Author Topic: 4000 Year Old Tablet Found Instructing of Building an Ark for the Flood  (Read 694 times)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
IT'S a few notches on a 4000-year-old clay tablet. But what it reveals about the ancient biblical story of Noah's ark has scholars crowing the world over.

The British Museum yesterday put the recently deciphered clay tablet from ancient Mesopotamia - now Iraq - on display.
It's claimed to be one of the most important archaeological discoveries ever.

What it contains are specifications for the legendary Ark which was said to have saved two of each animal - and a handful of humans - from a catastrophic flood.

But some of the details are different to the generally known version.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/a-4000yearold-tablet-from-ancient-mesopotamia-contains-the-specifications-for-an-ark-predating-the-story-of-noah/story-fnjwl1aw-1226810293590

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Bulgaria
Re: 4000 Year Old Tablet Found Instructing of Building an Ark for the Flood
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:08:18 PM »
"A Forgery" was my first thought.

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:15:19 PM »
If it's not a forgery, then that's interesting.

But the comments about how Christians will react to this etc. just make no sense by this point. Haven't there already been at least a couple flood accounts that pre-date the Biblical account?

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »

But the comments about how Christians will react to this etc. just make no sense by this point. Haven't there already been at least a couple flood accounts that pre-date the Biblical account?
Exactly. It's not like the story of a man who builds a big boat to escape a large flood is unique to ancient Hebrew culture. Even the Ojibwe have one.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:31:43 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 03:40:12 PM »
What's unique is that it's more "round" than depicted in the Bible...for all we know this could be Gilgamesh's Ark :P
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 03:46:05 PM »
If it's really from 2000 BC, then it beats the second oldest account by several hundred years (depending on your short/long dating preference):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziusudra

In any case, the flood myth is certainly not of Babylonian origin. Scholarly consensus places its origin earlier than the Amorite (founders of the Old Babylonians) migration into mesopotamia.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:51:03 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 03:51:07 PM »

Exactly. It's not like the story of a man who builds a big boat to escape a large flood is unique to ancient Hebrew culture. Even the Ojibwe have one.

The Maya also had a world-flood story, but I can't remember if it included an ark or not.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 03:54:08 PM »

I am as anti-parallel-o-mania as they come.

Nevertheless, we have to acknowledge that the specific similarities between the Mesopotamian and biblical stories exceed what we'd expect to find if they were just unrelated convergent accounts.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:54:50 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »
Here's another article on the same:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/25/noahs-ark-round-_n_4664876.html?utm_hp_ref=religion

It's also the subject of a new book, "The Ark Before Noah," by Irving Finkel, the museum's assistant keeper of the Middle East and the man who translated the tablet.

Other experts said Finkel wasn't simply indulging in book-promotion hype. David Owen, professor of ancient Near Eastern studies at Cornell University, said the British Museum curator had made "an extraordinary discovery."

The tablet records a Mesopotamian god's instructions for building a giant vessel — two-thirds the size of a soccer field in area — made of rope, reinforced with wooden ribs and coated in bitumen.

Offline Agabus

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 04:12:59 PM »

I am as anti-parallel-o-mania as they come.

Nevertheless, we have to acknowledge that the specific similarities between the Mesopotamian and biblical stories exceed what we'd expect to find if they were just unrelated convergent accounts.
Eh -- both were set in Mesopotamia. Maybe they were inspired by whatever you would call the ANE oral version of Q?

I mentioned the Indians above, but my first instinct is to cringe when I hear a Christian apologist appeal to the various cultural flood myths as proof it happened.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline Agabus

• Archon
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »
What's unique is that it's more "round" than depicted in the Bible...for all we know this could be Gilgamesh's Ark :P
Gilgamesh's Coracle, thank you.

Maybe that solves the mystery of what the heck Gopher wood is, anyway.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
Even the Ojibwe have one.

I have no idea what this means, but I am sure it is hilarious. Even the Ojibwe?
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Cognomen

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
  • Ungrateful Biped
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »

Ojibwe are a Native American people, primarily from Canada and the Upper Midwest of the US.  Their flood story, however, may be hilarious.
North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).

Offline Agabus

• Archon
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 06:01:02 PM »

They are an American Indian group predominately located around the great northern lakes.

Their flood myth is not exactly parallel to Gilgamesh, but as I alluded earlier I have heard fundamentalists list it as one of the reasons why we can believe in a worldwide flood survived by Noah and Sons, Boatbuilders, Inc. If even these peoples who did not live in the ANE know about the flood, it must be true.

According to the Ojibway creation story the Original Man's first responsibility after he was placed on Earth was to follow the Creator's instructions and walk the Earth and name all of the animals, plants, hills, and valleys. He also named the parts of the body.
[...]
Traditional people call North America "turtle island" because it is shaped like a turtle (Florida is one hind leg, Baja California is another, Mexico is the tail). In the Ojibway Story of the Great Flood the turtle offered its back to Waynaboozhoo to bear the weight of the new earth. The new earth was formed from a piece of earth recovered by muskrat from the bottom of the water which covered the world.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51:11 AM »
"Etched in the clay is one of the story's key elements: It describes how the animals must enter "two by two"."

This contradicts Genesis 7 (deriving from the "J Source"), where only the 'unclean' animals enter two by two. The 'clean' animals and the birds enter fourteen by fourteen. Thus, when the J-Source author has Noah sacrifice some clean animals after the Flood subsides, Noah doesn't cause those animals to become extinct.

Of course, the clay tablet is consistent with Genesis 6 (deriving from the "P Source"), where all animals enter two by two. The P-Source author does not depict Noah as sacrificing any animals, so 1 pair of each animal is enough -- no need for 7 pairs each.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:54:52 AM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Protokentarchos
  • St. John the Merciful
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 09:53:11 AM »
Meow, meow, meow.

It's just another strange Mesopotamian historical find, is it not?  8)
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (4/6/2015)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

قدوس لله قدوس القوي قدوس الذي لا يموت ارحمنا

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »

They are an American Indian group predominately located around the great northern lakes.

Their flood myth is not exactly parallel to Gilgamesh, but as I alluded earlier I have heard fundamentalists list it as one of the reasons why we can believe in a worldwide flood survived by Noah and Sons, Boatbuilders, Inc. If even these peoples who did not live in the ANE know about the flood, it must be true.

According to the Ojibway creation story the Original Man's first responsibility after he was placed on Earth was to follow the Creator's instructions and walk the Earth and name all of the animals, plants, hills, and valleys. He also named the parts of the body.
[...]
Traditional people call North America "turtle island" because it is shaped like a turtle (Florida is one hind leg, Baja California is another, Mexico is the tail). In the Ojibway Story of the Great Flood the turtle offered its back to Waynaboozhoo to bear the weight of the new earth. The new earth was formed from a piece of earth recovered by muskrat from the bottom of the water which covered the world.

I'd be interested to know how the Ojibwe or other "traditional people" knew what the entire North American continent looked like on a map. Special revelation?

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Protokentarchos
  • St. John the Merciful
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »

[...]

I think it's stretching it to compare it to Gilgamesh. Frankly, Gilgamesh's tale isn't centered on the flood as much as Noah's tale is, and it isn't as descriptive.

That's so funny how Fundamentalists do that. Regional flooding in Mesopotamia was quite common, and I think, is a more reasonable interpretation of the events in Genesis.

Fundamentalism is just wacky.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (4/6/2015)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

قدوس لله قدوس القوي قدوس الذي لا يموت ارحمنا

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »
"Etched in the clay is one of the story's key elements: It describes how the animals must enter "two by two"."

This contradicts Genesis 7 (deriving from the "J Source"), where only the 'unclean' animals enter two by two. The 'clean' animals and the birds enter fourteen by fourteen. Thus, when the J-Source author has Noah sacrifice some clean animals after the Flood subsides, Noah doesn't cause those animals to become extinct.

Of course, the clay tablet is consistent with Genesis 6 (deriving from the "P Source"), where all animals enter two by two. The P-Source author does not depict Noah as sacrificing any animals, so 1 pair of each animal is enough -- no need for 7 pairs each.

Wouldn't having the animals enter two by two result in a lot of inbreeding?
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »

Here you are: Tablet 11 of The Epic of Gilgamesh in which the hero hears of how Utnapishtim was told to make a boat because a flood was coming

http://king-of-heroes.co.uk/the-epic-of-gilgamesh/reginald-campbell-thompson-translation/the-flood/

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »

Which shouldn't phase Christians at all since the multiple stories from multiple cultures back up the flood story.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »

I mentioned the Indians above, but my first instinct is to cringe when I hear a Christian apologist appeal to the various cultural flood myths as proof it happened.

Why?
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 12:31:05 PM »

Wouldn't having the animals enter two by two result in a lot of inbreeding?
Not if the flooding were merely local.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.