OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:11:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Release of the Spirit  (Read 1189 times) Average Rating: 0
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« on: February 07, 2005, 10:57:07 PM »

Anyone ever read this by HH Pope Shenouda III?  The OCSA at my school will be reading this soon.  All I've heard is that it's a compilation of a bunch of writings or letters, I'm not sure.  Anyone have an opinion?  I don't get the chance to read much in school so I'm looking forward to this.

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 01:27:01 AM »

*ahem*  No one's read this?  :-";"xx

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 02:55:44 AM »

I read it a while ago.  It was a bit disjointed.  Some chapters are more inspiring than others.-The chapters I absolutely loved were chapters 7 through 11.  I hope my edition is the same as yours.  Chapter seven is entitled "Know Yourself."  These contain some of the best teachings I have ever read regarding humility.  It's the sort of thing you get from the desert fathers.  I hope you enjoy reading it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:22:52 AM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 03:02:23 AM »

Oops! I forgot to mention my favorite book by Pope Shenouda: Being With God. I read it during a rough period of my life and I felt spiritually renewed by it. It got me praying again after a long spiritual "dry spell" in which I had virtually stopped praying.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 03:14:32 AM »

I found an online version which I will read after my wife goes to bed. Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 09:38:23 AM »

Thanks Salpy, while I haven't read much in the way of religious/Orthodox books, the desert fathers interest me so much from the little exposure I have from Letters from the Desert.  I will remember the other book you mentioned as well.

Paradosis, I found that website earlier as well.  I think I'll wait for the hard copy; the computer screen will be hurting my eyes after a couple pages Wink But thanks!

Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 07:59:09 PM »

The book was written by His Holiness long before he entered monasticism, when he was an active Sunday School teacher. It is his first spiritual book, or publication, and I am not sure it was edited a lot afterwards. I absolutely loved it, but I must say that the English version is poorly translated and does not reflect the richness and spirituality of this book. But it introduced H.H. to the Coptic community.

Some of the books of H.H. are compilations of his weekly lecture, Wednesday's in the Grand Cathedral in Cairo or in the Theology School. 

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Tags: Pope Shenouda 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: