OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:29:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Is Your Homepage?  (Read 1080 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: September 15, 2013, 01:06:55 AM »

So iGoogle is shutting down in November, so I will soon be looking for a new homepage. I've used it for years, and haven't even really thought about what people might use these days, tbh. What do you use as your homepage?

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 07:04:53 PM »

Yahoo.  I don't recommend it.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »

Undecided

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »

Why not change it?

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 09:20:23 AM »

Why not change it?
Laziness. 

It requires me to do what Asteriktos is doing and start thinking about what I would change it to, then if I do make a decision, I might second guess myself. If I finally make it through all that, then I actually have to go find the place in the options where I set a new home page and do it.  I'm stressed out just thinking about it.  Embarrassed

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 09:34:26 AM »

Do like I do.  My homepage is www.greektemptresses.ustvbiz.  It helps get my online temptations out of the way.  It shows Greek women in Church wearing non-modest clothing.  There's also www.russiantemptresses.ustv.ru.biz.  Same thing, higher heels.  May be some spam, so watch out.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 09:39:39 AM »

My habitual homepage is my other haunt, which I can't link to here (sorry, entirely forum inappropriate). Although around mid-October, and for the whole of November, I switch to http://www.goodsearch.com/. NaNoWriMo is among the causes it supports, and since I can't currently support them otherwise, except by promotion, I make my searches count while the event goes on.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:41:03 AM »

My habitual homepage is my other haunt, which I can't link to here (sorry, entirely forum inappropriate). Although around mid-October, and for the whole of November, I switch to http://www.goodsearch.com/. NaNoWriMo is among the causes it supports, and since I can't currently support them otherwise, except by promotion, I make my searches count while the event goes on.
Now my imagination is running wild...

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »

Concerning NaNoWriMo or t'other place? Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »

This

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »

I still use my dog's blog as my homepage for now. It's from Blogspot, by Google. I have a couple others that I run on a casual basis.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »

This

That's a classic case of imagination making mountains out of molehills. Tongue

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »

This

SURE, that's what you say NOW  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »

This

In his defence, where is his imagination supposed to go when the homepage is described as entirely inappropriate for this forum?  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 11:56:15 AM »

This

SURE, that's what you say NOW  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Don't remember saying, at any point, why it was inappropriate... Tongue

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 12:10:16 PM »

Thank you, Mor.  As with all men, our minds wander in a singular direction.  Forgive me...  Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »

Are we talking about pogs?  Huh

TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 12:13:03 PM »

ACK!  Asteriktos, you have caused me to lust over that fine collection!  I was doing so well too...

There is a reason it is inappropriate for the forum!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:13:26 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »

I wish I could find my collection.  All in a sweet Trapper Keeper. I had some awesome slammers too.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 08:06:24 PM »

A domain is $7.50 a year, and you can get personal hosting for $1.99 a year.   Usually this will include several email addresses too.

Then you can have a great homepage with personal photos/downloads for people.  You can even password protect.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 08:11:13 PM »

A domain is $7.50 a year, and you can get personal hosting for $1.99 a year.   Usually this will include several email addresses too.

Then you can have a great homepage with personal photos/downloads for people.  You can even password protect.

Sad  This is what my homepage looks like right now:

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 08:18:12 PM »

I wish I could find my collection.  All in a sweet Trapper Keeper. I had some awesome slammers too.

You've peaked. Nothing else you will ever say will be as cool as this.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 08:44:28 PM »

You can also set your browser to open with several (Chrome anyway), that way your really confused.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 08:50:43 PM »

My homepage is https://www.google.com/

I used to have yahoo, but I got to the point where I was seeing stuff that would flip me out as soon as I turned on my computer.  That google search page is a lot of white space, making it idea for me.  Not sure what igoogle is, exactly, but hopefully my homepage isn't going anywhere.  My homepage is that wonderful site that Asterikos has posted a screencap of, above. 

And Arachne, what kinds of stuff do you write?  Do you post on any writers' forums?  I post on Writers' Beat, Writing Forums, Legend Fire, and Verla Kay, although it's been hit-or-miss lately.  I write mostly MG, but my current WIP is adult suspense.  What genre do you write in?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:52:04 PM by newtoorthodoxy » Logged

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »

You could always use this.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »

But then I wouldn't be able to view the

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 11:31:24 PM »

But then I wouldn't be able to view the

View the what? 

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 03:42:40 AM »

And Arachne, what kinds of stuff do you write?  Do you post on any writers' forums?  I post on Writers' Beat, Writing Forums, Legend Fire, and Verla Kay, although it's been hit-or-miss lately.  I write mostly MG, but my current WIP is adult suspense.  What genre do you write in?

The place I was referencing is a collaborative writing forum (most stories have at least two co-writers, although there is plenty of room for solo pieces as well) with no upper limit in content - we range from PG to NC-17 and everything in between. I tend to write a lot of RPG-based fiction, as well as classic or urban fantasy and (alt-)history. Usually I take someone else's idea, historical or literary, and run with it until it's barely recognisable. Also, if there's not a good degree of suspension of disbelief involved, I'm not interested. Wink

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 05:16:07 AM »

The place I was referencing is a collaborative writing forum (most stories have at least two co-writers, although there is plenty of room for solo pieces as well) with no upper limit in content - we range from PG to NC-17 and everything in between. I tend to write a lot of RPG-based fiction, as well as classic or urban fantasy and (alt-)history. Usually I take someone else's idea, historical or literary, and run with it until it's barely recognisable. Also, if there's not a good degree of suspension of disbelief involved, I'm not interested. Wink

Nice!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »

You've peaked. Nothing else you will ever say will be as cool as this.

Funny thing is....it's true!  Nothing has come close.   Grin

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »

There are ways to use multiple homepages. This is how it works for Firefox: http://lifehacker.com/104939/how-to-set-up-multiple-homepages-in-firefox

It would also work if say you wanted several account pages to open at once so you don't have to manually go to them. Problem seems to be that when you add a new tab and click on home they all open; you don't just have one tab.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:24:26 AM by IoanC » Logged

WPM
Archon

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »

I use the frontpage of Dubai Internet City. http://www.dubaiinternetcity.com/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »

Doesn't everyone in Texas use that as their homepage?  Huh  Smiley

WPM
Archon

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 08:24:51 PM »

Doesn't everyone in Texas use that as their homepage?  Huh  Smiley

Haha no, You go to your Internet Explorer browser Internet Options and enter in the address in that box it becomes your homepage. I like Firefox with the google search bar as well
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:26:37 PM by WPM » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: