having an "office party" and one of the girls said she had a lot of bachlorette party items to bring in and my boss said "well as long as you aren't bringing in penis lolipops, we're good" and someone actually got offended and he got in trouble for it.

And it's things like that which make me not to want to engage in any conversation at work, because I might drop in a vulgarity and get into trouble.

The girl I liked at work and this other dude got into a big fight in a conference room to try to settle their differences last week.

I mean these jobs are so meaningless, boring, redundant, etc. that how can you not start up a little bit of drama?

People love to step over each other to get themselves ahead anyway they can.

Sounds like someone has been watching the movie Shrek

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2013, 07:44:08 PM »

Sounds like someone has been watching the movie Shrek
I knew that sounded oddly familiar.

Thanks.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »

Tell her that you are more of a pomegranate than an onion.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »

Tell her that you are more of a pomegranate than an onion.
LOL!!!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: