OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:16:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Day of Senior Year  (Read 576 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »

Greetings in Christ,

I humbly ask you to please pray for me as tomorrow is my first day as a High School Senior. I am quite nervous and would appreciate your supplications. Also please pray for my college applications. These next few months are going to be very arduous, daunting, and critical, so I beseech both your help and the help of our Lord to aid me in fulfilling what must be done.

In Christ,
Severian

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:11:50 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:11:28 PM »

The blessings of the Three Holy Hierarchs on your endeavours.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »

is that like when you are 18 and take your final school leaving exams at the end of the year?
(i have tried to get my head round all the names of american year groups in school and college, but my head nearly exploded...)
may God bless u and use u to bless others too.
 Smiley
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »

Lord, have mercy on Severian.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »

blessings for the coming year!
know what's more exciting then your first day of senior year? your last!

Proverbs 22:7
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 11:42:37 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 11:55:40 PM »

Lord have mercy.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 02:45:38 PM »

Well, I survived. I did much better today than I did on the first day of my Junior year, I was sweating bullets that day! laugh

In any case, I thank both the Lord and all of you for your help.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 03:54:02 PM »

Holy Trinity, have mercy on us.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 05:37:59 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 08:14:49 AM »

Lord have mercy.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20:02 AM »

Greetings in Christ,

I humbly ask you to please pray for me as tomorrow is my first day as a High School Senior. I am quite nervous and would appreciate your supplications. Also please pray for my college applications. These next few months are going to be very arduous, daunting, and critical, so I beseech both your help and the help of our Lord to aid me in fulfilling what must be done.

In Christ,
Severian

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner!

Lord have mercy, senior year was the most boring year in high school. Just try your best.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 08:49:44 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Good luck in your last year in high school, Severian. I share similar sentiments now that I just started senior year in college.

God go with you.

- Jade

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
elephant
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »

Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 02:50:03 PM »

ok, i can't bear the suspense, how many years are there between senior year at high school and senior year at college?
is the first year of college the year straight after the senior year at high school? (assuming you don't get a job)
and how many years are there in college?
is it quite scary over there in usa?
you guys seem scared, maybe uk schools are too easy (we don't get scared till 2 months before final exams in june).
may God bless u both and give u peace.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 03:00:59 PM »

ok, i can't bear the suspense, how many years are there between senior year at high school and senior year at college?
is the first year of college the year straight after the senior year at high school? (assuming you don't get a job)
and how many years are there in college?
is it quite scary over there in usa?
you guys seem scared, maybe uk schools are too easy (we don't get scared till 2 months before final exams in june).
may God bless u both and give u peace.

Generally, four years for a Bachelor's degree.  Most people start college/university/post-secondary schooling after high school.  That's how I did it, although I knew some folks who didn't go to college and started working jobs or joined the military.  The USA is as scary as any other place on Earth.  It's a big country.  The years of University in the States:

1st year-freshman
2nd-sophomore
3rd-junior
4th-senior
5th-you failed a few courses
6th-slacker
7th-You're not trying
8th-you should be a doctor

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 12:02:30 PM »

1st year-freshman
2nd-sophomore
3rd-junior
4th-senior
6th-slacker
7th-You're not trying

ha ha, thanks for your explanation and humour.
so most of your courses are 4 years? ours are 3, i guess we don't like to study much.
also here in the uk u can be a medical doctor in only 5 years after finishing high school! (some types of collage also do the age 18 exams, so you can go to a small college from ages 16-18 if you find one near you).

they say you know you are getting old when the police officers and doctors are looking very young...
 Wink
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »

1st year-freshman
2nd-sophomore
3rd-junior
4th-senior
6th-slacker
7th-You're not trying

ha ha, thanks for your explanation and humour.
so most of your courses are 4 years? ours are 3, i guess we don't like to study much.
also here in the uk u can be a medical doctor in only 5 years after finishing high school! (some types of collage also do the age 18 exams, so you can go to a small college from ages 16-18 if you find one near you).

they say you know you are getting old when the police officers and doctors are looking very young...
 Wink

Is it also true that in the UK, 16-year olds can enter the military?  Yes, bachelor's degrees tend to be 4 years, but one can finish quicker.  Medical school is 4 years beyond that and then an additional 2-5 years if one wants to do a residency and specialize.  Here in the US, finishing high school doesn't leave you as many options as having a university degree in many fields.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 04:15:47 PM »

yes, basically 16 year old can do all types of work, but they aren't allowed to drink alcohol so they need a shop assistant who is 18 or over to press the button for them when they sell alcohol.
16 year olds can get married (with parent's permission needed till 18) but they can't drive a car till age 17.

that seems about right to me. many 16-18 year olds are not great at academic study, so forcing them to study an extra 2 years when they can go out and earn money instead seems silly.
i know someone from school who hated study (average intelligence, she is not stupid) and left to get work at 16 and is still in the same job more than 20 years later. this is less usual these days because of the international economic recession.
both my parents left school age 16, one for economic reasons; the other wasn't good at exams and got an apprenticeship right away (and since then got many minor qualifications in various technical subjects).

many governments these days want to force people to study more.
i think this is to hide the fact that there are not enough jobs for everyone.

anyway, i hope and pray our college and school students here do well and prepare in all ways (not just academic) for an interesting job and life of service to God.
 Smiley
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »

anyway, i hope and pray our college and school students here do well and prepare in all ways (not just academic) for an interesting job and life of service to God.

Amen!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: