OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 04:24:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic Mass celebrated in an Orthodox church?  (Read 912 times) Average Rating: 0
griego catolico

Faith: Catholic

...for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord.

« on: September 03, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »

There are examples where the Divine Liturgy is or has been celebrated by Eastern Orthodox priests in Roman Catholic churches, either on a temporary, frequent, or regular basis. A good example would be the Basilica of Saint Nicholas in Bari.

I am interested to know if there are examples of Catholic Masses or other services having been celebrated in Eastern or Oriental Orthodox churches.  
The only example I can think of is when Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles offered the use of the cathedral to the parishioners of Saint Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic Church after it was the victim of arson.

Any others?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:24:07 PM by griego catolico » Logged
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »

Voluntarily or involuntarily? I can think of Hagia Sophia after the Fourth Crusade.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »

I know there are some churches in Lemko area that are used both by Orthodox and Catholics (both rites).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »

There are examples where the Divine Liturgy is or has been celebrated by Eastern Orthodox priests in Roman Catholic churches, either on a temporary, frequent, or regular basis. A good example would be the Basilica of Saint Nicholas in Bari.

I am interested to know if there are examples of Catholic Masses or other services having been celebrated in Eastern or Oriental Orthodox churches.  
The only example I can think of is when Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles offered the use of the cathedral to the parishioners of Saint Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic Church after it was the victim of arson.

Any others?

Some churches in Western Ukraine have alternated services, particularly after 1988.  I'm not sure if that is still happening anywhere.  Churches of all kinds are being built constantly in that region.  

I can give many examples of such Latin services in former Eastern rite Catholic churches after the Eastern rite was abolished.   But I don't think that's what you're looking for.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 04:44:44 PM »

Voluntarily or involuntarily? I can think of Hagia Sophia after the Fourth Crusade.
Happens in the Church of the Resurrection regularly in Jerusalem.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 04:57:27 PM »

Also: The Holy Sepulchre and Church of the Nativity?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 05:13:43 PM »

AFAIK it happens and/or it has happened in Finland in those places where Catholics don't have churches of their own. Which they rarely do since RC diocese of Helsinki is quite small.

Not on the holy table though. IIRC according the pictures that I've seen the actual altar was closed while RCs had set up a temporary altar in front of the royal doors.

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »

I think the Eastern liturgy of St. John Chrysostom celebrated in most orthodox churches.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:31:36 PM by WPM » Logged
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »

Happens in the Church of the Resurrection regularly in Jerusalem.

You beat me to it
Father H
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 06:38:48 PM »

Yes, both.  However, RC's do not use the Orthodox altar of either katholikon, but have their own space.  However, in the Church of the Resurrection, all use the tomb itself at various points (the antimension is only present for the Orthodox celebration). 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 06:40:22 PM »

AFAIK it happens and/or it has happened in Finland in those places where Catholics don't have churches of their own. Which they rarely do since RC diocese of Helsinki is quite small.

Not on the holy table though. IIRC according the pictures that I've seen the actual altar was closed while RCs had set up a temporary altar in front of the royal doors.

Right, and this is no problem for Novus Ordo--western facing anyway.  Facing the congregation would be impossible on the Orthodox HT without rearranging it altogether. 
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »

Right, and this is no problem for Novus Ordo--western facing anyway.  Facing the congregation would be impossible on the Orthodox HT without rearranging it altogether. 

Unless you are Ecumenical Patriarch

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »

Honestly, that Novus Ordo stuff should just not be in the Holy Churches of Jerusalem.

Tridentine is at least tolerable.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 07:16:42 PM »

Golgotha and Nativity grotto have separate altars for the Latins.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 07:18:28 PM »

Honestly, that Novus Ordo stuff should just not be in the Holy Churches of Jerusalem.

My understanding was that the NO isn't used in the spaces ruled by the sultan's firman.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 07:59:20 PM »

In this case he is facing east, the people are facing west because they cannot be behind him facing east. 
griego catolico

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 08:09:55 PM »

My understanding was that the NO isn't used in the spaces ruled by the sultan's firman.

The Novus Ordo Missae is celebrated in the major shrines of the Holy Land.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »

Any others?
The Russians have their own chapel in the Crypt at Bari Basilica.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
griego catolico

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »

The Russians have their own chapel in the Crypt at Bari Basilica.

My understanding is that the chapel is not exclusively Russian as Italo Byzantine Catholics also use it as mentioned in the following CNEWA article:

As I walked down a flight of stairs into the crypt where Nicholas’s body is enshrined, I heard the distinct sound of Byzantine chant. A Byzantine Divine Liturgy was in progress. The language, however, was not Greek or Slavonic, but Italian. Italo-Byzantine Catholics (who number some 65,000 people) were not alone in their worship. Greeks, Russians and curious Latin Catholics all took part in the liturgy as well.

One Russian family caught my eye. The father watched his youngest child as his wife and daughters, their heads covered in colorful scarves, lit candles, kissed icons, pressed their heads to the sacred images and prostrated themselves before the altar. Although they abstained from the Eucharist, this family and the other Orthodox pilgrims who were in attendance rushed to the iconostasis to receive the blessed bread and to be anointed with the holy myron, or oil, of St. Nicholas.
Source: http://www.cnewa.org/default.aspx?ID=760&pagetypeID=4&sitecode=CA%20%20&pageno=1

Orthodox liturgies have been celebrated on the main altar of the basilica ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWNr_DA7IS0 ) and on the main altar in the crypt ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ_ssHxDzu8 ).
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 01:05:15 AM »

In this case he is facing east, the people are facing west because they cannot be behind him facing east. 

The attack has failed!

Retreat!!!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 05:30:02 PM »

Some churches in Western Ukraine have alternated services, particularly after 1988.  I'm not sure if that is still happening anywhere.  Churches of all kinds are being built constantly in that region.  

I can give many examples of such Latin services in former Eastern rite Catholic churches after the Eastern rite was abolished.   But I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Just out of curiosity - could you please explain what you mean by
after the Eastern rite was abolished.
?

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 06:04:32 PM »

Just out of curiosity - could you please explain what you mean by
after the Eastern rite was abolished.
?

1875 probably.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up