OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 07:56:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New cathedral in Moscow opening  (Read 1148 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: September 14, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »

From the Armenian Western Diocese:

On September 15, the Primate will depart for Moscow, Russia. Archbishop Derderian will join His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, high-ranking clergymen, representatives of the Diaspora, and government officials for the opening of St. Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral on September 17.

http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/news/primate-to-depart-to-moscow-russia-for-the-opening-of-st-gregory-the-illuminator-cathedral/
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:54:31 AM by Salpy » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »

I don't know anything about architecture but that looks fairly Rusian to me. Not that it would be anything wrong with that though.

Grin

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »

I don't know anything about architecture but that looks fairly Rusian to me. Not that it would be anything wrong with that though.

Actually, it's pretty Armenian.  I always associated Russian church architecture with "onion domes."

Grin

I should have been more specific.  It's the Western Diocese of the US, located in the Los Angeles area, as opposed to the Eastern Diocese of the US, located in New York.   Smiley

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »

Beautiful church. I love Armenian architecture.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 11:47:45 AM »

Actually, it's pretty Armenian.  I always associated Russian church architecture with "onion domes."

Grin

I should have been more specific.  It's the Western Diocese of the US, located in the Los Angeles area, as opposed to the Eastern Diocese of the US, located in New York.   Smiley

The upper portion of the Cathedral is definitely Armenian.  The crosses at the gate are also typically Armenian.  Snow on the ground already?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:49:21 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 11:54:41 AM »

If western Europeans had emulated Armenian and Georgian architecture rather than that stuff they ended up with they wouldn't be having the crisis of faith they are having now.

Perhaps a small exaggeration, but I do like that church.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »

If western Europeans had emulated Armenian and Georgian architecture rather than that stuff they ended up with they wouldn't be having the crisis of faith they are having now.

I dunno, Gothic is pretty awesome too.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »

I dunno, Gothic is pretty awesome too.

Indeed.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 03:33:20 PM »

Yeah...no...lol

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 08:13:16 PM »

Anyhow, glory be to God! Hopefully there will be good people in the cathedral, because it sucks when there is a beautiful building but bad clergy, whereas good clergy can make even a dump  into a place where God is present.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 11:09:14 PM »

Pictures from the consecration:

http://armenianow.com/arts_and_culture/48578/armenian_church_moscow_consecration_armenian_diaspora

http://www.rferl.org/content/armenia-apostolic-moscow-cathedral/25109320.html

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:16:30 PM »

Excerpts from one of the articles, above:

The Cathedral, resembling ancient temples of Armenia, has four entrances; the main entrance is located on the bell tower, which has stalactite vault- the unique type of decoration coverage, forgotten since the Middle Ages, and used after seven hundred years for the first time in that cathedral.

The height of the Cathedral, together with the cross makes 58 meters; the diameter of the dome, decorated with 72 crosses, is 21 meters.

"Armenian architecture is peculiar with its austerity. But we believe that beyond we need to show the best that we have achieved over the centuries, such as rich architectural forms, decorations, ornaments, bas-reliefs, pictures of saints,” said Artak Gulyan, the architect of the complex, which was built mainly on tuff, brought to Moscow specially for the cathedral’s construction from the village Anipemza of Shirak’s province.

Patriarch Kirill said that the opening of the temple is “the recovering of historical justice”. He noted that the Armenian community has suffered along with other Christian communities in Russia during “hard times” (meaning religion’s repression during communism), and the churches that were built with love by Armenian people in Russia have often been destroyed.

Catholicos Karekin II said that the cathedral seeks to "multiply the blessings and gifts sent down from heaven in a multi-traditional country, in the life of the Armenians who had settled in Russia, and Christ-loving brotherly Russian people”, and wished the Armenian –Russian friendship to "remain forever strong.”

Read the whole thing here:

http://armenianow.com/arts_and_culture/48578/armenian_church_moscow_consecration_armenian_diaspora

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 11:25:16 PM »

Nice photos!  Most of my favourite hats in one place... 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Regnare
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA catechumen

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 11:43:41 PM »

Does anyone know who did the paintings around the altar? It looks beautiful and very distinctive.

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »

It is unfortunate that there is no theological and liturgical unity between EOs and OOs, because I would definitely like to be able to serve in this place. It is very well done, and simple at the same time.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 04:28:47 PM »

Here's an article from the Russian Church about the event:

https://mospat.ru/en/2013/09/18/news91121/

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:32:06 PM by Salpy » Logged

Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 01:33:33 AM »

"Raised in the heart of Russia - Moscow, this complex will be the spiritual and cultural center in the lives of those who, regardless of nationality, consider themselves the carriers of Christian and human values,” said Bishop Yezras Nersissian, the Primate of the Armenian Diocese of Russia and New Nakhijevan..."

That is a pretty amazing statement coming from a contemporary Armenian Bishop!

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Pharaoh714

Jurisdiction: Coptic Rite

Lord Have Mercy! Christ Save me.

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 04:14:42 AM »

Looks amazing!

"If I say, "My foot slips," Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul." Psalm 94:18-19
Tags: Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: