OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 03:41:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: does the green dot of warning ever go away ?  (Read 2905 times) Average Rating: 0
Феофан
High Elder

Faith: christian

« on: September 09, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »

stupid question ... but I'm curious, does the green dot of warning ever go away?   If it does lapse is that based on time or number of acceptable posts or both?

formerly known as theophan_c
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 03:50:15 PM »

From what I've observed, it's a time issue. One is warned/moderated for X number of days, and eventually reverts to normal at the end of the time period.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 04:11:17 PM »

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »

LOL!  The Green Dot and the warning both expire after the time of the warning passes.

In other words, if someone is warned for 14 days...on day 15, the dot will be gone, and the poster returned to non-warned status.

However, with each subsequent rule break (especially if the same rule is repeatedly broken), the warning duration increases, and at times leads to post moderation or even getting banned from the Forum. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »

From what I've observed, it's a time issue. One is warned/moderated for X number of days, and eventually reverts to normal at the end of the time period.

Sort of.  That is what happens to the "green" (Warned) dot.  But for Post Moderated or Muted status, once your time at that level is complete, your status downgrades one level to the next lower level for the same period of time.

Ex: If you are Muted for 15 days, then following those 15 days the system will place you on Post Moderation for 15, then Warned for 15, and then your status will be cleared up.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »

Well not me.

I'm always on my period.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:14:37 PM »

Well not me.

I'm always on my period.

how long has it been?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:17:39 PM »

Better a green dot here than a red reputation elsewhere, I always say.

Large Marge sent me...
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:18:56 PM »

Well not me.

I'm always on my period.
This is simultaneously the most funny and the least funny thing I have read on this forum.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 10:26:33 PM »

Yes. There is hope. The green dot has followed me for much of my time here on OC.net. Holy water, prayers, and contrition still didn't help. After a while I learned to accept the green dot as my friend. And then, in time, it vanished. It reappears every now and then, but for the most part it has left me alone. So do not despair.  Wink

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 01:48:43 AM »

Yes. There is hope. The green dot has followed me for much of my time here on OC.net. Holy water, prayers, and contrition still didn't help. After a while I learned to accept the green dot as my friend. And then, in time, it vanished. It reappears every now and then, but for the most part it has left me alone. So do not despair.  Wink

Selam

hmm

Does God have the power to remove a green dot from a forum computer database? Why has he never done any miracles with the computer?

atheist  Embarrassed

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:38:23 AM »

Does God have the power to remove a green dot from a forum computer database? Why has he never done any miracles with the computer?

"So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished. For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right, and they will honor you. The authorities are God’s servants, sent for your good. (Romans 13:1-4)"

Smiley

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 04:05:53 AM »

"So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished. For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right, and they will honor you. The authorities are God’s servants, sent for your good. (Romans 13:1-4)"

Smiley

Yes, Caesar!

mumble mumble

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 07:43:54 AM »

Well not me.

I'm always on my period.
This is simultaneously the most funny and the least funny thing I have read on this forum.
I was worried someone didn't get it.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 08:06:06 AM »

I think the green dot follows the blue dot in your vision.

(sorry, couldn't resist!  Grin)

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 08:09:30 AM »

Writers must oppose systems. It's important to write against power, corporations, the state, and the whole system of consumption and of debilitating entertainments...I think writers, by nature, must oppose things, oppose whatever power tries to impose on us.

I oppose writers who oppose systems. Into the fire and flame with such as these!

Large Marge sent me...
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »

Well not me.

I'm always on my period.

Use it for spotting while it lasts. Tongue

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 12:26:58 PM »

No, it doesn't go away.
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »

I think the green dot follows the blue dot in your vision.

(sorry, couldn't resist!  Grin)

Wink  so far so good ... I've not gone that far, yet.

Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 02:42:42 PM »

No, it doesn't go away.

you and Gebre both seem like very nice people to me... which makes me wonder how close to the edge I might be without even knowing it. 

... which reminds me of Bill Clinton being asked how he felt about being listed as the 51st biggest scandal in history to which he replied "what's a guy gotta do to get into the top 50?"

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »

I've never been dotted, although, given the stupidity of most of my posts, I have no idea how I have managed to avoid it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:19:57 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 03:18:59 PM »

No, it doesn't go away.

you and Gebre both seem like very nice people to me... which makes me wonder how close to the edge I might be without even knowing it. 

... which reminds me of Bill Clinton being asked how he felt about being listed as the 51st biggest scandal in history to which he replied "what's a guy gotta do to get into the top 50?"

You won't get warned if you don't make overly agressive posts and things like that (oh, and don't forget the titles of hierarchs!). Lots of people have thousands of posts and never or only once or twice got warned.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:21:26 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »

I've been warned twice. Once was what I would call a technicality (I used a forbidden word to refer to a particular religious group in what I figured was an allowable context, since it was referring to why we shouldn't use that word...), the other was me being less than irenic about Islam. If I'm honest with myself, I have to admit that both would have been avoidable by simply not posting regarding those subjects (of course now I realize that this is preferable, moderation or no moderation). A modicum of discretion can go a long way to keeping any dots off you.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »

I have talked about all sorts of explicit sexual stuff, I have said extremely nasty things that someone shouldn't say to their worst enemy, I have posted pics that were deemed offensive, I have send PMs that were probably worthy of getting me banned, I have had people accuse me of proselytizing for atheism (lulz)... all without even an informal warning.

However, I also accidentally forgot to put "saint" in front of someone's name once, and I was moderated for that.

There is no rhyme or reason to this place. Just don't be a jerk and you'll probably be ok. Unless you forget to follow an obscure rule. But ignorance is no excuse!

Cool

Large Marge sent me...
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »

I considered once starting a thread called "Earning your Spot" whereby you could post offensive things and get warned or moderated without disrupting the rest of the forum, yet still have the coolness factor of having a spot.  I abandoned the idea for obvious reasons.  angel

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »

I have talked about all sorts of explicit sexual stuff, I have said extremely nasty things that someone shouldn't say to their worst enemy, I have posted pics that were deemed offensive, I have send PMs that were probably worthy of getting me banned, I have had people accuse me of proselytizing for atheism (lulz)... all without even an informal warning.

However, I also accidentally forgot to put "saint" in front of someone's name once, and I was moderated for that.

There is no rhyme or reason to this place. Just don't be a jerk and you'll probably be ok. Unless you forget to follow an obscure rule. But ignorance is no excuse!

Cool

You sure?

You had a couple of more deserved dots:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,36653.msg578576.html#msg578576
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,36425.msg574529.html#msg574529
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:40:19 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 03:44:31 PM »

Cool

You sure?

You had a couple of more deserved dots:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,36653.msg578576.html#msg578576
I've had several dots. Not sure this one (in the link) was deserved, considering that within the last month someone gave personal info of a poster away and didn't get a warning (not publically anyway). But then I never said you guys were consistent in your moderation (which I'm thankful for...)

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

But yes, I am sure about what I said.   Cool

post mistakenly editted by me but I restored it to the original look, sorry - MK
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:52:05 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »

Not sure this one (in the link) was deserved, considering that within the last month someone gave personal info of a poster away and didn't get a warning (not publically anyway).

Don't worry.

It was moved to Politics.

And that was my mistake.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »

Fair enough. And just to be clear, in general I think you guys do a great job here. It's the only forum I still participate at regularly, after who knows how many dozens of forums over 15 or so years on the internet.

Large Marge sent me...
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »

I considered once starting a thread called "Earning your Spot" whereby you could post offensive things and get warned or moderated without disrupting the rest of the forum, yet still have the coolness factor of having a spot.  I abandoned the idea for obvious reasons.  angel

Being spotty is never cool, as our more juvenile members will attest. Forgetting it means you're growing old.Tongue

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 11:40:39 PM »

I've never been dotted, although, given the stupidity of most of my posts, I have no idea how I have managed to avoid it.
Never say never... Wink

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 08:30:43 AM »

Never say never... Wink
I am under no illusion that I will never be dotted in the future.  I figure I am on borrowed time.  But to date, I haven't received such an annointing.  angel

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 02:44:45 PM »

I love the book, play, and film, but this cracks me up every time.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 03:49:39 PM »

Never say never... Wink
I am under no illusion that I will never be dotted in the future.  I figure I am on borrowed time.  But to date, I haven't received such an annointing.  angel

If you ever want to get dotted, I have several post ideas that have been developing for years which I would be willing to share with you.

Large Marge sent me...
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »

Never say never... Wink

If you ever want to get dotted, I have several post ideas that have been developing for years which I would be willing to share with you.
Keep in mind that I would prefer not to get banned.  The coolness quotient on the red dot is way low. 

I don't know how my poledancing thread did not warrant a green dot at minimum. Apparently, the mods have mercy.  Cheesy

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2013, 11:49:12 PM »

I've been warned twice. Once was what I would call a technicality (I used a forbidden word to refer to a particular religious group in what I figured was an allowable context, since it was referring to why we shouldn't use that word...), the other was me being less than irenic about Islam. If I'm honest with myself, I have to admit that both would have been avoidable by simply not posting regarding those subjects (of course now I realize that this is preferable, moderation or no moderation). A modicum of discretion can go a long way to keeping any dots off you.

this right here is the whole point of post moderation.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 12:04:59 AM »

this right here is the whole point of post moderation.
Yes, we hope that each poster will moderate his/her own posts so we moderators don't have to. police
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 12:26:14 AM »

<--- Still working on it, guys. Sorry. Embarrassed

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2013, 02:48:54 AM »

Or how long do you have to wait before you find out why you have been warned?
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2013, 03:35:54 AM »

Huh?

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 03:49:28 AM »

No, it doesn't go away.

I am one of the worst humans here by nearly all accounts and yet I would bet on a time spent here to dot ratio, I hold the record the best behaved, if not, then I am in the top three.

It helps to know the rules and follow them and have a relatively stable psyche.

So read the rules, follow them, and well get that red laser which looks blue taken care of.

Best of luck. Really this place is rather sane in terms of moderation, especially given the ostensible subject matter this place is about.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2013, 04:11:01 AM »

You don't have the access to Politics, do you?

You were warned for posting political message in the public fora. That thread was moved to the Politics section so unless you do not have an access there, you could not read the warning message.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2013, 06:01:01 AM »

You were warned for posting political message in the public fora. That thread was moved to the Politics section so unless you do not have an access there, you could not read the warning message.

And it's me that's Irish! So in essence I been warned but the substance of that was moved to an area off limits to me. You couldn't make it up.

At least thank you for filling in a gap.....
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2013, 07:53:42 AM »

And it's me that's Irish! So in essence I been warned but the substance of that was moved to an area off limits to me. You couldn't make it up.

At least thank you for filling in a gap.....
...and this is where you PM a mod and get more info.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2013, 07:54:34 AM »

Speaking of, I remember getting a PM from a mod when I was moderated, telling me why/what happened.

Large Marge sent me...
Tags: Chuck Norris 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: