OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 07:39:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book on Tsar Martyr Nicholas II  (Read 2031 times) Average Rating: 0
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: February 07, 2005, 01:21:08 PM »

Can someone recommend some Pro-Czar books on Holy Nicholas? I'm sorry, but I cant stand the majority of books out there that take the icon of the man on my wall I pray to every night and depict as some money grubbing royal hypocrite. Thanks.

In XC,
Justinian

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 01:23:47 PM »

Can someone recommend some Pro-Czar books on Holy Nicholas? I'm sorry, but I cant stand the majority of books out there that take the icon of the man on my wall I pray to every night and depict as some money grubbing royal hypocrite. Thanks.

You might find some in the Fiction section of bookstores filed next to Saint Constantine.  Wink

« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 01:24:35 PM by TomS » Logged
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 01:37:25 PM »

In XC,
Justinian

I'll just pass over Tom's comment and recommend Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert Massie.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 01:47:42 PM »

Tom!  Cheesy

anyway, yes, Nicholas and Alexandra is a very good one to read.
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 05:39:31 PM »

An Englishman in the Court of the Tsar (by Christine Benagh) is a one that I liked, too, as well as the Massie book. You might want to go straight to Tsar Nikolai's letters and diaries themselves.

Marjorie
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 05:40:16 PM by Marjorie » Logged

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

- His Holiness Patriarch +PAVLE of Serbia
bripat22

Slava Tebie, Boze nas! Slava Tebie

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 12:22:21 AM »

Well, NIcholas was an historical figure and sometimes we must look at historical figures objectively, warts and all and NIcholas was responible for some extremely poor decisions during his era

For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like!-

Maggie Smith "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"
Kolya
Still learning!

Snow in Red Square.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 05:22:04 AM »

Well, NIcholas was an historical figure and sometimes we must look at historical figures objectively, warts and all and NIcholas was responible for some extremely poor decisions during his era

Such As....?

Treat others as you would like to be treated!
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 05:52:27 AM »

Such as sending troops into WWI bear-footed with short supplies of ammo....i guess you go to war with the army you've got Wink

Proverbs 22:7
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 08:39:35 AM »

Yeah, but I hardly think the poor state of the army at the time falls on Nicholas's head. Or WWI for that matter. Nicholas was actually for disarmament at a time that everyone thought that one 'nice, quick' war would solve everything in Europe, and was ridiculed for his position.

Marjorie

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 10:21:48 AM »

While the Sainted Tsar Martyr was not the greatest ruler in the worldly sense, he was a man of God and reading even factual secular books, especially in Masse's book the way he treated and loved his soldiers and people was fascinating. I know many a person who read this book and not only realized what a saint he was but what true Christian love was. Reading his hagiographical witness written by those Orthodox Christians that new him are even more awe inspiring. Was he perfect? No. Was he a great Worldly ruler? No. But these are not why he is a saint.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 06:04:30 PM »

Very good post, Deacon Nikolai. I completely agree.

Marjorie

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: