OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:36:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The possibility of married priests / "Catholic priests may be allowed to marry amid Papal changes"  (Read 819 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« on: September 12, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »

The Vatican has opened the door to the possibility of married priests, a move that would go against an established Church tradition.

Archbishop Pietro Parolin, who will be the No. 2 in the Roman Catholic church when be becomes secretary of state next month, declared that priestly vow of celibacy derived from an age-old rule but was not Catholic dogma.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/faith/article3866516.ece
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:52:43 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:55:09 AM »

More non-news masquerading as news, I think.  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »

Interesting that they come up with this topic at this time.  What do you think the reasons are.....?
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:14:08 PM »

I am more concerned that the picture accompanying the non-story makes it look like Pope Francis is about to eat a baby.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »

I am more concerned that the picture accompanying the non-story makes it look like Pope Francis is about to eat a baby.

Shocked Is he really an atheist?

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »

It could be argued, though I won't.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 02:20:43 PM »

Interesting that they come up with this topic at this time.  What do you think the reasons are.....?

I think Gebre said it in another thread: basically, they're trying to make the Pope in their own image and likeness.  If the media can report fantastic stuff and it catches on, maybe they can drive the Church's agenda the way they are driving a lot of the national politics. 

If you read RC sources, the only thing the prelate said was that priestly celibacy was discipline and not doctrine, and as such could be changed (a no-brainer).  If that comment, probably made to clarify the issue for the clueless media, constitutes "opening a door" to the possibility of married priests, that says more about the depth of the journalists' stupidity than it does about the RC's: that door has been open just about forever. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Jovan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:33:05 PM »

How about that my dear brothers and sister, if this comes from the Vatican. How much more certain cannot we be over the orthodox church, which solved the issue ages ago. Pray for me please.

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 03:19:39 AM »

I think they should stick with their celibate tradition... oh Father Arsenie would scold me for saying that...

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 10:02:01 AM »

How about that my dear brothers and sister, if this comes from the Vatican. How much more certain cannot we be over the orthodox church, which solved the issue ages ago. Pray for me please.

Several thoughts are going through my head about this.  First, I agree that the RC tradition should stand for the most part.  The RCC has accepted on many occasions Married clergy from the Anglican, Episcopal, and Lutheran communions complete with families.   Some have been accepted into the RC priesthood and are serving in various ways.  Some are in administrative roles and some even have small parishes.  As, to whether or not a married clergy in the RCC would pose a problem lets say pertaining to survivor rights if the priest should happen to die how would the RCC handle this?

Secondly, a celibate priesthood is easier to handle administratively.   He can be moved from parish to parish at will without too much impact.
I don't think that the pedophilia problem has any linkage whatsoever. A married priesthood would not cure this problem. This is a screening problem that should be enhanced prior to ordination.   

As an Orthodox Christian, a married priesthood is quite the norm and we don't really think too much about it.  But for the RCC it may be quite a leap in
small T tradition to allow men to marry before ordination.  What is right for the Orthodox may not be right for the RCC.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »

Pretty much.  Smiley  Smiley  Still I'd rather read that than a bunch of glowing praise for the celibate priesthood from Catholics who are not celibate themselves.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Jovan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »

As an Orthodox Christian, a married priesthood is quite the norm and we don't really think too much about it.  But for the RCC it may be quite a leap in
small T tradition to allow men to marry before ordination.  What is right for the Orthodox may not be right for the RCC.

I would rather see the question in:
If the Orthodox and Catholic church was once united, what was the position of the early church regarding a married priesthood? I don´t hope that this norm is adjustable depending on different situations surrounding a priest, and your comments suggested that.

Either, as the Vatican seems to conclude now, men can marry before ordination, or not, but it can´t be both. I think many people would and will get disappointed on the Catholic church for settling this issue hundreds over years too late. Church needs to stand for clarity, not variety, even if it is the Orthodox or the Catholic. 

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 09:50:29 AM »

I would allow both Eastern and Western rite Catholic priests to marry before ordination. In the Orthodox Church, Eastern and Western rites both follow the same canonical laws. So, introducing consistency by allowing priests to marry before ordination should be allowed.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »

I would allow both Eastern and Western rite Catholic priests to marry before ordination. In the Orthodox Church, Eastern and Western rites both follow the same canonical laws. So, introducing consistency by allowing priests to marry before ordination should be allowed.

I think so too.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 10:19:31 AM »

One of the Pontifical ("Ecumenical") councils of the Roman Church decreed that clergy must be celibate. The early Church clearly taught otherwise and the Orthodox teach otherwise.

The Epistles of St. Paul to Timothy have an ecclesiological aspect to them that is worth studying. I should give them a reread.

"[The Lord] shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3)
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »

Several thoughts are going through my head about this.  First, I agree that the RC tradition should stand for the most part.  The RCC has accepted on many occasions Married clergy from the Anglican, Episcopal, and Lutheran communions complete with families.   Some have been accepted into the RC priesthood and are serving in various ways. 

To me, the problem is consistency.  Why are those priests received from Anglican and Lutheran traditions allowed to keep their marriage (granted, they're not coming over, being ordained, and THEN getting married) as well as Byzantine Rite Catholic Priests allowed to marry prior to ordination (correct me if I'm wrong on this), but not the Latin Rite?  Administratively, it makes sense to have one policy, but this is the CHurch not some business. 

Of course, the Vatican could always tell those priests of Lutheran and ANglican origin that they are welcome to come over but must either 1) agree to live with their wives as sisters (sorry about the weird phrasing) or 2) cannot become priests and be laicizied.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »

Of course, the Vatican could always tell those priests of Lutheran and ANglican origin that they are welcome to come over but must either 1) agree to live with their wives as sisters (sorry about the weird phrasing) or 2) cannot become priests and be laicizied.

But then they might not submit themselves to Rome. 

It may sound rude to say so, but I don't think this can be legitimately discounted.  You can do with your own what you want (which is why the Roman Church and the Eastern Catholics have such a variety of practices in this regard), but if you're trying to attract someone from the outside, you better have a really nice carrot to dangle before them.  Once they're yours, "you can do with your own what you want".   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »

Several thoughts are going through my head about this.  First, I agree that the RC tradition should stand for the most part.  The RCC has accepted on many occasions Married clergy from the Anglican, Episcopal, and Lutheran communions complete with families.   Some have been accepted into the RC priesthood and are serving in various ways.  

To me, the problem is consistency.  Why are those priests received from Anglican and Lutheran traditions allowed to keep their marriage (granted, they're not coming over, being ordained, and THEN getting married) as well as Byzantine Rite Catholic Priests allowed to marry prior to ordination (correct me if I'm wrong on this), but not the Latin Rite?  Administratively, it makes sense to have one policy, but this is the CHurch not some business.  

It is indeed quite ironic, given the many Roman Catholic polemicists and apologists here who routinely deride the Orthodox for our use of "economia" as if it were a sign of moral weakness. I often wonder, in less serious moments, if the good Lord finds us to be humorous from time to time.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:02:27 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »

I think so too.

I wouldn't complain if that happened, but I would be surprised.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: