OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 02:51:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faith  (Read 510 times) Average Rating: 0
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« on: September 12, 2013, 02:52:58 AM »

What is faith? What does it mean to believe to you? What is faith to you? How is your faith? Why do you think faith is so important?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:59:13 AM »

Because human reason, knowledge, and intellect can only go so far. We do not, and cannot, have "all the answers".
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:43:11 AM »

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

It is important because without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

Book of Hebrews FTW

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Greece

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »

What is faith? Faith is to believe to the only truth.
What does it mean to believe to you? One of the three basics for a Chirstian, to believe.
What is faith to you?  Faith is one of the three bases of the whole world.
How is your faith?  Faith si the truth and of the best.
Why do you think faith is so important? Because you abse your life on it.

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »

It is important because without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

Book of Hebrews FTW

I already knew what the author of the book of Hebrews says about faith(He doesn't go into details though). I am asking you. What is it to you?
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »

What is faith? Faith is to believe to the only truth.
What does it mean to believe to you? One of the three basics for a Chirstian, to believe.
What is faith to you?  Faith is one of the three bases of the whole world.
How is your faith?  Faith si the truth and of the best.
Why do you think faith is so important? Because you abse your life on it.

Develop please.
Martyr Eugenia

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:27:57 PM »

"Faith is an eye that enlightens every conscience, and imparts understanding; for the Prophet saith, And if ye believe not, ye shall not understand.

Faith stoppeth the mouths of lions, as in Daniel’s case:  for the Scripture saith concerning him, that Daniel was brought up out of the den, and no manner of hurt was found upon him, because he believed in his God.  Is there anything more fearful than the devil?  Yet even against him we have no other shield than faith." St. Cyril on Faith

I have faith in God because as a child I was baptized and taught that the Bible is His word. I was taught to pray to God and He answered my prayers. My parents started me on this journey and then stopped the process. But the spark was there, it grew despite not being tended. If you have that spark, do not let anyone blot it out. Ask God and He will give it to you, really.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:30:02 PM by Martyr Eugenia » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »

Book of Hebrews FTW

I already knew what the author of the book of Hebrews says about faith(He doesn't go into details though). I am asking you. What is it to you?
Actually, I though it is an excellent explanation of faith.  I don't know what else you need to know beyond that.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 10:00:24 PM »

Random notes, some of which are redundant at this point...

- The height or center of the Christian life (with apologies to St. Paul), not so much as playing a part in the acquisition of knowledge, and certainly not (hopefully) to be used as a tool to explain away difficulties, but rather as a context for understanding the whole of the Christian life in reason and experience.

- Strengthens, sustains, and promotes understanding and the acquisition of knowledge, and provides a context for the beginning, middle and end of the process of discovery

- Intertwined with mystery on some level, and grounded in a humility about our ignorance and fallibility, yet acts as a backbone of how we go about our lives in the world, and afterwards

- Energizes search as we begin to contemplate theology and life, helps set a trajectory to go in (or, shines a light on a path), promotes moderation of expectations

- Faith gives meaning and purpose to reason and a context to conclusions to fit into; it provides a wider context in which to understand life and beyond; provides a way of connecting the dots (facts, experiences, beliefs) into a coherent picture

- Has an ongoing role in keeping people grounded and stable, acts as a touchstone or foundation stone

- Should not be relied upon as a crutch, an excuse, or to allow blind obedience, but at the same time it provides stability when we need help, do not understand, or are having difficulties

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 10:36:47 PM »

One other thought: the three things usually considered are faith, reason, and experience. Well, sometimes experience isn't mentioned, but that is generally in cases in which needless tension between faith and reason is the topic. Anyway, it's interesting that all three have both immediate and long-term roles or types. Faith can be something that happens or has a part in a single moment, yet it is also larger or other things. I can speak of "my faith in God" and "my Christian faith," but these have two completely different meanings. One might be associated, to simplify, with a very personal and internal approach or intuition or whatever you want to call it, while the other speaks of a web of beliefs or scheme for understanding them or whatever. When I spoke of faith providing a context I was speaking of both: my faith IN something, and also my faith AS something. The same could be said for reason and experience, how they speak both of immediate things, and also in a different sense of more long term or larger things. Thus it is not just about how faith and reason and experience work together, but how multiple roles/approaches of faith, reason, and experience work together.

lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 04:24:57 AM »

In another forum I've seen a response of a Jew that was something like this : God does not tell to the Jew "believe" but "know" . And if we look at the OT that is what is being said : "So that they know that I am the Lord..." "Learn and know.." "My people is perishing from lack of knowledge" , etc. What do you think about that?
Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »

Faith is true belief. Even if we believe something or not it still is.

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »

As a component of faith we can say we know something, when what we actually mean is something more along the lines of "I completely believe (in) this." Now if people think they actually know something in the fullest sense, about anything, at any time, they're deluded.

lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 03:54:06 AM »

Is there such thing as good faith and bad faith(I don't mean this in the dogmatic way but in life circumstances). What is the difference between the two. How do we know what is good faith and what is bad faith? What are the characteristics of good faith? I often see those who are trying to be humble or something saying I cannot do this, or I will not do it or I will not have it done. And than I also see people who are full of ego and certainty saying I can do this, I will do this, I can do anything and they achieve. How do you explain this.

@Asterikos do you think there is a difference between faith and knowledge?
Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 06:39:03 AM »

There is no godo and abd faith. There is faith in yourself and faith in God. If you have faith in yourself you say with certain that you will do that or this etc.
If you have fauith in God you say that I wil ltry to do thsi but if I achieve it it is only with the power of God as we have no power to do good.

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: