OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:31:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for resources on the view of apostolic succession in the early Church  (Read 490 times) Average Rating: 0
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

« on: September 11, 2013, 05:09:49 PM »

Hello everyone,
   I started my MA in history this month, and I plan to write my thesis on the view of apostolic succession in the first and second centuries (i.e. how it was defined, why it was seen as important). If any of you know of good academic resources on this topic I would appreciate recommendations.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 05:19:16 PM »

Would it be fair to assume that you are looking for scholarly/secondary sources and not primary sources/references?

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »

Would it be fair to assume that you are looking for scholarly/secondary sources and not primary sources/references?
Yes, exactly.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:39:45 AM »

I am shooting purely from the hip here, but my recollection is when I read several of Clement of Rome's letters, he discussed it.  He was first century and a contemporary of the Apostles.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 03:15:47 AM »

SECONDARY sources!? "Scholarly" sources!?
Bah humbug! Secular universities!

I can imagine it now in the church universities... (it does exist)

"St. John of Damascus was against iconoclasm, according to Professor ORLLY who said that John of Damascus said, 'I like icons, and I use an argument with this verse here from the bible '~~~~''"

Cut out the middle man, and directly quote the saint already!!!

It reminds me of a story about greek theological universities, which had become secularized, scholastic, philosophical (I cannot think of a good word for it). oh, "WESTERN!!!" ;p

Anyway, the student's masters thesis is being critiqed by the professors of a... let us say unnamed greece theological university. They say, why are there so few scholarly sources in your writing? There are hardly any sources taken from theologians, mostly just quoting various saint theologians from long ago and the scriptures. And the student responds, correctly, that the theologians are the saints, who he was constantly quoting. It is not the professors of theology who are theologians, the saints are the theologians. or something like that.

This reminds me of what St. Gregory Palamas said about theology, there are three types. But I am babbling on too much about off topic stuff, like always

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 03:51:13 AM »

sorry, not three types of theology,

three types of "theologians"

Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 02:24:52 PM »

If you haven't already read it, Jaroslav Pelikan's work on the history of church tradition volume 1 comes into mind.

Thank you.
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 03:12:51 PM »

You really should be reading what the Fathers themselves said in the early centuries. 
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 04:09:04 AM »

I bought a certain writing by a Saint hippolytus about "Apostolic Tradition" thinking it would talk about it...

but nope, its just some explanation of liturgy and rules ectect

Could not even read it, the translator writes paragraphs for each sentence of actual writing.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 04:11:05 AM »

You really should be reading what the Fathers themselves said in the early centuries. 

I think those are readily available and easily found, thus what he is asking for are secondary sources that might not immediately present themselves in a Google search.

I am still trying to think about if I would recommend anything in particular. I've thought about books that mention it here and there, but often little more than a paragraph or two, and nothing more developed or expanded. I also don't want to just try to search for books that I've never read and then throw the titles out, if I can help it. ...  Undecided

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Nektarios_In_E.S.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church Diocese of Buenos Aires, Central and South America

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »

This is a wonderful topic that you're investigating.  Here are some fantastic sources that will definitely help you:

Primary Source:
"Early Christian Writings" by Andrew Louth on Penguin Classics
(I recommend the actual letters by St.Clement of Rome and when he talks about the inheritance of ancient Israel to the Church).  Plus, indirectly, his Epistle will give you wonderful knowledge of the Early Church.
http://www.amazon.com/Early-Christian-Writings-Apostolic-Classics/dp/0140444750 

Secondary Source:
"From Jesus to Christianity" by L.Michael White
(In spite of this written by a secualr Scholar, I've never seen a more objective treatment of the era following the Apostolic Age giving way to the next generation of the Apostolic Fathers: St.Clement, St.Ignatios, St.Polycarp, etc., than by this writer.  I truly enjoyed this chapter and highly highly recommend this book.  I was so impressed with all the evidence that this writer treats his subject with: primary sources, secondary sources and archaeological finds.  This is a must for any student of early patristics, early Christianity and it should help you greatly with your topic at hand).
http://www.amazon.com/From-Jesus-Christianity-Generations-Storytellers/dp/0060816104

Finally, here is an easy to read booklet that will sum it all up for you:
"Apostolic Succession" ( <-----doesn't get more simple than that!)
by Fr.Gregory Rogers
http://store.ancientfaith.com/apostolic-succession-pdf-booklet/

My dear friend and "seeker of truth" I truly hope this helps you!  I also strongly encourage you to continue to prayerfully search for the truth, which, like me, I also found it in the Holy Orthodox Church.  Trust me, I've bounced around different religions and denominations and churches until, I discovered The Truth here.

Best regards,
Nektarios

Tags: Apostolic succession  priesthood  Episcopacy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: