Author Topic: Coptic Church opens in Michigan  (Read 305 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
Coptic Church opens in Michigan
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »
http://www.freep.com/article/20140125/NEWS05/301250015/Egyptian-Coptic-church-detroit

A new Coptic Orthodox parish in Detroit, Michigan, will hold its first liturgy today.

From the article:
The Holy Cross Coptic Orthodox Church will be on the second floor of a building at the St. Andrew House Center for Orthodox Christian Studies in Detroit near I-96 and Telegraph Road. It’s intended to attract Egyptian Orthodox Christians from western Wayne County and the Ann Arbor area.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
Re: Coptic Church opens in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:49:28 PM »
http://www.freep.com/article/20140125/NEWS05/301250015/Egyptian-Coptic-church-detroit

A new Coptic Orthodox parish in Detroit, Michigan, will hold its first liturgy today.

From the article:
The Holy Cross Coptic Orthodox Church will be on the second floor of a building at the St. Andrew House Center for Orthodox Christian Studies in Detroit near I-96 and Telegraph Road. It’s intended to attract Egyptian Orthodox Christians from western Wayne County and the Ann Arbor area.

Nkice article, but a typical Gannett corporate newspaper. Apparently, they didn't get the news that Archbishop Nathaniel was no longer the OCA's acting head. It's only been what - six months or so? We have a Gannett paper here, it is awful.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »

From the article:

Nkice article, but a typical Gannett corporate newspaper. Apparently, they didn't get the news that Archbishop Nathaniel was no longer the OCA's acting head. It's only been what - six months or so? We have a Gannett paper here, it is awful.

Gannett papers tend to have a few heavy hitters and burn through lower level reporters pretty quickly (though in fairness, that's most newsrooms these days). I am willing to bet that the reporter in question was told by the Copts that Nathaniel was the head of the OCA and just repeated it. Not saying it's acceptable, but when you're writing with a "digital first" deadline mentality, you might cut a few corners.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 05:28:30 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »

From the article:

Gannett papers tend to have a few heavy hitters and burn through lower level reporters pretty quickly (though in fairness, that's most newsrooms these days). I am willing to bet that the reporter in question was told by the Copts that Nathaniel was the head of the OCA and just repeated it. Not saying it's acceptable, but when you're writing with a "digital first" deadline mentality, you might cut a few corners.

What's said is that in mid sized markets which used to have community owned papers which sold out to Gannett, there used to be a collective community memory within the paper. Nowadays, no such memory exists so that no one reports on the passing of a long time community figure, no one remembers the prior political dispute over the same issue twenty years ago, crime reporting is simplistic and so on. Ours still has two good education writers, but that is it.

Offline Severian

• Drifter
  • Protokentarchos
  • Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth
    • St. Jacob Baradeus' Orthodox Christian Fellowship
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodoxy
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 10:25:40 PM »
Glory to God!
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" -Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Offline kijabeboy03

• High Elder
  • "The glory of God is in man fully alive."
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:26:19 PM »

From the article:

Man, such an inaccurate article :-). Glad to hear of another Coptic Orthodox church in metro Detroit! And a relatively new Ethiopian Orthodox parish in Lansing too. Thank God :-).
"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~