Author Topic: The Catholic Fundamentalism position on the Greek Orthodox  (Read 578 times)

Angel Gabriel and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
The Catholic Fundamentalism position on the Greek Orthodox
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
The Eastern Orthodox Church is the oldest surviving Protestant denomination.  Many think the phrase “Close, but no cigar.” seems to describe it.  Since it does not recognize Papal authority, it is not following Christ’s organizational plan that He expressed succinctly in “Thou are Peter, and on this rock I build My Church.”  Since it does not recognize Christ’s authority in this matter, it is in schism.

As a result of what may seem to be a comparatively mild heresy, the Orthodox Church territories have been thoroughly ravaged.  The first big wave of destruction came from the Moslems, who ransacked much of their empire.  Later, Communists took over their churches and lands in Russia.

The root of the problem seems to be the vanity that makes it hard for them to fully understand The Trinity.  To them, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit must be re-defined.  They avoid having the Son be equal with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

http://catholicfundamentalism.com/the-catholic-fundamentalism-position-on-the-greek-orthodox/2826
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
Re: The Catholic Fundamentalism position on the Greek Orthodox
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
That first line got a longer and louder laugh out of me than anything else yet this year :D

Offline Deacon Lance

• Archon
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »
Uh, no.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • In life as in art, grace glides on blistered feet.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:20:46 PM »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:23:21 PM »
Awesome parody. A++ Will visit again! 8)

"Catholic Fundamentalism recognizes that The Unprogrammed Programmer programmed and downloaded an entire universe that looks, sounds, smells, and feels just the way it does. He and His angelic sub-Programmers downloaded solids, liquids, and gases with what we imagine as 3-D fractals, pixels in three dimensions...

"The Bible is His Programming Log. There’s an Old Programming Log and a New Programming Log. The Programming Logs, written with Iron Age vocabularies that are increasingly out of touch with modern technology, tell us what He has programmed...

"To be worth considering, a new way of looking at the world must give better answers to old questions. In the “Books and excerpts” section of this site, there’s a volume, “New Road to Rome”. Download it at no cost. On page 115, you’ll see, at long last, the answer to “Who actually wrote Shakespeare’s plays?”

"After you’ve discovered who really wrote Shakespeare’s plays, scroll back to page 4 in that book, and learn what “words” really are. It’s amazing that billions of us have used words all our lives and only a handful of Catholic Fundamentalists actually understand their basic nature..."

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:24:35 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »
There are thousands of blog posts on there. After reading through a half dozen I can with 100% certainty say that I am going to read every single one. Probably not all in one sitting though.

Online Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Φέρ' ὕδωρ φέρ' οἶνον, ὦ παῖ!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »
A house of glass.

Recently a reader asked about the Catholic Fundamentalism the Protestant Fundamentalism's position on the Greek Orthodox. Roman Catholics.

In a nutshell, the Catholic Fundamentalism the Protestant Fundamentalism's position on the Greek Orthodox Roman Catholic denomination is:

[...]

As a result of what may seem to be a comparatively mild heresy, the Orthodox Church Catholic Church territories have been thoroughly ravaged.  The first big wave of destruction came from the Moslems Reformers, who ransacked much of their empire.  Later, Communists Revolutionary France took over their churches and lands in Russia France, Italy, etc.

For years, the entire nations the nations of Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal, homeland homelands of the Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholics, has have been on welfare.  Funds for its national survival are provided with increasing reluctance by Catholic Protestant and more modern Protestant atheist taxpayers in Western Europe.  “Will the Greeks Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese and Irish ever do anything right?  They are such a drain!” complain those forced to subsidize their economic incompetence while writing the endless checks that keep the homeland homelands of the Greek Orthodox Roman Catholics afloat.

While God does not appear to have completely abandoned the Greek Orthodox Roman Catholics, He certainly has not showered them with as many blessings as have been poured out on the Roman Catholic Church Lutheran and Reformed churches, like the Western Hemisphere North-Western Europe and North America.  The Greed Orthodox Roman Catholics give little indication of noticing.

[...]

It may be that the Greeks Italians, Spaniards, etc.have been mad at God and His world since uppity Romans Germans and Anglo-Saxons, whom the Greeks aforementioned nations believed to be inferior to them in every way, conquered and enslaved them in an economical way.  Now, their nation’s economy is barely bigger than the city of Philadelphia state of California.  Few see any reason to think about them much longer than it takes to read this short description of the Catholic Fundamentalism Protestant Fundamentalism's position on the Greek Orthodox. Roman Catholics
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:26:11 PM by Cyrillic »
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

νίκας τοῖς Βασιλεῦσι κατὰ βαρβάρων δωρούμενος

Online TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 06:20:40 PM »
I thought that had to be a parody site until I went to their facebook page. Alas, it is not.
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • St. Olga Nikolaevna
  • Jurisdiction: Alpaca ministries
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 06:34:16 PM »
Go on the Fisheaters forum and read what they have to say about Orthodoxy. It's alternately hilarious and cringeworthy.
"But we must live in the world, having peace in our soul. We must live amidst strangers; we must suffer, struggle, and firmly believe. We must seek our consolation in prayer and not doubt the love and compassion of God. He is above everyone and everything."

This user posts here but probably shouldn't.

Online TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »
Go on the Fisheaters forum and read what they have to say about Orthodoxy. It's alternately hilarious and cringeworthy.
I just took a gander over there. I've never heard of it before. I didn't see much about Orthodoxy except for some guy asking how he can "avoid the temptation of Orthodoxy".

lol

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 07:33:49 PM »
I just took a gander over there. I've never heard of it before. I didn't see much about Orthodoxy except for some guy asking how he can "avoid the temptation of Orthodoxy".

lol
How old was the post? It could have been me from 8 years ago. LOL.
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Online TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 07:35:36 PM »
I'm trying to find it again. It was less than a year old though.

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • St. Olga Nikolaevna
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 07:40:58 PM »

lol

There's a good bit, you just have to search for it. One of my "favorite" threads there was about Old Believers.
"But we must live in the world, having peace in our soul. We must live amidst strangers; we must suffer, struggle, and firmly believe. We must seek our consolation in prayer and not doubt the love and compassion of God. He is above everyone and everything."

Offline Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 09:28:31 PM »
The Eastern Orthodox Church is the oldest surviving Protestant denomination.  Many think the phrase “Close, but no cigar.” seems to describe it.  Since it does not recognize Papal authority, it is not following Christ’s organizational plan that He expressed succinctly in “Thou are Peter, and on this rock I build My Church.”  Since it does not recognize Christ’s authority in this matter, it is in schism.

As a result of what may seem to be a comparatively mild heresy, the Orthodox Church territories have been thoroughly ravaged.  The first big wave of destruction came from the Moslems, who ransacked much of their empire.  Later, Communists took over their churches and lands in Russia.

The root of the problem seems to be the vanity that makes it hard for them to fully understand The Trinity.  To them, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit must be re-defined.  They avoid having the Son be equal with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

http://catholicfundamentalism.com/the-catholic-fundamentalism-position-on-the-greek-orthodox/2826

This user doesn't post here enough.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • At Jacob's Well you were proved well named
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 10:40:45 PM »
Wouldn't the oldest surviving Protestant group be the Oriental Orthodox Church, or are they just regarded as straight up heretics?

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »
Wouldn't the oldest surviving Protestant group be the Oriental Orthodox Church, or are they just regarded as straight up heretics?

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »
Mor I'm starting to think that you're not paying attention to my user name any more.

I'm speaking from the position of this "Catholic Fundamentalist"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:56:56 PM by lovesupreme »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 11:05:23 PM »
A house of glass.

Recently a reader asked about the Catholic Fundamentalism the Protestant Fundamentalism's position on the Greek Orthodox. Roman Catholics.

In a nutshell, the Catholic Fundamentalism the Protestant Fundamentalism's position on the Greek Orthodox Roman Catholic denomination is:

[...]

As a result of what may seem to be a comparatively mild heresy, the Orthodox Church Catholic Church territories have been thoroughly ravaged.  The first big wave of destruction came from the Moslems Reformers, who ransacked much of their empire.  Later, Communists Revolutionary France took over their churches and lands in Russia France, Italy, etc.

For years, the entire nations the nations of Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal, homeland homelands of the Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholics, has have been on welfare.  Funds for its national survival are provided with increasing reluctance by Catholic Protestant and more modern Protestant atheist taxpayers in Western Europe.  “Will the Greeks Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese and Irish ever do anything right?  They are such a drain!” complain those forced to subsidize their economic incompetence while writing the endless checks that keep the homeland homelands of the Greek Orthodox Roman Catholics afloat.

While God does not appear to have completely abandoned the Greek Orthodox Roman Catholics, He certainly has not showered them with as many blessings as have been poured out on the Roman Catholic Church Lutheran and Reformed churches, like the Western Hemisphere North-Western Europe and North America.  The Greed Orthodox Roman Catholics give little indication of noticing.

[...]

It may be that the Greeks Italians, Spaniards, etc.have been mad at God and His world since uppity Romans Germans and Anglo-Saxons, whom the Greeks aforementioned nations believed to be inferior to them in every way, conquered and enslaved them in an economical way.  Now, their nation’s economy is barely bigger than the city of Philadelphia state of California.  Few see any reason to think about them much longer than it takes to read this short description of the Catholic Fundamentalism Protestant Fundamentalism's position on the Greek Orthodox. Roman Catholics
yeah, they depend on people not knowing history. Too bad that's a good bet.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 11:06:56 PM »
but don't post or you'll be banned faster than CAF.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • St. Olga Nikolaevna
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 11:10:32 PM »
but don't post or you'll be banned faster than CAF.

Lol. I'm actually not banned from CAF. Yet.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 11:14:45 PM »

I suppose the fact that intelligent people can't tell is a mark in its credit (supposing the goal is not to communicate with those people).

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 11:20:42 PM »
Mor I'm starting to think that you're not paying attention to my user name any more.

Catholic Fundamentalists do not know we exist.  :P

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 11:35:32 PM »
it is not following Christ’s organizational plan

Lol @ people who criticize modernism and then go write stuff like this
Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

http://hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com/

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 11:36:34 PM »

They probably know you under a different name, tbh.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 12:14:28 AM »

Deserves a Poe award for sure!

Speaking of which, I've observed a related phenomenon which I shall henceforth refer to as "Minnesotan's Law". It can be summed as:

The longer a person engages with an extreme belief system with the intent of satirizing it, criticizing it, or trolling, the probability of that person actually beginning to sincerely embrace that belief system will approach one.

Minnesotan's law is the offspring of Poe's law and Stockholm Syndrome, with Godwin's Law as godparent.

Examples of Minnesotan's law in action include Steve Drain (who initially set out to make a documentary criticizing the Westboro Baptist Church but instead ended up joining it), and a lot of the guys on 4chan and other similar sites (who started out expressing tongue-in-cheek Nazi sentiments "for the lulz", but many of their tongues now seem to have left their cheeks in that regard). The manosphere phenomenon might in part owe its growth rate to young, single, lonely guys making ironically sexist jokes and then actually starting to believe them. And someone on this forum a while ago mentioned young Orthodox guys logging on to an outspokenly atheist website in an attempt to evangelize the people there, only to themselves end up becoming atheists not long afterward.

Perhaps a more positive example would be that of C. S. Lewis who attempted to refute Christianity, but instead ended up converting to it once he realized that none of his arguments against it actually held up.

Maybe Catholic Fundamentalism started as a parody site, but then the person(s) running it actually began to believe their own spiel after a while....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:22:40 AM by Minnesotan »
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.

Offline Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 12:15:55 AM »

They don't. I once read an apologetics book that claimed that 1054 was the first permanent break in Christendom. The whole book was an attempt to gum up history and the facts to paint the Eastern Orthodox as proto-protestants.
This user doesn't post here enough.

Offline William T

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 12:32:25 AM »

Deserves a Poe award for sure!

Speaking of which, I've observed a related phenomenon which I shall henceforth refer to as "Minnesotan's Law". It can be summed as:

The longer a person engages with an extreme belief system with the intent of satirizing it, criticizing it, or trolling, the probability of that person actually beginning to sincerely embrace that belief system will approach one.

Minnesotan's law is the offspring of Poe's law and Stockholm Syndrome, with Godwin's Law as godparent.

Examples of Minnesotan's law in action include Steve Drain (who initially set out to make a documentary criticizing the Westboro Baptist Church but instead ended up joining it), and a lot of the guys on 4chan and other similar sites (who started out expressing tongue-in-cheek Nazi sentiments "for the lulz", but many of their tongues now seem to have left their cheeks in that regard). The manosphere phenomenon might in part owe its growth rate to young, single, lonely guys making ironically sexist jokes and then actually starting to believe them. And someone on this forum a while ago mentioned young Orthodox guys logging on to an outspokenly atheist website in an attempt to evangelize the people there, only to themselves end up becoming atheists not long afterward.

Perhaps a more positive example would be that of C. S. Lewis who attempted to refute Christianity, but instead ended up converting to it once he realized that none of his arguments against it actually held up.

Maybe Catholic Fundamentalism started as a parody site, but then the person(s) running it actually began to believe their own spiel after a while....

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I think there is an Orthodox saint who said something about being a bee and buzz around flowers,  not a fly who constantly is attracted to and buzzing around dung.  Same principle.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:37:30 AM by William T »
"While other animals look downwards at the ground, he gave human beings an upturned aspect, commanding them to look towards the skies, and, upright, raise their face to the stars. So the earth, that had been, a moment ago, uncarved and imageless, changed and assumed the unknown shapes of human beings."

Ovid, Metamorphosis Book I

Offline Lazarus1

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »
Christ's own words:

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it."

"Many are called, few are chosen."
It takes a wise man to discover a wise man.....

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #28 on: Today at 11:19:30 AM »
That first line got a longer and louder laugh out of me than anything else yet this year :D

Yeah, me too.  I thought that line was hilariously funny and somewhat sad at the same moment.  I guess the hard line west is in grove.

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
« Reply #29 on: Today at 11:21:02 AM »

;)

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30 on: Today at 11:22:04 AM »

That cat is cooool !

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Elder
  • O Most Holy Theotokos, save us
  • Faith: EO or Coptic? leaning EO
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR, Greek OR Coptic?
« Reply #31 on: Today at 11:47:01 AM »

lol

There's a good bit, you just have to search for it. One of my "favorite" threads there was about Old Believers.

thanks kelly i dread going to fisheaters I remember going there when I had a Trad Catholic phase. Ohh yeah forget too add regardless how anyone here might feel about Zionism, Judiasm, Israel Trad sites like fisheaters can go over the top with blatant anti-semitism. Thank God I found Orthodoxy.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • An Ideal to Strive Towards
« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:58:04 AM »

lol

thanks kelly i dread going to fisheaters I remember going there when I had a Trad Catholic phase. Ohh yeah forget too add regardless how anyone here might feel about Zionism, Judiasm, Israel Trad sites like fisheaters can go over the top with blatant anti-semitism. Thank God I found Orthodoxy.
The site owner, Vox, has done quite a bit as of late to eliminate the toxic trads from the site. It's a much more pleasant place now.
My posts no longer forum here.