OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 27, 2014, 02:37:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 565 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: September 08, 2013, 02:47:06 PM »

Are there any movements within the Catholic Church that consider smoking as sinful and/or not desirable for regular laymen?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 02:47:21 PM by Alpo » Logged

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:21:40 PM »

Are there any movements within the Catholic Church that consider smoking as sinful and/or not desirable for regular laymen?

I don't know if there is a movement in the RCC to hinder the use of tobacco. I do know that your body is supposed to be a temple of the Holy Ghost and it is to be respected, and smoking is as form of disrespect.  I stopped smoking in 1967 in October and never picked up another to smoke. (its interesting that one does remember when they quit) So, there may not be movement but it is incumbent to keep in mind that your body is a sacred place for the Holy Spirit and we should be doing everything possible to keep it from being infiltrated not only by sin but by physical harm.
ThatOneGuy92

Faith: Lutheran
Jurisdiction: Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 12:11:55 AM »

In all my experiences with Catholic laity and clergy, there is no movement to consider it sinful per se. Rather, although there is a lean towards not smoking in many places (since our knowledge of how harmful it can be), the overall message I've received is that moderation is the key.

As in, an occasional cigar isn't bad. Chain-smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day, however, is greatly frowned upon.

Some, however, may consider it a sin.

Sincerely your brother in Christ,
Tim

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."
- St. Basil the Great
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 11:23:52 AM »

Thank you for the answers. I have a friend that is overly enthusiastic RC convert and who is fairly strongly against smoking. I though he might have picked his attitude from Neocatechumenals or some other Catholic crypto-Evangelical group.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:24:03 AM by Alpo » Logged

Scotty

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Portland

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 07:28:05 PM »

Smoking is a weird issue in the American Church right now.  Per the public school system and public opinion in general, smoking is the only mortal sin.  In reality it isn't a moral issue if it is in moderation, but the same anti-smoking attitude is pervasive in the Church.  I know priests who teach at seminary, who are very adamant about not smoking, but as they admit, this is not for moral reasons but to preserve simplicity and poverty as priests.  Though they advocate the same for laity.  At the same time, you have the traditionalists (laity and clergy) who seem to pick up smoking simply because it is ok, what was done back in the day, and to stick it to those anti-smoking novus ordo people.  This is also incredibly stupid.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »

Smoking is a weird issue in the American Church right now.  Per the public school system and public opinion in general, smoking is the only mortal sin.  In reality it isn't a moral issue if it is in moderation, but the same anti-smoking attitude is pervasive in the Church.  I know priests who teach at seminary, who are very adamant about not smoking, but as they admit, this is not for moral reasons but to preserve simplicity and poverty as priests.  Though they advocate the same for laity.  At the same time, you have the traditionalists (laity and clergy) who seem to pick up smoking simply because it is ok, what was done back in the day, and to stick it to those anti-smoking novus ordo people.  This is also incredibly stupid.
I would say that smoking is a vice, but a minor one. Certainly we should not put poisons into our bodies, as that would not please God. However, every particular instance of smoking is not that damaging, just as every particular instance of overeating is not that damaging. However, just as over eating is gluttonous, I would suspect that smoking so that one is addicted is equally a bad thing.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: