OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:43:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jewish Christianity  (Read 2313 times) Average Rating: 0
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2013, 07:21:14 PM »

Fr. James is my priest.  He does not follow any kosher diet.
Thank you for the clarification. I don't know where I got that from.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:23:30 PM by rakovsky » Logged
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2013, 08:33:50 PM »

Jewish Christianity is the religious outlook & perspective adopted by a Jew

In my journey to Holy Orthodoxy I was involved with "Jews for Jesus" to some extent. And at the time I was a fallen away Roman Catholic who was disillusioned by the post happenings of VATII.  Keep in mind that my journey involved from not going to church at all to investigating other forms of Christianity.  I looked into Evangelicals, Pentecostalism, Anglicanism, etc. I hit upon Jews for Jesus and thought that maybe this was a fundamental means to salvation only to learn that all they were was a pseudo Protestant group using the OT as a way of luring Jews into Christianity.  Once I found Holy Orthodoxy I knew that this Jews for Jesus did not fulfill my need for the ancient and mystical Church of Jesus Christ.
Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2013, 09:44:14 PM »

Maybe there's a bunch of different strains of "Jewish Christianity" ?  When I was growing up, my folks got us all involved in a group like this -- but we called it Messianic Judaism. It was mostly Christians who were dissatisfied with the smorgasbord of Protestant options and wanted to "do it like Jesus did." In other words, a bunch of Christians who worshiped like Jews. We'd come together on Saturday nights and have a havdalah service, sing, dance, and learn the Bible (both OT and NT).  I actually look back on those times fondly, and still try to make challah whenever I can.

It ultimately brought me to Orthodoxy, so I can't complain.

In my journey to Holy Orthodoxy I was involved with "Jews for Jesus" to some extent. And at the time I was a fallen away Roman Catholic who was disillusioned by the post happenings of VATII.  Keep in mind that my journey involved from not going to church at all to investigating other forms of Christianity.  I looked into Evangelicals, Pentecostalism, Anglicanism, etc. I hit upon Jews for Jesus and thought that maybe this was a fundamental means to salvation only to learn that all they were was a pseudo Protestant group using the OT as a way of luring Jews into Christianity.  Once I found Holy Orthodoxy I knew that this Jews for Jesus did not fulfill my need for the ancient and mystical Church of Jesus Christ.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2013, 09:59:56 PM »

Maybe there's a bunch of different strains of "Jewish Christianity" ?  When I was growing up, my folks got us all involved in a group like this -- but we called it Messianic Judaism. It was mostly Christians who were dissatisfied with the smorgasbord of Protestant options and wanted to "do it like Jesus did." In other words, a bunch of Christians who worshiped like Jews. We'd come together on Saturday nights and have a havdalah service, sing, dance, and learn the Bible (both OT and NT).  I actually look back on those times fondly, and still try to make challah whenever I can.

It ultimately brought me to Orthodoxy, so I can't complain.

I attended Jewish services with one of my buddies when I was at MP school. I found it far more edifying and spiritually uplifting than the Protestant services that were provided. If I had to pinpoint one event that started my search for the Ancient Church this would probably be it.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 04:09:51 AM »

I find with messianic Judaism there is this often not so subtle attempt to get people to go under the old law.

"well Jesus was baptised and ate kosher, why don't you?"

It also seems an attempt to invent a relatively ancient form of Christianity, although it is not a legitimate form of Christianity. There are some really weird messianic groups out there with a tonne of different beliefs.

Thank you.
andrewlya
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and is still learning

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »

You mean Messianic Jews?
They are the fastest growing stream of Judaism and I find them very fascinating as they are normal Jews , or Complete Jews/Fulfilled Jews as they all themselves, but at the same time accept Jesus as their Messiah. They strictly follow their Jewish traditions as well as believing in Jesus and, frankly, I think that's how Jesus may have wanted it ...Matthew 5:17
"Jesus: Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill."

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2014, 06:39:10 PM »

You mean Messianic Jews?
They are the fastest growing stream of Judaism and I find them very fascinating as they are normal Jews , or Complete Jews/Fulfilled Jews as they all themselves, but at the same time accept Jesus as their Messiah. They strictly follow their Jewish traditions as well as believing in Jesus and, frankly, I think that's how Jesus may have wanted it ...Matthew 5:17
"Jesus: Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill."

So, Andrew, should Christians be circumcised or baptized? Should they keep the Passover, or celebrate the Resurrection?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:41:36 PM by LBK » Logged
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2014, 06:42:47 PM »

You mean Messianic Jews?

So, Andrew, should Christians be circumcised or baptized? Should they keep the Passover, or celebrate the Resurrection?
Why is it a matter of or rather than of and?

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2014, 06:46:44 PM »

You mean Messianic Jews?

Why is it a matter of or rather than of and?

That is the very crux of the matter. Hint: the dispute in Acts, and St Peter's vision.

Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »

That is the very crux of the matter. Hint: the dispute in Acts, and St Peter's vision.

The dispute in Acts was different though. Wink

Paul objected to the imposition of the Law on Gentiles. His problem was with the Jewish doctrine that one has to follow the Mosaic Law to be saved/justified.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2014, 06:53:28 PM »

Paul objected to the imposition of the Law on Gentiles. His problem was with the Jewish doctrine that one has to follow the Mosaic Law to be saved/justified.

And Paul was right. The Mosaic Law did not need to be followed, as, now that Christ has come, there is neither Jew nor Greek. So, again, what of Peter's vision, and Passover/Resurrection? These are only a couple of examples.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:54:05 PM by LBK » Logged
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »

And Paul was right. The Mosaic Law did not need to be followed, as, now that Christ has come, there is neither Jew nor Greek. So, again, what of Peter's vision, and Passover/Resurrection? These are only a couple of examples.

Peter's vision was about the proclamation of the Gospel to the Gentiles. The Church did not allow the Mosaic Law to be an obstacle in the conversion of the Gentiles to Christianity.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »

Peter's vision was about the proclamation of the Gospel to the Gentiles. The Church did not allow the Mosaic Law to be an obstacle in the conversion of the Gentiles to Christianity.

So what do these "Messianic Jews" do? Eat the Passover lamb, and, a few days or weeks later, celebrate the resurrection? And whatever happened to The shadow of the Law has passed away? I'm sorry, but there are major conflicts between "full" Judaic practice, and Christian practice.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:21:35 PM by LBK » Logged
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »

:/ The thing is, the person who does this (a general term, no one in this thread in particular) does a disservice to both faiths. It's dishonorable to both Judaism and Christianity. They are both two different religions. You should pick one and not misrepresent the other.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
KostaC

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2014, 09:58:36 PM »

I'd be surprised if the Jewish Christian communities in Israel/Palestine didn't keep kosher. I've known a few non-observant Jews in the U.S. who keep kosher (albeit not the strict standards that halakha requires).

It's a bit strange, innit, that quite a few Jewish people who are atheists still maintain dietary laws and other rules (even Shimon Peres, who says that he's not religious, made quite a scene when he refused to travel on Saturdays and thus could not make it to the Olympic ceremonies last summer from his hotel), but here in America we can't even get many Orthodox Christians to fast at all, even half-assedly (I'll admit that I am terrible with fasting m'self)

Anyway, has anyone here ever been to Israel and met people from the Israeli community? I have a love of all Jewish languages, so I was bored one day and Googled "Yiddish translation of Saint John Chrysostom" (I really have no life; maybe my friends are right in that I should go clubbing with them  Cheesy). While I haven't found Yiddish (yet!), I have found Hebrew, and the story of how refugees from the Soviet Union who were sometimes only 1/16th or 1/8th Jewish claimed the Right of Return and settled in Israel. Some have retained the Russian language, others have embraced Hebrew. This is all I could find on the liturgy in Hebrew: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGSM9oRr1Mo&lc=GfjJdS06bt4kAxZ6IjeR_m4EI0I0Z12ggr3TCQ91lcg.

Also, I was surprised to find out that there are more Jewish Christians in Russia than I ever thought (not that I ever thought that there were many, or that I ever really thought about it at all). The best example I can think of is that a speaker in the Knesset, Yuli Edelstein, is the son of a priest, Georgy Edelstein, who serves in Karabanovo. Does anyone know of any more interesting stories about Jewish Orthodox-Christians?

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2014, 10:18:25 PM »

:/ The thing is, the person who does this (a general term, no one in this thread in particular) does a disservice to both faiths. It's dishonorable to both Judaism and Christianity. They are both two different religions. You should pick one and not misrepresent the other.

Precisely. It should be one or the other, not a misguided mishmash.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2014, 10:26:04 PM »

I don't think you can delete accidental posts?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:28:39 PM by rakovsky » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »

Does anyone know of any more interesting stories about Jewish Orthodox-Christians?
Israel Shamir is one.
www.israelshamir.net
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »

Does anyone know of any more interesting stories about Jewish Orthodox-Christians?

Acts of the Apostles?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: