OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:11:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jewish Christianity  (Read 2176 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, Pray for us.
Archon

« on: September 02, 2013, 06:01:27 PM »

Jewish Christianity is the religious outlook & perspective adopted by a Jew
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:02:16 PM by WPM » Logged
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:06:30 PM »

Ok...

Sorry, what exactly are you trying to say? Just commenting a thought or wanting some insight into what you perceive to be "Jewish Christianity?"

I'm asking because I would like to read more or either.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
WPM
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »

If you have a Jewish mother and Father and want to be a Christian then they adopt Christian practices acceptable to Modern Judaism.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »

If you have a Jewish mother and Father and want to be a Christian then they adopt Christian practices acceptable to Modern Judaism.

You just described me (well, I have a non-Jewish father), and I became Orthodox. Huh
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:37:56 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
WPM
Archon

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:41:24 PM »

Jewish Christianity is based off the notion that Jesus was Jewish and was a Jew of His time

While most Christians are Gentiles (Just regular Christians)

Some can still be Jewish or Jews

This sort of thing is usually connoted as the Abrahamic religion.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:42:15 PM by WPM » Logged
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:06:11 PM »

If you are saying that Christianity is a Jewish religion, then yes.

If you are saying Christianity follows Jewish precepts, then no.

Judaizing is forbidden.

Jesus was a Jew, and Christianity is a Jewish religion.

In fact, Christianity is the True Judaism.

"When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:04:07 PM »

You just described me (well, I have a non-Jewish father), and I became Orthodox. Huh

I don't mean to "pick" on you, but I've got a question for you and any other Jewish converts to Orthodoxy.  To what extent do you (try to or continue to) keep the Law?  Do you continue any practices of your former Judaism in terms of prayer, daily living, etc.?   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:16:33 PM »

I don't mean to "pick" on you, but I've got a question for you and any other Jewish converts to Orthodoxy.  To what extent do you (try to or continue to) keep the Law?  Do you continue any practices of your former Judaism in terms of prayer, daily living, etc.?   

Well, having left Orthodox Judaism before coming to Orthodox Christianity, I was all too ready to accept that the Law had been fulfilled by our Lord Jesus Christ. My experience of living under the Law of Moses was pretty miserable; everyone's trying to outdo each other, and there's a constant feeling of graceless inadequacy and utter worthlessness.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 09:23:37 PM »

If you are saying that Christianity is a Jewish religion, then yes.

If you are saying Christianity follows Jewish precepts, then no.

Judaizing is forbidden.

Jesus was a Jew, and Christianity is a Jewish religion.

In fact, Christianity is the True Judaism.

Ditto

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 09:46:03 PM »

Well, having left Orthodox Judaism before coming to Orthodox Christianity, I was all too ready to accept that the Law had been fulfilled by our Lord Jesus Christ. My experience of living under the Law of Moses was pretty miserable; everyone's trying to outdo each other, and there's a constant feeling of graceless inadequacy and utter worthlessness.

I can't speak for the Jewish experience, so I'll take your word for it.  But what I was curious about was whether, in your catechesis, this was ever brought up.  My reading of the NT leads me to believe that, in allowing the Gentiles not to follow the Mosaic Law, there was never any idea that the Jews were similarly "off the hook" as well.  Even if our typical convert is a Gentile, I wondered if the Church ever encouraged Jewish converts to Orthodoxy to be both Jewish and Christian, as were the first Jewish converts in the NT.  Or does conversion today basically amount to becoming a Gentile, if not in actuality then in practice?   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 09:54:05 PM »

I can't speak for the Jewish experience, so I'll take your word for it.  But what I was curious about was whether, in your catechesis, this was ever brought up.  My reading of the NT leads me to believe that, in allowing the Gentiles not to follow the Mosaic Law, there was never any idea that the Jews were similarly "off the hook" as well.  Even if our typical convert is a Gentile, I wondered if the Church ever encouraged Jewish converts to Orthodoxy to be both Jewish and Christian, as were the first Jewish converts in the NT.  Or does conversion today basically amount to becoming a Gentile, if not in actuality then in practice?   

By the time I had approached my priest, I had disowned by Jewish identity. I asked him if I could still attend holidays/synagogue services for family reasons, and he didn't have a problem with that. Then again, my family are all Reform Jews (and only some of them go to services at all), so those get togethers are pretty secular and probably don't present dogmatic conflicts. It was actually a bigger concern when I was an Orthodox Jew.

I was told by the Roman Catholic deacon that I consulted with that the Catholic faith is Jewish in origin. After my chrismation and baptism, my Orthodox deacon told me that I was now a "fulfilled" Jew.

My thoughts on the matter are best summed up by St. Paul:

Quote from: Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:54:58 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 10:44:12 PM »

No. Jewish converts to Orthodoxy do not follow the practices of modern, Rabbinic Judaism.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 11:29:44 PM »

It really isn't the Law of Moses, but the interpretation of Rabbis of the Law of Moses.

The Law of Moses talks about Priesthood, Incense, Offerings, Tithes and many other things that Jews don't practice and that have been done away by Christ.

That's one of the reasons, in my mind, why Judaism was not a "legitimate successor" to the Second Temple practices of Judaism at the time of Christ. Many ritualistic aspects of "Second Temple Judaism" are inherent in Christianity, but totally absent from the Rabbinical tradition. I think of the Melchizedek Priesthood that St. Paul talks about having fulfilled the Levitical Priesthood.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:34:33 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 11:50:10 PM »

My reading of the NT leads me to believe that, in allowing the Gentiles not to follow the Mosaic Law, there was never any idea that the Jews were similarly "off the hook" as well.  Even if our typical convert is a Gentile, I wondered if the Church ever encouraged Jewish converts to Orthodoxy to be both Jewish and Christian, as were the first Jewish converts in the NT.  Or does conversion today basically amount to becoming a Gentile, if not in actuality then in practice?   
Mor,

You are pointing to a very interesting issue that has changed over time. The Messianic movement portrays the earliest Christians as closely following Mosaic rules. However, considering Jesus' overruling of ritual cleanliness rules and Peter's vision of many foods becoming edible, I am doubtful about that. My best guess is that the early Christians of Jewish descent were really finding their way when it came to these questions. Even in the 4th century you can find different attitudes among Christians of Jewish background on this question.

Later in the Middle Ages the Church made some rules that would make it very hard for any Christian to follow important Mosaic rules. In the modern era the Church is much more liberal about this, as there are at least a few converts to Orthodoxy who still keep dietary rules with the approval of their superiors.

My own opinion is that despite the canons from the Middle Ages, the modern amount of permissiveness is fine, and it should be optional how much they want to follow the rules, since we follow the spirit, rather than the letter of law as St. Paul explained. St. Paul himself circumcized Timothy and performed Temple sacrifices. Personally, I think it is nice if Jewish Orthodox want to keep some of the rules. But if it became a serious focus, then it would tend to push people away from eachother, when they are supposed to be in unity.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »

The Leviticus priesthood is where they have a High Priest performing the Temple services (By a Kohane Gadol ie Jewish Priest) ...

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:31:15 PM by WPM » Logged
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 12:17:39 AM »

It really isn't the Law of Moses, but the interpretation of Rabbis of the Law of Moses.

The Law of Moses talks about Priesthood, Incense, Offerings, Tithes and many other things that Jews don't practice and that have been done away by Christ.

That's one of the reasons, in my mind, why Judaism was not a "legitimate successor" to the Second Temple practices of Judaism at the time of Christ. Many ritualistic aspects of "Second Temple Judaism" are inherent in Christianity, but totally absent from the Rabbinical tradition. I think of the Melchizedek Priesthood that St. Paul talks about having fulfilled the Levitical Priesthood.

That's correct, although I would still use the term "Law of Moses," since Jews believe that Moses appointed the rabbis (the "elders") to interpret the Law as needed. It might be based on interpretation, but Rabbinical Judaism is still the child of Ancient Israel, just like the Church. The question is, of course, who is the genuine Kingdom of God? Those who follow Christ and a Higher Law, or those who continue to follow the Law and reject Christ? I would hope my response to this question is obvious. Smiley
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:30 AM »

Why doesnt the modern Jewish God rebuild his temple already, it is time to see some animal sacrifices and a high priest!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 07:49:08 AM »

Why doesnt the modern Jewish God rebuild his temple already, it is time to see some animal sacrifices and a high priest!
Well, there is only one God and he is the High Priest and the sacrifice.  He rebuilt the Temple in three days, too.  Jews just don't believe that it's Jesus Christ.

xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »

Well, there is only one God and he is the High Priest and the sacrifice.  He rebuilt the Temple in three days, too.  Jews just don't believe that it's Jesus Christ.

They would probably institute stoning for adulterers too, hey, it's in the law. So is slavery, we might as well reinstitute that because that worked so well.

"3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” ... 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »

Because that would entail messing with the Dome of the Rock and then the poopstorm would really begin.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 08:35:08 AM »

I think you are conflating religion (Judaism) and ethnicity (Jewry) to Huh result.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 08:37:21 AM »

Hey, they are working on it!  Roll Eyes

http://www.templeinstitute.org/

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 08:50:35 AM »

Hey, they are working on it!  Roll Eyes

http://www.templeinstitute.org/
Lol slush fund.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 08:56:21 AM »

I'm not gonna lie, their model of the proposed Third Temple is way cooler than the mosque that is currently there.  On that basis, I am totally in favor of risking WWIII to have the Dome blown up.  Cool architecture trumps everything.  Grin

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »

I'm not gonna lie, their model of the proposed Third Temple is way cooler than the mosque that is currently there.  On that basis, I am totally in favor of risking WWIII to have the Dome blown up.  Cool architecture trumps everything.  Grin

They tried really hard to copy Hagia Sophia.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 09:02:44 AM »

They tried really hard to copy Hagia Sophia.
Huh?  Huh

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »

I apologize for being vague.  Dome of the rock was modeled after Hagia Sophia.  The Temple has too many square angles.

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »

I agree.  Any rebuilding has already been done by Christ Himself.   The physical temple will most likely never be built. 
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 10:46:50 AM »

I agree.  Any rebuilding has already been done by Christ Himself.   The physical temple will most likely never be built. 
Dang, and I was so looking forward to that cool architectural masterpiece.  Cry

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »

If I won the lottery and was eccentric enough, I'd build it here in ’MERICA.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 11:01:58 AM »

Do Jewish rabbis use any liturgical vestments when they preside over ceremonies?
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:40 AM »

Do Jewish rabbis use any liturgical vestments when they preside over ceremonies?

Other than tallit, tfilin and kippa (which all male Jews can wear) - none that I'm aware of.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:16:11 AM by Romaios » Logged
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »

In Jackson County, Missouri, no doubt.  Smiley
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »

Well, there is only one God and he is the High Priest and the sacrifice.  He rebuilt the Temple in three days, too.  Jews just don't believe that it's Jesus Christ.
I agree.  Any rebuilding has already been done by Christ Himself.   The physical temple will most likely never be built.  
Dang, and I was so looking forward to that cool architectural masterpiece.  Cry

In Jackson County, Missouri, no doubt.  Smiley
Which would give me a reason to go there. Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:28:07 AM by hecma925 » Logged

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »

http://www.templeinstitute.org/gallery_49.htm
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 12:31:38 PM »

http://www.templeinstitute.org/gallery_49.htm

The photo galley reminds me of Jehovah's Witnesses' literature.

Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »

Well, there is only one God and he is the High Priest and the sacrifice.  He rebuilt the Temple in three days, too.  Jews just don't believe that it's Jesus Christ.
I agree.  Any rebuilding has already been done by Christ Himself.   The physical temple will most likely never be built.  

You can see the Temple Lot there even now!    Claimed by many LDS groups.   
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »

You can see the Temple Lot there even now!    Claimed by many LDS groups.  

That's pretty hilarious.
http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/independence/

The Temple Lot is located in Jackson County—revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith to be the location of the Garden of Eden.

No, I would build the Temple in Lebanon, KS, generally considered the geographic center of the contiguous United State of America.  I would make sure to have lots of American flags around it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:52:46 PM by hecma925 » Logged

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »

Some words are a mouthful, some paragraphs are an "eyeful"!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:59:25 PM by rakovsky » Logged
agape1942

Jurisdiction: OAC

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 06:16:24 PM »

I am a Jewish convert and feel no need to practice anything but my Orthodox Christian faith.  Has anyone read Fr. James Bernstein's, "Surprised by Christ?"  Fr. James speaks lovingly of his Jewish background and his conversion to EO.  It is also one of the best and clearest explanations of our faith.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »

I enjoyed that book and have seen a talk of his on Youtube.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:20:24 PM by hecma925 » Logged

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 09:41:41 PM »

I am a Jewish convert and feel no need to practice anything but my Orthodox Christian faith.  Has anyone read Fr. James Bernstein's, "Surprised by Christ?"  Fr. James speaks lovingly of his Jewish background and his conversion to EO.  It is also one of the best and clearest explanations of our faith.
I read the book and liked it alot. Fr. Bernstein does not propose in it that Jewish converts should follow unique Mosaic customs, although I remember hearing on the forum that he was keeping Kosher himself.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »

I read the book and liked it alot. Fr. Bernstein does not propose in it that Jewish converts should follow unique Mosaic customs, although I remember hearing on the forum that he was keeping Kosher himself.

I'd be surprised if the Jewish Christian communities in Israel/Palestine didn't keep kosher. I've known a few non-observant Jews in the U.S. who keep kosher (albeit not the strict standards that halakha requires).
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 10:16:13 PM »

I'd be surprised if the Jewish Christian communities in Israel/Palestine didn't keep kosher. I've known a few non-observant Jews in the U.S. who keep kosher (albeit not the strict standards that halakha requires).

Indeed. I know an Athiest of Jewish raising that basically became a vegetarian because its just easier to keep track of the 'rules' that he can't bring himself to break. Despite his general non belief.

And that's here in the States.

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
agape1942

Jurisdiction: OAC

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 12:09:05 PM »

Fr. James is my priest.  He does not follow any kosher diet.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: