OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 06:39:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visitation of Bishop to Canadian Bylorussian Parish  (Read 901 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« on: September 12, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »

His Grace Bishop Gregory, ACROD,  visited St. Euphrosynia Bylorussian Orthodox Church in Toronto this week to preside over Vespers. Photos:   http://acrod.org/multimedia/photos/?setID=72157635487120866
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 08:23:08 AM »

Good.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:26:32 AM »

Good.
I only visited this church once years ago when I was a student at the University of Toronto.   The parishoners were very old & very few but I was warmly welcomed & the choir was quite good.  I was hoping to buy an icon of St.  Euphrozinia but they didn't have any.  No doubt the parish has increased in size with immigration of the 4th wave. 
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:40:29 AM »

Perhaps Michal could answer this: I noted on the ACROD webpage the spelling of 'Bylorussian', others use 'Belorussian' or other phonetic variants. Is there a preferable usage? Thanks!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »

Perhaps Michal could answer this: I noted on the ACROD webpage the spelling of 'Bylorussian', others use 'Belorussian' or other phonetic variants. Is there a preferable usage? Thanks!

Are you asking a non-native English speaker?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »

Good.
I only visited this church once years ago when I was a student at the University of Toronto.   The parishoners were very old & very few but I was warmly welcomed & the choir was quite good.  I was hoping to buy an icon of St.  Euphrozinia but they didn't have any.  No doubt the parish has increased in size with immigration of the 4th wave.  
It has evidently in the parish in Chicago, which matches your description (except that although old, there were a lot of them).

Is the EP's Belorus under ACROD, or is ACROD just filling in?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:57:27 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »

[
I only visited this church once years ago when I was a student at the University of Toronto.   The parishoners were very old & very few but I was warmly welcomed & the choir was quite good.  I was hoping to buy an icon of St.  Euphrozinia but they didn't have any.  No doubt the parish has increased in size with immigration of the 4th wave.  
[/quote]
[/quote]

When I visited it they were clear that they were a canonical church under the EP.  They did not have their own bishop at that time and in the past had friendly relations with Metr. Andrii Kruschak's Church (Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America) also under the EP.  Also they did not have friendly relations with Bishop Mikaly of St. Cyril of Turov Byelorussian Autocephalous Orthodox Church (a larger & more active parish) a few blocks away) in Toronto.  I have never heard of any connection at all with ACROD.
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »

Good.
It has evidently in the parish in Chicago, which matches your description (except that although old, there were a lot of them).

I think our Bishop was assigned oversight some years back of the several Belarus parishes which were under the EP' s omophor in North America, but they were not legally included in ACROD in terms of having a stake in Sobors, etc... 
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »

Two texts about Chicago parish:
http://nn.by/?c=ar&i=115897#!nn
http://www.przegladprawoslawny.pl/articles.php?id_n=1147&id=8

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 03:14:31 PM »

Thanks, very interesting reading.  I think this site give the more accurate detail:

Some similarieties with ACROD in the fact that there were converts from the Eastern-Catholic Church and the connection with the EP is choice of which jurisdiction to belong to.   The sidebar about the Don Cossaks & the inconostatis is interesting too.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 03:34:39 PM »

Thanks, very interesting reading.  I think this site give the more accurate detail:

Some similarieties with ACROD in the fact that there were converts from the Eastern-Catholic Church and the connection with the EP is choice of which jurisdiction to belong to.   The sidebar about the Don Cossaks & the inconostatis is interesting too.

Yes, the latter text is messed a bit but the comments rectify some mistakes.

That parish is under ACROD.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:36:25 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:37:26 AM »

Apparently in addition to 4 ACROD Belarusian parishes (Richmond Hill, South River, Chicago, and Toronto) there is one under UOC-USA in Cleveland.

And one under Thyatiera however that is spelled.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:02:19 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »

http://www.stephrasinia.ca/
Apparently they have a website. Apparently in Russian.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: Belarus 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: