OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 07:43:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Protestant Iconoclast destroys Icon of Theotokos at an Ethiopian Orthodox Church  (Read 2845 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2013, 08:05:29 AM »

I just read the OP. I guess people are going to say it was a Muslim.

All I know is that the Orthodox are the biggest iconoclasts I've ever met. With all the catalogues, parish news that goes into the trash, calendars, icon bracelets, etc. This is not to mention the icons people use on their desktops, for "avatars". Awesome, Mary is your own personal avatar on the internet. How humble. How many icons did you destroy sending those icons into the trash bin on your computer looking for one online?

I've never met anyone but an Orthodox or person interested in it treat icons with such contempt.

I guess if you stuck these things in a parish in Ethiopia and some one who isn't Orthodox makes a big to do with throwing an icon away rather than quietly mass mailing and the like, it makes news and makes people sad.

Calling the police? Christians? OK. 

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2013, 08:54:16 AM »

All I know is that the Orthodox are the biggest iconoclasts I've ever met. With all the catalogues, parish news that goes into the trash, calendars, icon bracelets, etc. This is not to mention the icons people use on their desktops, for "avatars". Awesome, Mary is your own personal avatar on the internet. How humble. How many icons did you destroy sending those icons into the trash bin on your computer looking for one online?

I've never met anyone but an Orthodox or person interested in it treat icons with such contempt.

I guess if you stuck these things in a parish in Ethiopia and some one who isn't Orthodox makes a big to do with throwing an icon away rather than quietly mass mailing and the like, it makes news and makes people sad.

Now, now...our Roman Catholic friends certainly hold their own when it comes to religious trinkets, catalogues and general schlock.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2013, 09:41:22 AM »

Now, now...our Roman Catholic friends certainly hold their own when it comes to religious trinkets, catalogues and general schlock.

Those are not "icons".

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »

+1
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

The only thing I find more grotesque is the amount of money that is put into commissioning icons from Mt. Athos and having bragging rights that go with it.

You have priests who can barely make ends meet, but we'll throw a couple 100k for icons.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: Theotokos  Ethiopian Orthodox Church  iconoclasm  Icon 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: