OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 08:01:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep the Filioque  (Read 10897 times) Average Rating: 0
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #270 on: September 18, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »

"Why, then, should we not believe that the Holy Spirit proceeds also from the Son, when he is the Spirit also of the Son? For if the Holy Spirit did not proceed from him, when he showed himself to his disciples after his resurrection he would not have breathed upon them, saying, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit’ [John 20:22]. For what else did he signify by that breathing upon them except that the Holy Spirit proceeds also from him (Homilies on John 99:8 [A.D. 416]).
Here St. Augustine has confused economy with theology, which is a pervasive problem throughout his writings (i.e., including his treatise on the Trinity).
here though, Augustine is right. Others have concluded the same about the passages as they can only mean one things. How can Christ be God is he has not he spirit if God proceeding as it should with one whom we call God? Unless we equate two Gods, one that is the Hoky Spirit and the Father and the other that is the Father and The Son
This is how your Scholasticism leads you astray.

The One Whom the Father declares His Only Begotten Son declares that the Spirit proceeds from the Father.  How you get two Gods-or rather, gods-from that (like the Arians, btw) only shows the heretical nature of the Scholastic endevour.

LOL. I'm gonna show this in as plain terms as possible.

God has a spirit that proceeds from him (procedit). Now in nature/being all that the father has was given to the son including procession. The only things the son has not got is being the father himself which entitles source. Now since the father is the source of the trinity, the spirit finds his being in the father and not the son for this is an attribute of being the father and the son is not the father.

Yet the son is God. Gods spirit proceeds from him (procedit). The son HAD to have this happen through the son or else he is not God, this is the crux of the matter.

False. If what you say is true, since we Orthodox deny that the Spirit proceeds from the Son, that means in our theology, according to your argument, Christ is not God. Wich would make us kind of arians. And then it is not a semantic issue but a theological one, and your appeal to Kalistos Ware is irelevant.

Vatican logic is full of surprises. Aristotle is pleading innocent.

Nope because this is all in the frame of procedit not the Greek term. A lot of the time this is a misunderstanding. You guys in your theology with relation to the Greek term are correct. Latin theology in relation to procedit is correct to. You theology does not deny the sons divinity.

But the definition of the Council of Florence is definitely heretical.
Or definitely not. Smiley

Oh you  Smiley

In either case, the issue is far more complicated than the age-old procedit-ekporeuomai word game

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #271 on: September 18, 2013, 01:08:07 PM »

That's not how your Creed reads.  That's how you want us to believe you mean it, but you can't prove that conclusively from your own Church's historical records, nor can you argue that this is the plain sense of the Latin text or its various translations. 

Exactly.  You cannot have one verb (procedit) mean one thing when it relates to "from the Father" (ex patre) and then mean another thing when it relates to the "and from the Son" (filioque).  Speaking as a Latinist, I can find no instance in classical or post-classical Latin where the verb has two different (if not opposite) meanings when it is employed only one time for two different prepositional phrases.  Show me some evidence from the TLL or Lewis and Short and I'll reconsider it.  It's nothing but linguistic gymnastics that would make Suetonius blush!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #272 on: September 18, 2013, 01:11:56 PM »

That's not how your Creed reads.  That's how you want us to believe you mean it, but you can't prove that conclusively from your own Church's historical records, nor can you argue that this is the plain sense of the Latin text or its various translations. 

Exactly.  You cannot have one verb (procedit) mean one thing when it relates to "from the Father" (ex patre) and then mean another thing when it relates to the "and from the Son" (filioque).  Speaking as a Latinist, I can find no instance in classical or post-classical Latin where the verb has two different (if not opposite) meanings when it is employed only one time for two different prepositional phrases.  Show me some evidence from the TLL or Lewis and Short and I'll reconsider it.  It's nothing but linguistic gymnastics that would make Suetonius blush!
Actually, some words are capable of analogical or even equivocal predication .

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #273 on: September 18, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »

Not in the same sentence, though.

-Samuel Coleridge
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #274 on: September 18, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »

That's not how your Creed reads.  That's how you want us to believe you mean it, but you can't prove that conclusively from your own Church's historical records, nor can you argue that this is the plain sense of the Latin text or its various translations.  

Yes, but that is NOT what's going on here.  Again, you show me some other Latin EVIDENCE that procedit will assume different meanings with each object of the same preposition "ex" and I'll reconsider my objection (not to the filioque theologically, but to your linguistic contortions).  Until you can provide EVIDENCE in the Latin language that this has happened before, I will reject it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:19:24 PM by scamandrius » Logged

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #275 on: September 18, 2013, 01:19:08 PM »

Seems like an awfully confusing way to write a Creed that is supposed to CLEAR UP confusion.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #276 on: September 18, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »

Seems like an awfully confusing way to write a Creed that is supposed to CLEAR UP confusion.

What will be heard from RC pews this Sunday:

And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life who proceeds from the Father and the Son based upon predication analogically and equivocally which I don't even pretend to understand even though it does refute the Orthodox who refuse to say the Creed the right way, who with the Father and the Son...

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #277 on: September 18, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »

Exactly.  You cannot have one verb (procedit) mean one thing when it relates to "from the Father" (ex patre) and then mean another thing when it relates to the "and from the Son" (filioque).   Speaking as a Latinist, I can find no instance in classical or post-classical Latin where the verb has two different (if not opposite) meanings when it is employed only one time for two different prepositional phrases.  Show me some evidence from the TLL or Lewis and Short and I'll reconsider it.  It's nothing but linguistic gymnastics that would make Suetonius blush!
Yes, why not simply use a different Latin word for the two realities under review (i.e., the Spirit's procession of origin and His progression through the Son)?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:23:54 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #278 on: September 18, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »

Anyone here familiar with the most annoying children's song ever: " The Song that Never Ends?"

"This is the song that never ends.
It just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .

Repeat...

Repeat... Ad infinitum/Στο άπειρο"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_That_Never_Ends

(Attributed to Norman Martin, 1988.)
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #279 on: September 18, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »

Anyone here familiar with the most annoying children's song ever: " The Song that Never Ends?"

"This is the song that never ends.
It just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .

Repeat...

Repeat... Ad infinitum/Στο άπειρο"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_That_Never_Ends

(Attributed to Norman Martin, 1988.)
But it need not be a song that never ends if people are willing to affirm the need to translate the Greek words that refer to the Spirit's origin and His manifestation into Latin in such a way that the variety of meaning is maintained. So perhaps the Greek term προϊέναι, which refers to the movement of the Spirit from the Father through the Son, could be translated into Latin using the word "processio", while simultaneously removing any causal meaning that has been ascribed to that Latin term in the past. Next the Greek word ἐκπορευόμενον, which concerns the Holy Spirit's procession of origin from the Father alone, could be translated by using the Latin word "egreditur" (or some other Latin word), and that word could be given a causal significance like that of the Greek word it translates, and that would in effect turn the Latin word "egreditur" (or some other Latin word) into a technical theological term meant to exclusively refer to the Father's eternal causing of the Spirit's person.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:10:21 PM by Apotheoun » Logged

St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #280 on: September 18, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »

If both sides accepted a solution along the lines I have proposed, it would be possible for the East and the West to confess together - with St. John Damascene - that we speak of ". . . the Holy Spirit of God the Father, as proceeding (ἐκπορευόμενον) from Him, who is also said to be of the Son, as through Him manifest (φανεροὑμενον) and bestowed on the creation, but not as taking His existence (ὕπαρξιν) from the Son."

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #281 on: September 18, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »

The Orthodox Church does fine reciting it in English and many other languages that are not Greek. I think encouraging the Latins to come to the truth is the better option in the long run, even if it takes forever.

This goes without saying but we have the truth already.

This topic has become a pissing contest..... Lets move on....nothings going to be settled here.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #282 on: September 18, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »

...could be translated by using the Latin word "egreditur" (or some other Latin word), and that word could be given a causal significance like that of the Greek word it translates, and that would in effect turn the Latin word "egreditur" (or some other Latin word) into a technical theological term meant to exclusively refer to the Father's eternal causing of the Spirit's person.

Egreditur has the same number of syllables as Filioque.  Congratulations, you have saved the Western liturgical musical patrimony!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
John of Patmos
Sinful Newbie

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek (not yet catechumen)

Saint Polycarp, my patron

« Reply #283 on: September 18, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »

A better alternative:

http://dropthefilioque.org/
+1  I don't think the Filioque should have been added
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:01:39 PM by John of Patmos » Logged

Holy Father John Chrysostom, intercede for me!
That map ialmisry posted just makes me want to play Crusader Kings II.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #284 on: September 18, 2013, 04:54:03 PM »

...could be translated by using the Latin word "egreditur" (or some other Latin word), and that word could be given a causal significance like that of the Greek word it translates, and that would in effect turn the Latin word "egreditur" (or some other Latin word) into a technical theological term meant to exclusively refer to the Father's eternal causing of the Spirit's person.

Egreditur has the same number of syllables as Filioque.  Congratulations, you have saved the Western liturgical musical patrimony!

but the accentuation is wrong.  e-GRED-i-tur vs. FIL-i-o-que

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #285 on: September 18, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »

Sure, but shouldn't it be easier to adjust the music around this than around a longer/shorter word?  I'm not a musician by any means, so I don't know, I just figured it might work this way. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #286 on: September 18, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »

Nope because this is all in the frame of procedit not the Greek term. A lot of the time this is a misunderstanding. You guys in your theology with relation to the Greek term are correct. Latin theology in relation to procedit is correct to. You theology does not deny the sons divinity.

You keep bouncing around the issue without actually taking a stand.  

No I took a stand. You just refuse to recognize it. Can't help you with that.

You say that Orthodox theology, related as it is to the Greek term, is correct, and that Latin theology, related as it is to the Latin term, is also correct.
Yes

But you also assert that the Greek term is interested in origins, while the Latin term is interested in motion.  
Not just assert, but in fact IS THE CASE.

But when asked how the Latins were able to (mis)translate the Greek term so that it no longer means what the Greek means because it is no longer talking about the same concept, you want to say that the Latin term indicates both origin and motion.  

It doesn't and I never said it did. Read further down.

when asked how that doesn't make the Son an "origin" of the Spirit, you say it doesn't--that it means origin when it refers to the Father and motion when it refers to the Son, even if that's not at all the plain sense of the Latin.

No the  Latin term means what the Latin term means, "to go forth". However I was explaining Latin filioque in the creed keeping in mind the original Greek meaning coupled with the Latin meaning due to the use of procedit. And BOOM!... You have a logical explanation
no, you have a convoluted mess.

If you neglect the original Greek meaning then STILL the filioque is orthodox as all the creed is saying (in the strictly Latin sense) is ... " We believe in the Holy Spirit... Who goes forth (proceeds/ procedit) from the father and the son..."

But of course we don't neglect the original Greek meaning and that's why I explained the creed that way to you
We'll stick to the Faith explained in the Creed by the Fathers in the original Greek.

An explanation of the explanation of the explanation etc. just gets you deeper into heresy.  As the Vatican finds itself now after centuries of "explanation."

The common thread in all of this is "The Pope is never wrong".  

When speaking from the chair on faith and morals, yeah, he's never wrong... Charism of the Holy Spirit baby  Cool
A different spirit inspired Pastor Aeternus.  Not the one proceeding from the Son, but the one trying to tempt Him in the wilderness. Unlike the Lord, your supreme pontiff fell for it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 05:35:27 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »

Happens all the time in the Latin text of the Summa theologiae. "Being" and "existence" are routinely applied to God and creatures in an analogical manner.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #288 on: September 18, 2013, 06:25:01 PM »

Speaking as a Latinist,

I thought you were a high school teacher who also tutors kids in well Latin for kids.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #289 on: September 18, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »

Happens all the time in the Latin text of the Summa theologiae. "Being" and "existence" are routinely applied to God and creatures in an analogical manner.

Speaking as a languagist, it happens all the time in every language. You really don't have to argue with these people.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #290 on: September 18, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »

I don't think you are an Arian. Just mistaken.  Grin

This is why I found #8 so outrageous. If anyone still remember the article from the beginning of the discussion that is. Smiley

(Incidentally, I've almost completely given up on reading this thread. I'm still reading a small fraction of the posts, e.g. the above. Smiley)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #291 on: September 18, 2013, 08:05:28 PM »

Kipling said it best, "East is east, west is west and never the twain shall meet."

Kipling was wrong.

In Christ there is no East or West
-John Oxenham

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #292 on: September 18, 2013, 09:05:13 PM »

When speaking from the chair on faith and morals, yeah, he's never wrong... Charism of the Holy Spirit baby  Cool

The Holy Spirit who, btw, proceeds from the Father and the Son. Smiley

Then, as St. Gregory Palamas points out, if such is the case, the Holy Spirit is God the Father's cosmic Grandchild.  Either that or, we can follow St. Gregory the Theologian (4th c.), who points out that the Spirit is likened to Eve who was not born of Adam, but proceeded from him. 
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #293 on: September 18, 2013, 09:06:24 PM »

Speaking as a Latinist,

I thought you were a high school teacher who also tutors kids in well Latin for kids.

I'm a Ph.D.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #294 on: September 18, 2013, 09:26:05 PM »

Speaking as a Latinist,

I'm a Ph.D.

No offense, just a clarification, so are a couple of my kids (Ph.D' s)  but they couldn't offer an academically vetted  opinion here as one is a scientist, the other a poet. You need to be a bit more specific if you're throwing degrees around for credibility sake.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #295 on: September 18, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »

Orthonorm called my credentials into question by implying I'm some lowly high school teacher who couldn't possibly know anything about Latin or even be called a Latinist.  I have a B.A. in Classical Languages, an M.A. in Classical Language another in English and my Ph.D. in Classical Studies with my area of concentration being Late Antiquity, focusing on the Latin West from 200-700 A.D. I hope this clears up any question about my credentials to discuss anything Latin related.  If you need anything more before I submit future posts, please PM me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:53:24 PM by scamandrius » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #296 on: September 18, 2013, 10:00:03 PM »

Orthonorm called my credentials into question by implying I'm some lowly high school teacher who couldn't possibly know anything about Latin or even be called a Latinist.  I have a B.A. in Classical Languages, an M.A. in Classical Language another in English and my Ph.D. in Classical Studies with my area of concentration being Late Antiquity, focusing on the Latin West from 200-700 A.D. I hope this clears up any question about my credentials to discuss anything Latin related.  If you need anything more before I submit future posts, please PM me.

For me, Orthonorm's statements have a slight tendency to go in one ear and out the other, so to speak. (Or should I say eye?)

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #297 on: September 18, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »

Shocked

Can you even pronounce that? Horribile auditu!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:21:34 PM by Romaios » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #298 on: September 18, 2013, 10:12:42 PM »

Orthonorm called my credentials into question by implying I'm some lowly high school teacher who couldn't possibly know anything about Latin or even be called a Latinist.  I have a B.A. in Classical Languages, an M.A. in Classical Language another in English and my Ph.D. in Classical Studies with my area of concentration being Late Antiquity, focusing on the Latin West from 200-700 A.D. I hope this clears up any question about my credentials to discuss anything Latin related.  If you need anything more before I submit future posts, please PM me.

I suspected as much and having your CV out and in the open in this discussion lends weight to your pov. Most of us are without any skill set to argue, let alone understand the nuances and/or clear meaning of ancient languages. Since that has become a focus of this thread, I'm glad to know that an Orthodox voice with the academic background to offer a cogent response in defense of the Orthodox understanding has weighed in, in defense of our Faith. Thanks.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #299 on: September 18, 2013, 10:54:46 PM »

This is why I found #8 so outrageous. If anyone still remember the article from the beginning of the discussion that is. Smiley

(Incidentally, I've almost completely given up on reading this thread. I'm still reading a small fraction of the posts, e.g. the above. Smiley)

Thanks for the update!   police

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #300 on: September 18, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »

Not sure what's so lowly about being a high school teacher. Of the many dozens (hundreds?) of books I've read by modern Orthodox authors, possibly the one I found most helpful was by a high school teacher (Panayiotis Nellas). But pardon me for taking things even further astray  angel

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #301 on: September 18, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »

Wandile, happy almost-belated 20th birthday!  Filioque is still heretical, but I hope you had a good day anyway.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #302 on: September 18, 2013, 11:34:15 PM »

It clears matters up for me. I would have been happy to have you as a Latin teacher at the small Catholic high school where I worked as Vice Principal.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #303 on: September 19, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »

When speaking from the chair on faith and morals, yeah, he's never wrong... Charism of the Holy Spirit baby  Cool

Then, as St. Gregory Palamas points out, if such is the case, the Holy Spirit is God the Father's cosmic Grandchild.  Either that or, we can follow St. Gregory the Theologian (4th c.), who points out that the Spirit is likened to Eve who was not born of Adam, but proceeded from him. 
That's silly. The Holy Spirit is neither begotten of the Father nor the Son. He proceeds from them.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #304 on: September 19, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »

Shocked

Wait till you have to pronounce Ennius' poetry.

-Samuel Coleridge
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #305 on: September 19, 2013, 01:33:40 PM »

Wandile, happy almost-belated 20th birthday!  Filioque is still heretical, but I hope you had a good day anyway.  Tongue

LOL Thank you Mor,  Grin!! I really enjoyed it!

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #306 on: September 19, 2013, 01:34:47 PM »

That's silly. The Holy Spirit is neither begotten of the Father nor the Son. He proceeds from them.
My thoughts exactly

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #307 on: September 19, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »

Shocked

Olli respondit suauis sonus Egeriai
Mensas constituit idemque ancilia
Libaque, fictores, Argeos, et tutulatos 
    Volturnalem
Palatualem Furinalem Floralemque
Falacremque et Pomonalem fecit hic idem
Si quid me fuerit humanitus, ut teneatis
    Mettoeoque Fufetioeo
    quianam legiones caedimus ferro.

I have to admit he beats FILioquelaugh
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #308 on: September 19, 2013, 06:23:29 PM »

LOL Thank you Mor,  Grin!! I really enjoyed it!

Smiley

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #309 on: September 19, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »

Shocked

It ain't Vergil, but then again it's not supposed to be.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2013, 05:24:33 AM »

Credentials mean nothing when compared to arguments. I couldn't careless if you had a PhD with highest honors in Latin, doesn't make you some authority on the subject/

skill set to argue
lulz

let alone understand the nuances and/or clear meaning of ancient languages.
And you know he understands this how? Because he has a degree?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2013, 05:24:33 AM »

Speaking as a Latinist,

I'm a Ph.D.
Umm so what?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »

Umm so what?

I think that response could be made to pretty much anything that anyone might post.

Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2013, 11:55:51 AM »

Speaking as a Latinist,

I'm a Ph.D.
Umm so what?
It means that he has studied a field that perhaps you have not.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Apotheoun
OC.net guru

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2013, 11:57:17 AM »

As far as the original issue is concerned I still think that correcting the way that the Latin Church translates the word ἐκπορευόμενον could go a long way to reconciling the two sides.

St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Theodore Studite
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: