Author Topic: Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill meeting "getting closer"  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Melkite Catholic
Re: Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill meeting "getting closer"
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2015, 10:28:24 PM »
Reality to journalists:  NOT. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

Have you dropped St. Mark of Ephesus from your calendar yet?

I'm sorry, I don't see how these comments are related. Could you explain it to me if you have the time?

Why would someone who opposes an Orthodox Patriarch even meeting with the Pope, want to venerate St. Mark of Ephesus?
- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 10:43:06 PM »
I always did suspect St. Mark of Ephesus of being a dirty ecumenist for going to visit the pope. If only the Serbs had been there to stop him from going.
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline KostaC

• Elder
  • Chicago River Dyeing, March 15th, 20
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2015, 11:00:12 PM »

I'm sorry, I don't see how these comments are related. Could you explain it to me if you have the time?

Why would someone who opposes an Orthodox Patriarch even meeting with the Pope, want to venerate St. Mark of Ephesus?

You know, I didn't see it that way. Thank you.

To everyone who says that it's bad that His Beatitude might meet the Pope someday, I would like to ask why; not as a challenge, but as a genuine question. If Jesus didn't meet with heretics, how would he debate the Pharisees that tried to undo Him at every twist & turn or preach? He didn't write letters to those outside His flock to maintain purity. Jesus, Saint Nicholas, Saint Gregory Palamas, St. Mark of Efesos, they all met with heretics on equal ground to lay down why they thought they were wrong & why they were wrong. Perhaps, in a way, His Beatitude has[i/] to meet with his opponents. How else can he show them the way? I'm genuinely asking, not challenging; how can he preach to those outside the Church and bring them back into the fold of the one, Holy, Catholic, & Apostolic Church without physically meeting them face-to-face? I do not think that letters nor emails will cut it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:00:51 PM by KostaC »
«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34

"Bendito seja o que vem em nome do Senhor, o Senhor é Deus e se manifestou a nós."

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2015, 11:12:01 PM »

:)

how can he preach to those outside the Church and bring them back into the fold of the one, Holy, Catholic, & Apostolic Church without physically meeting them face-to-face?

This wasn't addressed to me, but fwiw I want to point out that some on my side of the fence think (or maybe I should say seem to think, since they often hint at things without saying them clearly) that the meeting will lead to the Pope bringing the Patriarch back into the fold.

Offline KostaC

• Elder
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2015, 11:34:49 PM »
This wasn't addressed to me, but fwiw I want to point out that some on my side of the fence think (or maybe I should say seem to think, since they often hint at things without saying them clearly) that the meeting will lead to the Pope bringing the Patriarch back into the fold.

I'm well aware. Your people are entitled to their opinion, I don't fault you for that. Your people have made your choices & are free to believe what you please. It's not like we're going to declare a holy war over it. I pray that if this meeting ever happens, that God can use His Beautitude as He sees fit, but I doubt much'll come of it. I personally am the biggest skeptic of ecumenism: neither for it nor against it, I'm just a Doubting Thomas to quote an old Greek phrase.
«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34

"Bendito seja o que vem em nome do Senhor, o Senhor é Deus e se manifestou a nós."

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2015, 11:50:52 PM »

I'm well aware. Your people are entitled to their opinion,

True, we've got to respect people's right to free speech.

Still it would be nice if we could at least send them back to kindergarten. (And by "them" I mean those on either side who think "meeting with Pope" = "Patriarch coming into communion with Rome".)

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 11:20:31 AM »
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I also heard that the Pope's meeting is to entail the repatriation of Greek Catholic churches that were granted the Orthodox during the Communist reign and NOT so much on unification.
Secondly, I think the wedge of separation is pretty much permanently fixed.

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »

how can he preach to those outside the Church and bring them back into the fold of the one, Holy, Catholic, & Apostolic Church without physically meeting them face-to-face?

Yes, my Roman Catholic friends all think that the Pope is going to bring the EP and hence all Orthodox Christians into unity with Rome. They think it is a done deal with the latest encyclical, and they are gloating over it already.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox. Truly, madly, deeply
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 11:43:37 AM »
So what's with all the drama over the supposed meeting? Except of course silly laymen being more Catholic/Orthodox than their hierarchs. Why can't they simply decide proper time and place for a meeting?
The user should probably be sleeping by now.

Offline FatherGiryus

• A terrible human being
  • Archon
  • Faith: Genuine New Calendar Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochianistic Eparchy
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 11:57:41 AM »

Yes, my Roman Catholic friends all think that the Pope is going to bring the EP and hence all Orthodox Christians into unity with Rome. They think it is a done deal with the latest encyclical, and they are gloating over it already.

Predicting the date of unity with the Orthodox is becoming to Roman Catholics what predicting the date of the Apocalypse is to Evangelicals.

I was at a conference for RC priests some years back, and one rather prominent ad well-respected priest gave his prediction.  I kept quiet at the time, but later reminded the gathered clergy that in Orthodox world, we are the cowboys and the Roman Catholics are the Indians.  They were stunned that there was that kind of animosity.  It seems that they were kind of hoping that the Orthodox would fix some of their problems.
http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb

Offline Tikhon29605

• High Elder
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 12:04:31 PM »

Predicting the date of unity with the Orthodox is becoming to Roman Catholics what predicting the date of the Apocalypse is to Evangelicals.

I was at a conference for RC priests some years back, and one rather prominent ad well-respected priest gave his prediction.  I kept quiet at the time, but later reminded the gathered clergy that in Orthodox world, we are the cowboys and the Roman Catholics are the Indians.  They were stunned that there was that kind of animosity.  It seems that they were kind of hoping that the Orthodox would fix some of their problems.

I nominate that for Post of the Month!

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 12:05:01 PM »
I'm sorry I won't be able to join my kind of ecumenical meeting this saturday. Most are Roman Catholics who favor traditional masses, there is one Orthodox and an Umbandist. They'll get together in a sports bar to watch a game, but I can't make it :( .

Instead of quasi-official services, joint prayers, dialogues, common nods to globalist political agendas and other stuff like that, I'd be more than pleased to join a Pope or any Roman Catholic in this kind of ecumenism :

Far healthier.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:07:04 PM by Fabio Leite »
Many energies, three persons, two natures, one God, one Church, one Baptism.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox. Truly, madly, deeply
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2015, 12:09:31 PM »
^ That's the kind of ecumenism that I regulargy practice. When prayer is not possible there's always beer.
The user should probably be sleeping by now.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »
^ That's the kind of ecumenism that I regulargy practice. When prayer is not possible there's always beer.

We should call all for the I Ebeermenical Council of Christianity.
Many energies, three persons, two natures, one God, one Church, one Baptism.

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2015, 04:33:51 PM »

Brilliant ! At least this works every time.

Offline Mountain

• Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2015, 09:41:36 PM »
I always did suspect St. Mark of Ephesus of being a dirty ecumenist for going to visit the pope. If only the Serbs had been there to stop him from going.

Actually, Serbian bishops were threatened by Serbian despot Stefan Lazarević to be killed if they go to Rome to attend Florence Council. Serbia back then had strictest laws against Latin heresy, forged in 1340s. So Serbian bishops were the only Orthodox Church that did not attend the Council of Florence if i am not wrong. It is our long and great tradition to hate the pope. Have problem with that? Wanna piece of me?

Offline Mountain

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2015, 09:44:32 PM »

To everyone who says that it's bad that His Beatitude might meet the Pope someday, I would like to ask why; not as a challenge, but as a genuine question. If Jesus didn't meet with heretics, how would he debate the Pharisees that tried to undo Him at every twist & turn or preach? He didn't write letters to those outside His flock to maintain purity. Jesus, Saint Nicholas, Saint Gregory Palamas, St. Mark of Efesos, they all met with heretics on equal ground to lay down why they thought they were wrong & why they were wrong. Perhaps, in a way, His Beatitude has[i/] to meet with his opponents. How else can he show them the way? I'm genuinely asking, not challenging; how can he preach to those outside the Church and bring them back into the fold of the one, Holy, Catholic, & Apostolic Church without physically meeting them face-to-face? I do not think that letters nor emails will cut it.

Again fake and gay ecumenist arguments. Apostles established the rules which forbid, especially for clergy, the gather and pray with heretics. And if Patriarch Cyril goes and meet with pope, they will not debate, they will do a handshake, and waste some money on that stupid trip. I would support Patriarch Cyril's meeting with the pope if he wants to debate and convert the pope.

Offline Mountain

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »
And i think patriarch Cyril should not meet the pope, as long as Rome supports this "Eastern Catholic" mission in Ukraine. They need to back off. And i think this is what Russian Church openly admits.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Chapter one again, here I go again
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2015, 10:02:27 PM »
I didn't know arguments could be gay.  :o

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »
And i think patriarch Cyril should not meet the pope, as long as Rome supports this "Eastern Catholic" mission in Ukraine. 

So just to be sure I understand, is it not a problem that the Pope imposes on Eastern Catholics too much (and in the particular case of the UGCC, calls their head "Major Archbishop" and not "Patriarch")?

Offline KostaC

• Elder
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2015, 10:50:40 PM »
And i think patriarch Cyril should not meet the pope, as long as Rome supports this "Eastern Catholic" mission in Ukraine. 

So just to be sure I understand, is it not a problem that the Pope imposes on Eastern Catholics too much (and in the particular case of the UGCC, calls their head "Major Archbishop" and not "Patriarch")?

What the Pope says and does to people who follow him is his business. No Orthodox Christian can rescue you if you don't believe the same thing as us.

Why is this even an issue, whether the Pope calls Sviatoslav "Major Archbishop" or "Patriarch"? If he's Bishop of Bishpops ruling over bishops, wouldn't he automatically be right, Sviatoslav wrong, and shouldn't then the Kyivan Patriarchate call itself "the Kyivan Archbishopric"? Isn't that an example of disobedience?

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2015, 11:32:14 PM »

As my high school teacher always used to say when students would use that word as a general insult....

"Really? I didn't know that textbook was in a relationship with another textbook of the same sex!"
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:32:33 PM by Minnesotan »
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2015, 11:44:44 PM »

Actually, Serbian bishops were threatened by Serbian despot Stefan Lazarević to be killed if they go to Rome to attend Florence Council. Serbia back then had strictest laws against Latin heresy, forged in 1340s. So Serbian bishops were the only Orthodox Church that did not attend the Council of Florence if i am not wrong. It is our long and great tradition to hate the pope. Have problem with that? Wanna piece of me?
Are you really challenging me to fight over the internet? What are we going to do, trade pictures of people punching each other?
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2015, 11:48:16 PM »

You mean the same Stefan Lazarević who was a close ally of the (Roman Catholic) Hungarian ruler Sigisimund, and was part of the Order of the Dragon which Sigisimund founded and which had a primarily Roman Catholic membership? That Stefan Lazarević?
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »
I swear, is Mountain someone else? He reminds me of a few different people.

Offline Mountain

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2015, 06:33:42 AM »

Oh really? Then we are cool bro. Love the Pope and Uniates, love you guys! You so cool!

Offline FatherGiryus

• A terrible human being
  • Archon
  • Faith: Genuine New Calendar Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochianistic Eparchy
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2015, 08:12:05 AM »

No, no, no... he said fake AND gay.    :police:
http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb

Offline Mountain

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2015, 10:19:44 AM »

You mean the same Stefan Lazarević who was a close ally of the (Roman Catholic) Hungarian ruler Sigisimund, and was part of the Order of the Dragon which Sigisimund founded and which had a primarily Roman Catholic membership? That Stefan Lazarević?

That one. Interior politics were very anti-Latin since great saint Sava 1200s.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:20:24 AM by Mountain »

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2015, 10:22:19 AM »

That one. Interior politics were very anti-Latin since great saint Sava 1200s.

???

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »
Thread locked pending moderator review.

Mor Ephrem, section moderator
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Bartholomew, 270th Archbishop of Constantinople-New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch, is spiritual leader to 300 million Orthodox Christians throughout the world.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2015, 05:59:11 PM »
If that stupid meeting happens, i will convert to some zealot sect. And i don't see how this meeting can heal anything, is pope going to convert or something? Ecumenists are using some slow brainwashing methods with empty and stupid arguments.
This may come as a shock to you, but in most parts of the world, people are able meet people they disagree with without either killing them or converting to their religion.

This might come as shock to you, but the canons forbid the Orthodox bishops to meet with heterodox and God forbid to pray with them. So why is Patriarch Bartholomew still in communion with the Church? I would call these heterodox heretics, but for some reason this "Orthodox" forum forbids me to call anyone outside 7 Ecumenical Councils a heretic. That is why because this forum is heterodox. If i now start to teach something that is outside the 7 Ecumenical Councils, i am not just heterodox, i am a heretic, 7 Ecumenical Councils are forged to guide the faith forever, and not just for the first 800 years. They condemned all those who show up in future with new heretical teachings. And by the way, the so called 8th Ecumenical Council, the one in Constantinople in 880 condemned Filioque and papacy. So why are we behaving like idiots?
Americans were never able to grasp Orthodoxy seriously anyway. Orthodoxy is for them some interesting sect with pretty worship. I am not asking Orthodox to shoot non-Orthodox people on the site. I ask our bishops not to pray with them.
Patriarch of Moscow is doing just fine without meeting the pope.
When our bishops meet with the heterodox, they damage the dignity of the One Church. We should take Metropolitan Seraphim in the Greek Church as an example of how Orthodox bishop should behave.
None of you converted because patriarch Bartholomew met and prayed with the pope, you converted because you thought this is the One Church. If our ancestor bishops behaved like our bishops behave today, Orthodoxy would have been watered away long time ago. And it will be watered away if we believers or God Himself doesn't intervene.

I do not accuse Patriarch Bartholomew. I accuse all of us. Patriarch Bartholomew and others would be nothing if we all stopped obidience to such bishops, who is a bishop if no one listens to him? Nothing. Bishops are not dictators, they are allowed to be dictators only if they dictate justice through the canons. If they don't obey canons, then they are schismatics and psychopaths and should not be supported by any move of ours.

I have seen monophysite admins here... lol Just because monophysites grow beards that doesn't make them Orthodox.

Mountain,

In this thread, you have:

1.  Engaged in public criticism of moderation (above).
2.  Employed epithets such as "uniate" and "monophysite" outside the limited use allowed by the rules and as an ad hominem against specific forum members (above and reply no. 70).
3.  Threatened another forum member (reply no. 60). 

All of these are violations of forum rules. 

In light of this, and considering your past history, I am increasing your warning level to forty-five percent (45%).  In light of no. 3 above, I will also be recommending a more severe penalty. 

If you would like to appeal this decision, please PM me. 

Bartholomew, 270th Archbishop of Constantinople-New Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch, is spiritual leader to 300 million Orthodox Christians throughout the world.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2015, 06:06:52 PM »
Thread unlocked. 

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2015, 11:09:05 PM »

Oh really? Then we are cool bro. Love the Pope and Uni----, love you guys! You so cool!

Well, since I'm a Christian I shall endeavor to be charitable toward you. I noticed you didn't say yes or no -- which is fine, I don't know that I'd believe you if you did -- but I'll explain why I asked. (Not just for you but for anyone interested, e.g. KostaC.) I have many times heard complains, like yours about the pope supporting the EC "mission" ... and I have many times heard complains about the pope not giving ECs enough leeway. And both sets of complaints from Eastern Orthodox. All of which leads me to wonder if it's really possible for both sets of complaints to be valid.

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2015, 12:53:16 AM »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2015, 01:29:38 AM »

I dont oppose a meeting. I do not see the end to divide which the journalists do.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2015, 09:08:06 AM »

I dont oppose a meeting. I do not see the end to divide which the journalists do.

OIC. Then we agree on something ...

Still it would be nice if we could at least send them back to kindergarten. (And by "them" I mean those on either side who think "meeting with Pope" = "Patriarch coming into communion with Rome".)