OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 02:13:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need good advice or opinion  (Read 574 times) Average Rating: 0
jerold

Faith: Oriental  +
Jurisdiction: Coptic +

« on: September 06, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »

Greetings in Christ. +

I need the communitie's good opinion,.....what will you do, while have a family, if you are been called to be a servant, even unworthy of the grace,  and your wife didnt agree or support you, will you pursue it? and the persons told you about it are, one a servant, one a monk-priest and another a highest rank Church official....thanks for the advice in advance. +

I FOUND THE GOLD OF THE FARM AND PEARL OF THE SEA
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 01:22:08 PM »

and the persons told you about it are, one a servant, one a monk-priest and another a highest rank Church official....

What did these people tell you about?  Did they tell you about the opposition of your wife or about your call to be a servant? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »

I think he means that the servant, monk-priest, and church official asked him to become a servant.

Jerold,

What do you mean by "servant?"  Do you mean they want you to serve at the altar, or do you mean something else, like teaching Sunday school?  I've heard "servant" used to mean Sunday school teacher before, but I am not sure if that is what you mean, as I think it could also mean a deacon or someone else who helps at the altar.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your wife's objection to it?

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:07:43 AM »

Several definitions of a servant ~

a) Someone who serves a king
b) Someone who serves in the parish
c) Someone who serves God in their daily life
d) Or someone who takes up the monastic habit
jerold

Faith: Oriental  +
Jurisdiction: Coptic +

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »

deacon then maybe priest later + my wife objection is she is not worth to be wife of a priest, beside we are just two years convert, and received Eucharist four times..the knowledge about this faith is just a speckle of dust, and the nearest Church around 500miles. +
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:26:15 AM by jerold » Logged

I FOUND THE GOLD OF THE FARM AND PEARL OF THE SEA
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »

my wife objection is she is not worth to be wife of a priest,

No one is worthy of anything.

beside we are just two years convert, and received Eucharist four times..the knowledge about this faith is just a speckle of dust, and the nearest Church around 500miles. +

My opinion would be to exercise caution and to ask yourself how well you would be able to "serve" your church in your current situation. It also might not be a bad idea to question why you would be asked to serve the church in that capacity. Praying about it for a period of time might not be a bad idea.

Just some thoughts.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »

deacon then maybe priest later + my wife objection is she is not worth to be wife of a priest

Well, you're not worthy of being a priest.  But God doesn't call the people who are worthy, he makes the people he calls worthy (really, less and less unworthy).  The main task is to pray and discern--together--whether you feel God is calling you to this ministry.  It's a positive sign that others are recognising that call, but you also have to recognise it and accept it.  It's good to take time to pray over that together and think about it, discuss it, learn more about what it would require of the both of you, keep praying over it, etc.  Don't shut the door to it, but don't rush through it either. 

beside we are just two years convert, and received Eucharist four times..the knowledge about this faith is just a speckle of dust, and the nearest Church around 500miles. +

Maybe you are being called in order to start a church where you live so that others can also join and be united to Christ.  Maybe not.  Pray over it, and take your time.  I'm sure the clergy who feel you are called have reasons to believe that, but if you are relatively new to the faith, it's not a bad idea to take your time with such huge decisions.  St Paul instructs the Church not to ordain recent converts, after all.  At what point a recent convert stops being a recent convert is also another matter for discernment. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »

deacon then maybe priest later + my wife objection is she is not worth to be wife of a priest, beside we are just two years convert, and received Eucharist four times..the knowledge about this faith is just a speckle of dust, and the nearest Church around 500miles. +

One should not be ordained a priest unless it has been at least three years since their baptism. This is assuming one is attending regularly in order to experience the full Liturgical life of the Church. That is the preparation for priesthood, doing the Liturgy as a layman. Worry about entering the liturgical life of the Church first. Ideally this should be as part of an established community, where you can receive the living tradition of Orthodox from those around you. If you cannot often go to Church, then try to find a priest who is willing to fly to you, whether once a month, once every other month, whatever, and celebrate the Liturgy with you. A person cannot be ordained a priest without the consent of their wife.

You list your jurisdiction as Coptic. Keep in mind that Coptic deacons and priests are not allowed to work outside the church. If you were to stay 500 miles from a church, you could not even pray the Liturgy as a priest unless there were several Orthodox people with you, and you would not be able to work, so what would your livelihood be? If by, be ordained a deacon, you mean a chanter or a reader (which are in no wise deacons), so that if a priest visited you, you could fill the role of the deacon, your wife could fill the role of congregation, and you could have a Liturgy together. That is no big deal, every male over the age of 6 is one, don't be confused by their colloquial usage of the title "deacon" (a deacon is a big deal) where it doesn't belong.

Now, if what they are proposing is that you be ordained a deacon, and move to where there is a church, and be employed by the church as a deacon, holding no other job, as an economical means to allow you financially to move to where there is a church and enter the life of the Church... that would be very strange, but would be a pastoral matter between them and you.

In general, one does not choose to be a deacon or a priest. One must be called by God. That doesn't mean feeling you'd make a good one, that you have something to offer, that you would enjoy it, etc. It means feeling utter surety that you are unworthy of the priesthood, that it is a heavy cross that you wish to flee from, but that God is calling you to it, and you cannot resist His calling. If you are not in that circumstance, avoid the priesthood or it may well destroy your Christianity.

Your first post, where you ask if you should pursue it concerns me... the priesthood is not pursued. Maybe it is just a language issue, and if so I apologize, but it sounds like self-calling.

If you can establish a community where you are: show others the beauty of Orthodoxy, gather together to pray, increasingly bring a priest to serve an occasional Liturgy at a small but growing community, then when that community is big enough to support a priest, they can choose one of their own, whether you or another, to be the priest of that community, if the bishop agrees with the choice.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:07:13 PM by Jonathan » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »

If the call is true, it will wait while you grow more in the faith (you will need depth in experience to be a cleric) and while your wife perhaps comes around. If your wife is ultimately not in agreement with your decision, even if a bishop accepts to ordain you, what service you provide will lack very important support.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: