OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope Francis assurs sceptics you dont have to believe in God to go to heaven  (Read 2145 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« on: September 11, 2013, 11:42:40 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-assures-sceptics-you-dont-have-to-believe-in-god-to-go-to-heaven-8810062.html

My question is: If this is can be taken more than two ways, who the heck is writing his material?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:43:42 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:46:03 PM »

I hope that there is a different side to this story.  Telling those who have no faith in God that they can make it to heaven by just following their conscience sounds excessively dangerous.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:49:51 PM »

Not sure of the context of the quotes here, but considering how the writer of the story took the quote from the last paragraph out of context, I'm skeptical as to their reporting...

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:10:34 AM »

Not sure of the context of the quotes here, but considering how the writer of the story took the quote from the last paragraph out of context, I'm skeptical as to their reporting...

I agree

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:29:11 AM »

The media is desperate to cultivate a "liberal" Pope. These poor Popes are always being pigeonholed politically. I suspect Pope Francis understands that people with political agendas will always try to parse his words to suit their own ends. But he will keep promoting the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church either way. I'm no fan of the Papacy, but I am becoming a fan of Pope Francis. May God guide and protect him.

Selam
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:29:38 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:38:19 AM »

I feel in my heart that the remarks if true have merit in the sense that we are not the judges, and so it is only God who matters.

Too often people are quick to judge and the effects leads to more suffering, Jesus said to do good to those who hate us.What he is saying is based on Gospels such as,
 Luke 6
Love for Enemies

27“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

And if we did these things instead of accusing them of heresy and worse we all would be better off.

God will decide who should be forgiven.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:41:35 AM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:47:53 AM »

One shouldn't really trust into anything what media writes about the RCC. It's mostly grossly misinterpreted.

That said, I miss pope Benedict.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:49:45 AM by Alpo » Logged

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:10:55 AM »

One shouldn't really trust into anything what media writes about the RCC. It's mostly grossly misinterpreted.

I do, too.  Benedict XVI was a theological thinker of the highest order not some wishy-washy hack who almost always appears as if he tries so desperately to have everyone like him.  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:11:28 AM by scamandrius » Logged

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 12:22:19 PM »

I do, too.  Benedict XVI was a theological thinker of the highest order not some wishy-washy hack who almost always appears as if he tries so desperately to have everyone like him.  

Beginning to agree.  If the Pope did indeed say what is reported, we may be looking at the Antichrist (who will be loved by all - at first).

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »

Yeah and all that thinking did nothing with the sex abuses.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »

Beginning to agree.  If the Pope did indeed say what is reported, we may be looking at the Antichrist (who will be loved by all - at first).
Wow. That's an original thought.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »

Cheesy Pope Francis is as orthodox as they come. A worthy Shepard. Its not his fault the media twist his words like the time the media claimed he said atheists have salvation when he actually said atheists are redeemed.

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 01:28:53 PM »

Cheesy Pope Francis is as orthodox as they come.

Funny. I've never seen him at liturgy, and if he were to show up, he could not commune.

Its not his fault the media twist his words like the time the media claimed he said atheists have salvation when he actually said atheists are redeemed.

Reminds me of Matthew 5:37, about letting your yes be yes and your no be no. Such plain-speaking (as other Roman Popes have been known for, much to your church's credit) would do wonders to correct situations like this. As it is, I think Pope Francis, while well-meaning, is a good example of the tendency shown by the RCC in some contexts to say things that don't need to be said, for appearance's sake. This is a detestable trait in an organization (or the leader of said organization) which claims to proclaim the fullness of the Truth (Christ) to all the world.

Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 02:46:21 PM »

Funny. I've never seen him at liturgy, and if he were to show up, he could not commune.

Yeah that's because he's orthodox... Not Orthodox  Grin

Its not his fault the media twist his words like the time the media claimed he said atheists have salvation when he actually said atheists are redeemed.

Reminds me of Matthew 5:37, about letting your yes be yes and your no be no. Such plain-speaking (as other Roman Popes have been known for, much to your church's credit) would do wonders to correct situations like this. As it is, I think Pope Francis, while well-meaning, is a good example of the tendency shown by the RCC in some contexts to say things that don't need to be said, for appearance's sake. This is a detestable trait in an organization (or the leader of said organization) which claims to proclaim the fullness of the Truth (Christ) to all the world.

But if anything Pope Francis is own of the dew modern popes who speak in plain terms. Its not his fault the media intentionally twist what he says even when it is pretty straight forward. Redemption and salvation are two different things. He said atheists are redeemed. How much more straight toward can you be?

Alas! The media go on , in spite of a such plain self explanatory statement, and say "The pope says atheists are SAVED" ... facepalm... I guess Satan is desperate.

in what Francis said, he proclaimed a truth and one of the most essential truths of the Catholic religion.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:48:35 PM by Wandile » Logged

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 02:58:22 PM »

Redemption and salvation are two different things. He said atheists are redeemed. How much more straight toward can you be?

Journalists generally aren't brilliant theologians.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 04:09:29 PM »

Well yes if we defince "orthodox" by "holding this or that set of abstract doctrines".

Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 05:16:26 PM »

Redemption and salvation are two different things. He said atheists are redeemed. How much more straight toward can you be?

And yet this is basic theology, no brilliance needed. Just a simple google search will explain the difference. Yet the media aren't bothered by it. They are more concerned with what sells. So sometimes as the case was here, they deliberately misrepresent what Pope Francis taught as this was more controversial and would sell better.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »

Expecting the media to get their facts right is a stretch to far, after all as the saying goes, why let the facts get in the way of a good story.

I suppose they'll be putting a spin on his acquisition of an old Renault 4.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »

And the disciples that the Lord himself chose were not "theologians", in fact those were the guys who being experts , rejected Christ because of their knowledge of scriptures.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 07:51:30 PM »

I think he phrases things like that on purpose to force people to question and think about what he actually said and how it could be interpreted.

Just my opinion. I don't think it's a bad thing.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »

I think he phrases things like that on purpose to force people to question and think about what he actually said and how it could be interpreted.

Just my opinion. I don't think it's a bad thing.

I lean that way too.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 09:03:54 PM »

If the Pope did indeed say what is reported, we may be looking at the Antichrist (who will be loved by all - at first).

He's NOT the Antichrist. He's just a very naughty boy!  Tongue
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:04:32 PM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 09:06:13 PM »

And the disciples that the Lord himself chose were not "theologians", in fact those were the guys who being experts , rejected Christ because of their knowledge of scriptures.

The original apostles were not theologians?  Balderdash!   We accept the term theologian as one who submits himself to God in prayer at all times, then the apostles all fit that category.  I know we use the term "theologian" as one who parses theistic dicta and comes up with brilliant formulations, but even that was a later gifting thanks to Pentecost.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 09:16:06 PM »

I love the pope.

Peace.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »

I'm pretty sure that St. John the Theologian could be considered a "theologian". Hence, the title.  Wink

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »

I'm pretty sure that St. John the Theologian could be considered a "theologian". Hence, the title.  Wink

Don't get snarky with me.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »

Huh?  I didn't respond to you.  Huh

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 01:10:42 AM »

I miss Pope Benedict as well, but I like this Pope too.  He throws me for a loop often, but I like him. 

Here is an English translation of the letter of Pope Francis referred to in the article in the OP.  Hardly the words of a wishy-washy hack, IMO. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 03:15:50 AM »

Probably his lunch order translated by a journalist who doesn't speak Italian

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 08:34:10 AM »

Huh?  I didn't respond to you.  Huh

Don't get snarky with me, either. Tongue Grin Cheesy

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 09:14:22 AM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-assures-sceptics-you-dont-have-to-believe-in-god-to-go-to-heaven-8810062.html

My question is: If this is can be taken more than two ways, who the heck is writing his material?

I guess my original point was that if the Vatican puts out a blurb to the media it should be simple and well thought out where there would be no question as to the point of the subject at hand ESPECIALLY a topic of this nature.  Or, maybe they intentionally put out stuff that may be taken more than two ways.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »

Considering that the source of the article is not the Vatican media office, it really doesn't matter.  "They" (non-Vatican media) can write any way they choose.

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »

It's really nothing new; AFAIK the some Orthodox teach something similar, that those who don't properly understand Christian theology & thus reject it can still be saved if they are following what they do understand, as best they can.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: