OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 03:26:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: terirem?  (Read 2555 times) Average Rating: 0
isaelie

« on: September 08, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »

i've read what people on the internet have been saying about it. But i still dont get it? Why not just continue on with the service, why extend something? What is terirem (if it is done in monasteries, there has to be something that the majority agrees what it is about)
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »

i've read what people on the internet have been saying about it. But i still dont get it? Why not just continue on with the service, why extend something? What is terirem (if it is done in monasteries, there has to be something that the majority agrees what it is about)

Such extended musical compositions (kalophonika) are reserved for very special occasions (Vigils of great feasts, Patron Saints, etc.). On the Holy Mountain such Vigils can take up to 10 hours (Divine Liturgy included). St. John Koukouzelis introduced this genre in the 14th century.

Certain liturgical actions (processions, communion and so on) take up more time when many clergy and people are present.

You wouldn't hear it in the average parish on a regular Sunday service. 

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 01:28:13 PM »

I'm 60, a cradle, a son, Godson and brother of a priest and father of a seminarian and a cantor.  I've never heard the term.

Suffice it to say, if it's a hot Netodox topic, it's probably a monastic practice; someone read about and  thought it sounded "cool."

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 01:28:54 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »

What do you mean by the parenthetical reference? And the last question. Why are you asking what it is, if you supposedly know what it is already?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »

You can hear many recordings of it on Youtube. Yes, it is typically done in monasteries with the Byzantine style chant. I suppose the idea is to prolong and deepen a certain spiritual atmosphere, as well as fill up time when the priest is doing some lengthy inaudible prayers. It can be very highly improvisational- the Orthodox equivalent of scatting.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
isaelie

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:01:24 PM »

What do you mean by the parenthetical reference? And the last question. Why are you asking what it is, if you supposedly know what it is already?

You can hear many recordings of it on Youtube. Yes, it is typically done in monasteries with the Byzantine style chant. I suppose the idea is to prolong and deepen a certain spiritual atmosphere, as well as fill up time when the priest is doing some lengthy inaudible prayers. It can be very highly improvisational- the Orthodox equivalent of scatting.
ok, so it is a space-filler and is highly improvisational. But does anyone find it weird, it just seems weird to me, i dont know. And what i meant by the parentheses, is there any agreement on what terirem actually means? Isnt it weird that something used in liturgy majority of people dont know what it means.

How does it improve the spiritual atmosphere when its hard to find a consensus for what it even means. I am not mocking you or anything like that, dont take offense (not what im trying to do)
isaelie

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 07:29:15 PM »

can this thread be deleted
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:41:30 PM by isaelie » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »

can this thread be deleted please, i found the answer and no longer want to keep this thread up anymore

Threads are not deleted without very serious reasons. And this is not the case.
isaelie

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »

can i delete my account?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:43:56 PM by isaelie » Logged
isaelie

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »

if there was an option to remove all my previous posts, everything i have posted on this website, i would that (no hatred, i would like to delete because of the things i have said or started which I dont want other people to read so that they be saved and for them to learn good things, not bad or wrong things)

for example, i maybe posted something in the past about the Theotokos, or my un-Orthodox thoughts, or something foreign to the truth

Do not get me wrong, i am 100% orthodox, but i have made errors in the past by posting bad things which i would like removed for the better of other people

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:56:23 PM by isaelie » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »

I'm 60, a cradle, a son, Godson and brother of a priest and father of a seminarian and a cantor.  I've never heard the term.

Suffice it to say, if it's a hot Netodox topic, it's probably a monastic practice; someone read about and  thought it sounded "cool."

Terirem is an element of Byzantine chant tradition, not Slavic. This is probably why you've never heard of it.  Smiley
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 07:42:14 PM »

can i delete my account? i no longer want this user account

You can't.

if only there was an option to remove all previous posts

There isn't.

It was written no accounts are deleted in the registration panel. You agreed to that terms.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 07:43:21 PM »

Terirem is an element of Byzantine chant tradition, not Slavic. This is probably why you've never heard of it.  Smiley

Ahh, thank you.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 11:07:49 PM »

ok, so it is a space-filler and is highly improvisational. But does anyone find it weird, it just seems weird to me, i dont know. And what i meant by the parentheses, is there any agreement on what terirem actually means? Isnt it weird that something used in liturgy majority of people dont know what it means.

How does it improve the spiritual atmosphere when its hard to find a consensus for what it even means. I am not mocking you or anything like that, dont take offense (not what im trying to do)

The actual syllables "te ri rem" mean nothing. The terirem, it has already been said, is sung basically only in monasteries of the Byzantine tradition, usually as a part of the all-night vigil, which actually lasts all night. While it is chanted, the monks pray, as they always do.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »

if there was an option to remove all my previous posts, everything i have posted on this website, i would that (no hatred, i would like to delete because of the things i have said or started which I dont want other people to read so that they be saved and for them to learn good things, not bad or wrong things)

for example, i maybe posted something in the past about the Theotokos, or my un-Orthodox thoughts, or something foreign to the truth

Do not get me wrong, i am 100% orthodox, but i have made errors in the past by posting bad things which i would like removed for the better of other people

the only thing they can do is ban you!!

Yes, your posts will love on here forever!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 11:16:57 PM »

Also, I hear that the Theotokos sung terirem to Jesus as baby!

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 11:23:20 PM »

Also, I hear that the Theotokos sung terirem to Jesus as baby!

I'm sure she did.  In plagal of the first. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ooLAI3eIk

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 11:24:35 PM »

I also hear angels sing terirem!

ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »

This is like "aneanee" or "neeaanees" used as a tone indicator. I don't remember what tone it is that uses "terirem", but it might be a tone indicator as well as a way of lengthening the service.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 04:55:46 PM »

This is like "aneanee" or "neeaanees" used as a tone indicator. I don't remember what tone it is that uses "terirem", but it might be a tone indicator as well as a way of lengthening the service.

No, terirem is not a tone indicator.

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »

It's definitely not one of the apechemata: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,15510.msg221323.html#msg221323
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:07:12 PM by Romaios » Logged
Philipa

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 05:39:50 PM »

Terirems, which I really love, are supposed to express the «inexpressible», when words fails to convey, the mystery, the beauty, the reverence, the awe, tee love, the wonder. There is only the music of the human voice. I find them very uplifting. And they are not only done in monasteries but sometimes, also in some parishes. Very rarely I admit. 
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »

we have a previous thread on this abomination somewhere here.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 05:00:32 AM »

Terirems, which I really love, are supposed to express the «inexpressible», when words fails to convey, the mystery, the beauty, the reverence, the awe, tee love, the wonder. There is only the music of the human voice. I find them very uplifting. And they are not only done in monasteries but sometimes, also in some parishes. Very rarely I admit.  

The protopsaltis in our parish adds a terirem to the Trisagion quite often. While it sounds great, there's no need making an already long liturgy even longer. I think it should be limited to vigils, where length for length's sake actually serves a purpose.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:01:01 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 12:04:55 PM »

I think Terirem would be very useful for the anaphora, especially with the long inaudible prayer that the celebrant has to read, and the very short response, at least in the Byzantine tradition, of  " It is meet and right".
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »

I think Terirem would be very useful for the anaphora, especially with the long inaudible prayer that the celebrant has to read, and the very short response, at least in the Byzantine tradition, of  " It is meet and right".

It would also be very useful to return to an audible anaphora, especially if the alternative is the chanting of meaningless syllables to pass the time while the priest recites the prayer

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 09:45:37 AM »

I have no problem with terirems. I think they're beautiful- a kind of wordless prayer.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »

It would also be very useful to return to an audible anaphora, especially if the alternative is the chanting of meaningless syllables to pass the time while the priest recites the prayer

+1. In my parish, as in many Antiochian and OCA parishes, we are blessed to participate in the anaphora and the epiklesis, as well as the prayer for the catechumens and at the bowing of our heads.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: