Author Topic: ialmisry to be obsolete in 7 years  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
ialmisry to be obsolete in 7 years
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
21 Things That Will Be Obsolete by 2020
http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2011/03/21-things-that-will-be-obsolete-by-2020/

"6. DIFFERENTIATED INSTRUCTION AS A SIGN OF DISTINGUISHED TEACHER
The 21st century is customizable. In ten years, the teacher who hasn’t yet figured out how to use tech to personalize learning will be the teacher out of a job. Differentiation won’t make you ‘distinguished’; it’ll just be a natural part of your work."

LOL. Isa if you need me to get you up to speed from your current Apple IIc days just holla at me.

"2. LANGUAGE LABS
Foreign language acquisition is only a smartphone away. Get rid of those clunky desktops and monitors and do something fun with that room."

LOL, Isa doesn't know how to work a camera on his flip phone...how are you going to teach Arabic?!

"7. FEAR OF WIKIPEDIA
Wikipedia is the greatest democratizing force in the world right now. If you are afraid of letting your students peruse it, it’s time you get over yourself."

LOL!!

"13. ORGANIZATION OF EDUCATIONAL SERVICES BY GRADE
Education over the next ten years will become more individualized, leaving the bulk of grade-based learning in the past. Students will form peer groups by interest and these interest groups will petition for specialized learning. The structure of K-12 will be fundamentally altered."

It's about time.

"20. HIGH SCHOOL ALGEBRA 1
Within the decade, it will either become the norm to teach this course in middle school or we’ll have finally woken up to the fact that there’s no reason to give algebra weight over statistics and I.T. in high school for non-math majors (and they will have all taken it in middle school anyway)."

Interesting.

What this article seems to forget is how is literacy learned, I am not sure this technoutopia is going to be able to do it well.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: ialmisry to be obsolete in 7 years
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »
"2. LANGUAGE LABS
Foreign language acquisition is only a smartphone away. Get rid of those clunky desktops and monitors and do something fun with that room."

I wouldn't say a "smartphone away" but I would say a computer away. Lot's of content for learning languages.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:31:06 PM »
Computers will never replace person-to-person language learning, though they can facilitate it (e.g., Skype chatting or what have you). If Isa will become obsolete, it won't be because of the phone. :)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »
21 Things That Will Be Obsolete by 2020
http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2011/03/21-things-that-will-be-obsolete-by-2020/

"6. DIFFERENTIATED INSTRUCTION AS A SIGN OF DISTINGUISHED TEACHER
The 21st century is customizable. In ten years, the teacher who hasn’t yet figured out how to use tech to personalize learning will be the teacher out of a job. Differentiation won’t make you ‘distinguished’; it’ll just be a natural part of your work."

LOL. Isa if you need me to get you up to speed from your current Apple IIc days just holla at me.
I haven't used an Apple of any sort except sophmore year in college, and on my doctorate exams.
"2. LANGUAGE LABS

LOL, Isa doesn't know how to work a camera on his flip phone...how are you going to teach Arabic?!
I'd like to know if this person who wrote this has come up against Arabic-the ones training the soldiers in for Iraq said it was easier how to fly fighter jets.
"7. FEAR OF WIKIPEDIA
Wikipedia is the greatest democratizing force in the world right now. If you are afraid of letting your students peruse it, it’s time you get over yourself."

LOL!!
I'm not sure I'd use a bridge designed by someone dependent on Wikipedia.

The reason why I am not a democrat.  Or a Democrap.

"13. ORGANIZATION OF EDUCATIONAL SERVICES BY GRADE
Education over the next ten years will become more individualized, leaving the bulk of grade-based learning in the past. Students will form peer groups by interest and these interest groups will petition for specialized learning. The structure of K-12 will be fundamentally altered."

It's about time.
wonder what it will do to the teen pregnancy and STD rate.

"20. HIGH SCHOOL ALGEBRA 1
Within the decade, it will either become the norm to teach this course in middle school or we’ll have finally woken up to the fact that there’s no reason to give algebra weight over statistics and I.T. in high school for non-math majors (and they will have all taken it in middle school anyway)."

Interesting.
I rejoiced at not having to take math in college (I passed out enough).

What this article seems to forget is how is literacy learned, I am not sure this technoutopia is going to be able to do it well.
they'll text.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
LOL Isa please post more barbs on the rest of the stuff in the article.

"I rejoiced at not having to take math in college (I passed out enough)."

Weed or alcohol your choice in college?

"wonder what it will do to the teen pregnancy and STD rate."

Haha good point!
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 07:47:42 PM »
I've been around long enough to have seen that most pronouncements by "futurists", especially in the field of education, are crocks. Low-tech doesn't necessarily mean substandard. If anything, there are now multitudes of functional illiterates in my neck of the woods, the result of various flavors of educational faddism introduved over the past 40 years or so.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »
As long as there Catholics to argue with, and people in need of maps, ialmisry will never become obsolete.

EDIT--For some reason as I wrote this I had this song stuck in my head.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:03:06 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:57:29 PM »
As long as there Catholics to argue with, and people in need of maps, ialmisry will never become obsolete.

Don't forget Democrats to insult.  ;D
God bless!

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 10:38:52 PM »

Nonsense.  Ialmisry will never become obsolete.

No one person is dependent on only one thing, or area of life.

I am certain Isa is much more dynamic and robust, than he appears on this site, which is already quite awesome.  ;)

Humans don't become obsolete.  We morph, adapt and change, in order to fight on another day.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 10:43:18 PM »

As a flaming liberal myself, I try to ignore or forget those parts of his posts  8)

Offline Andrew Crook

• formerly known as AveChriste11
  • High Elder
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »

As a flaming liberal myself, I try to ignore or forget those parts of his posts  8)

Me too buddy, me too
Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 02:03:21 AM »
Ialmisry on trial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c_YVXXe4W8

(Actually I would highly recommend the entire episode, it has a very christian ending ;)
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »

Me too buddy, me too

Lol !

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »

Nonsense.  Ialmisry will never become obsolete.

No one person is dependent on only one thing, or area of life.

I am certain Isa is much more dynamic and robust, than he appears on this site, which is already quite awesome.  ;)

Humans don't become obsolete.  We morph, adapt and change, in order to fight on another day.

?

I was just poking fun at Isa. Not really a serious thread.

– St. Ambrose of Milan