OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:14:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving up something for lent?  (Read 2231 times) Average Rating: 0
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: February 09, 2005, 03:39:09 PM »

There's a discussion on most of my fitness boards today about giving things up for lent.  Most Catholic posters related their "giving up" to a diet/fitness goal, i.e. finally giving up sugar or no bread.  When did the idea of giving up something like chocolate for lent instead of fasting come about in the RCC?  I'm assuming after VII? 

I was raised RC and we were taught to give something like coke or candy up for lent.  I was really surprised when I started attending a new RC parish (non-trad) where the priest told us we had to fast during lent.  I've never heard that at any other non-trad parish.  Usually you get the stupid "fast from gossip" thing in the bulletin. 

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 03:50:35 PM »

This is not just some post-Vatican II thing.  While my parents (my dad anyways...my Mom converted in 1959) only ate what constituted one meal a day and abstained from meat on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays, they also gave up something "personal" as a small individual sacrifice to God.  For some reason, that unofficial practice carried over after the reforms.  It's not some crazy post-Vatican II innovation, at least in my farmily anyways.  The problem isn't the teaching, as the Catholic Church clearly teaches that one must abstain from meat on Fridays of Lent and on Ash Wednesday, as it always has, but in the inability of its clergy to teach it and to teach the benefits of it.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 03:56:41 PM »

I'm confused.   I thought Roman Catholics fasted during lent before Vatican II.  By fasting I don't mean just giving up meat on fridays and on Ash Wednesday and fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.  I was taught to do that. 

At this one RC parish the priest said fasting meant fasting every day.  Like abstaining from meat for all of lent. 

It just seems to me that giving up chocolate for lent is hardly the same thing.  I've done that and it's easy in comparison to fasting during the entire lenten period. 
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 04:52:25 PM »

I know I have seen that long ago fasting in the west was comparable to the East, particularly in pre-schism times.  Perhaps that is just one more thing in which the ethos of Orthodoxy has been lost through a thousand years of schism. 
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 06:00:37 PM »

Name the movie:

"But sir! We cannot eat this bird!"

"What?! Aaugh, is it Lent again already?!"

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 07:44:06 PM »

Besides the standard every Friday obligation(regardless of Lent), one was to defer something that was enjoyable during Lent and not disclose it till after(if at all), it was between you & the Lord.

The changes were made to the code in 1983.

One should not boast of what they gave up for Lent.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 08:38:08 PM »

I know I have seen that long ago fasting in the west was comparable to the East, particularly in pre-schism times. Perhaps that is just one more thing in which the ethos of Orthodoxy has been lost through a thousand years of schism.

I've heard several times that even Martin Luther kept the fast.  I think that it is more when the Reformation started that fasting and stuff (ok, call it pious praxis or whatever) majorly declined.
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 10:18:17 PM »

I'm going to tell my Platoon Sgt. that I'm giving up PT for lent, hahahah.  Nice avatar, Nektarios.  There's some kind of satisfaction I get out of seeing an icon (at a holy monastery) with the name "Arizonitatissa".  It's pretty neat for an American to see that.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 12:56:31 AM »

Thanks, it is especially nice since my home state is Arizona and I frequently go to Saint Anthony's. 
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 02:12:54 AM »

I might actually be in your neighborhood at the beginning of April.  I'm thinking about stopping at the monastery, but I'm not sure if I'll have time to.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 02:54:16 AM »

I highly recomend a visit if you can manage it.  I would be more than happy to give you a ride if you needed it except I will be out of town all of april... and where shall I be?  The Holy Mountian !
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 07:44:50 AM »

Prior to V-2 in addition to abstaining from meat every week day of Lent, one gave up other "pleasures"...desserts, entertainments of various kinds, etc. As an Anglican I was still giving up opera and theater as of last year. I don't know if I'll still do that, it doesn't seem part of the Orthodox tradition.

Proverbs 22:7
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 10:02:39 AM »

Name the movie:

That would be "Ladyhawke" in the scene where Phillipe(Matthew Broderick) brings the hawk to Father Imperious (Leo McKern).  Gorgeous movie (Scenery, photography, the horse,) Good acting and scrpit with a rock soundtrack that was a bit odd.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 10:07:55 AM »

Well, from my Anglican experience: Along with fasting is taking *on* things such as spiritual reading, acts of charity (using the money not spent on oneself for the good of others) and things like not giving free rein to one's less charitable impulses in dealing with other people.

We're working on explaining this to the older children: "Along with fasting from cookies, dear, think of not trying to boss your brother."  and "Somehow I don't think that taking on a promise to be a better gamier is quite a Lenten idea."  Wink

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 11:41:16 AM »

In many people's practice, giving up or restricting their lifestyle as well as their diet is common. People turn off the TV for lent, stop going to movies, keep the radio off in the car....all these things are about cutting out the distactions so that you can focus on prayer and increased spiritual discipline. It's absolutely part of the Orthodox tradition to do so, Crucifer.

Qui cantat, bis orat
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 12:45:47 PM »

my sis & I have promised each other about a billion things that we're going to give up over lent, including eating in front of the TV, partaking in the rather extensive selection on our bar, and diet soda...  that's on top of keeping the fridge full of fasting food only...  though I have great hope in this endevour, I see us lasting about a week on those things (the diet soda especially). 

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 04:30:03 PM »

Name the movie:

Ladyhawk....oh, dang it, Ebor beat me!

(s'what I get for not reading down...ew, and I spelled it wrong!  Embarrassed)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 04:30:57 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 07:13:10 PM »

Ladyhawk....oh, dang it, Ebor beat me!

(s'what I get for not reading down...ew, and I spelled it wrong! Embarrassed)

Age and cunning (or at least a memory like a lumber room) over come youth and speed. 

Grin

Meaning no disrespect, of course. And here is another quote from the movie, one of my favourites:

Phillipe: Sir, the truth is, I talk to God all the time, and, no offense, but he never mentioned you.

Wink
Ebor

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: