OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 02:48:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Mason no more  (Read 1213 times) Average Rating: 0
Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« on: May 21, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »

Hello! I am Sauron. You may remember me from threads such as this one:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,42663.0.html

I am pleased to report that as of tonight, I am no longer a member of the Masonic fraternity. I signed the withdrawal papers earlier this evening.

(please feel free to move to another forum if appropriate; I chose this one since that is where the linked thread was posted)
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:32:57 AM »

I am pleased to report that as of tonight, I am no longer a member of the Masonic fraternity. I signed the withdrawal papers earlier this evening.

(please feel free to move to another forum if appropriate; I chose this one since that is where the linked thread was posted)

Praise the Lord.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:08 AM »

good

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:07:03 AM »

Welcome back

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »

Welcome back Sauron
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »

Care to share what led to this decision?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »

I'm so happy to hear it.

Couldn't have been easy....but, you did the right thing. 

Glory be to God!

Welcome back!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »

Glad to hear it.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 11:17:12 AM »

Nice. Smiley

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »

Care to share what led to this decision?

I decided that whatever my opinions were, I had to obey. Now I can commune with a clear conscience.

It was actually easier than I thought it would be. I just signed the paper and that was that. My very good friend is the current Master of the lodge, so I attended a final meeting, handed in the paperwork, and then had beer with him. I did make some very good friends and will continue to be friends with them - I just won't have any more to do with the Masonic stuff. Frankly, I had been pretty disillusioned with it for a while.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »

I won't pressure you to say anything, but I have always wanted to know, what exactly are you doing at those meetings?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 11:44:25 AM »

I won't pressure you to say anything, but I have always wanted to know, what exactly are you doing at those meetings?
I have a feeling you're asking something that won't be answered Wink

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »

The meetings are business meetings. Here is the typical order:

Open with the pledge of allegiance and a prayer. Then, introduce visitors. People give reports if any Masons or their families are in sickness and distress and in need of prayer or other assistance. Review any received correspondence and pay the bills. Heads of committees give reports about things like if repairs are needed for the building. If there is an application for new membership, vote on that. There is a report about ongoing charity projects. People raise new business to be address like "who can help mow the lodge lawn this month?" Sometimes, someone shows up to get their 25-year pin. Then, close the meeting with prayer.

Thrilling, yes?
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »

Open with the pledge of allegiance and a prayer. Then, introduce visitors. People give reports if any Masons or their families are in sickness and distress and in need of prayer or other assistance. Review any received correspondence and pay the bills. Heads of committees give reports about things like if repairs are needed for the building. If there is an application for new membership, vote on that. There is a report about ongoing charity projects. People raise new business to be address like "who can help mow the lodge lawn this month?" Sometimes, someone shows up to get their 25-year pin. Then, close the meeting with prayer.

Thrilling, yes?

Do you mean to tell me that you're basically doing paperwork? That's what all the secrecy is about?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »

Thrilling, yes?

Do you mean to tell me that you're basically doing paperwork? That's what all the secrecy is about?

For the business meetings, yes. Similarly, you cannot come to the business meetings of my firm because you are curious. They are secret to you as well.

Other than the regularly scheduled business meetings, there are the degree ceremonies. The secrets of those degrees and of Masonry in general are the secret handshakes (called "grips"), passwords, steps (basically, a position of your feet on the floor) and hand gestures (called "due guards" and "signs").
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 01:52:20 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Welcome back.   Smiley
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »

AWESOME! Love it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 03:28:16 PM »

AWESOME! Love it.

Just realized that we used to have a Freemason called "Sauron". Love it.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »

AWESOME! Love it.

Just realized that we used to have a Freemason called "Sauron". Love it.

I was referring the tone of the post. Great stuff. Other than his politics, thoughts on relationships, worldview, well just about everything, I think Sauron is fantastic. Glad to see him posting again.

Always one to provide a laugh rarely at the expense of himself. An oddity around here.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 06:49:48 PM »

Awesome!!!!!   Grin

God Bless!

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »

[Obligatory conspiracy theory post]

Be safe, you know the evil, baby sacrificing, goat worshiping Masons don't just let people go! They will harass you until the end! Watch your back!  police

[/post]

Seriously though, good for you! And good to have you back!

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 09:28:29 PM »

Slava Bogu.

Spasi tebe Gospodi.

God Bless.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:28:49 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »

I did make some very good friends and will continue to be friends with them - I just won't have any more to do with the Masonic stuff. Frankly, I had been pretty disillusioned with it for a while.
What were you disillusioned with?
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »

I did make some very good friends and will continue to be friends with them - I just won't have any more to do with the Masonic stuff. Frankly, I had been pretty disillusioned with it for a while.
What were you disillusioned with?

Please forgive my belated reply.

In general, the idea of Freemasonry is a pretty good. Which is, it is supposed to be an organization of good men who wish to improve themselves as citizens, husbands, and fathers. In practice, I did not see much of that. It mostly was like a social club for retirees. There's nothing wrong with a social club for retirees. It is just not what I thought Masonry would be. There was a time where Masonry was where society's leaders could gather and work for the common good. It is not that anymore. While I think it won't disappear completely, I think it will continue to dwindle in membership numbers and relevance.

I should also correct my first post in this thread. When I submitted my dimit, I thought that got me out of Masonry. I later learn that it only removed me from membership in my lodge but I was still considered a Mason. So, I submitted a letter of resignation. Effective August 28, 2013, I am no longer a Mason. I will see about posting an image of the letter accepting my resignation and discharging me from the fraternity. My lifetime membership funds have been returned to me. It's over - I'm out.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 10:12:13 AM »

They give you your membership funds back?  That is awfully nice of them...

Maybe they aren't satanists after all...  Cheesy

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »

They give you your membership funds back?  That is awfully nice of them...

Maybe they aren't satanists after all...  Cheesy

Hold your horses until they come to terms on his soul.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:13:43 AM by orthonorm » Logged

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »

They give you your membership funds back?  That is awfully nice of them...

Maybe they aren't satanists after all...  Cheesy

I'm sure a lot of satanists are quite nice people.  The Antichrist will be amazing - benevolent, tolerant, kind, virtuous, etc.  Most of the world will love him.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 10:20:43 AM »

Congratulations!  Can you share what your priest said about the subject of your masonic membership?
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 11:12:19 AM »

thanks for sharing and may God bless and guide u.
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 01:32:04 PM »

Congratulations!  Can you share what your priest said about the subject of your masonic membership?

He asked me a few questions about it and was generally disapproving but when I asked if that would keep me from being chrismated he said, "no". In any event, I need to update him that I am out for good.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 06:34:25 PM »

He asked me a few questions about it and was generally disapproving but when I asked if that would keep me from being chrismated he said, "no". In any event, I need to update him that I am out for good.

Praise the Lord.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 07:08:14 PM »

Praise the Lord.

Amen to that
Tags: masonry freemasonry 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: