OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 03:34:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Savonarola  (Read 840 times) Average Rating: 0
John of Patmos
Sinful Newbie

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek (not yet catechumen)

Saint Polycarp, my patron

« on: September 02, 2013, 11:00:57 AM »

So, opinions on Florence's famous Dominican?  Does anyone consider him a saint?  I mean, Joan of Arc was excommunicated and burned too, and it took like 700 years for a canonization.

Holy Father John Chrysostom, intercede for me!
That map ialmisry posted just makes me want to play Crusader Kings II.
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »

St. Maximos the Greek liked him a lot, iirc.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »

So, opinions on Florence's famous Dominican?  Does anyone consider him a saint?  I mean, Joan of Arc was excommunicated and burned too, and it took like 700 years for a canonization.

Can you perhaps use the name and maybe a link with more information, that is, if your intention is to have a discussion with folks who aren't already "in the know"?

Okay, now I get it. Sorry.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:21:41 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 12:09:20 PM »

I strongly doubt that there will be any declaration of sainthood for Savonarola.  I have a biography of him that I can get to fairly quickly if you're interested.  I can get it after doing an errand.

The situations of Joan of Arc and Savonarola were quite different just for starters.  She did not take power politically while he did to some measure.

More later

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »

So, opinions on Florence's famous Dominican?  Does anyone consider him a saint?  I mean, Joan of Arc was excommunicated and burned too, and it took like 700 years for a canonization.

Can you perhaps use the name and maybe a link with more information, that is, if your intention is to have a discussion with folks who aren't already "in the know"?

Here's theSavonarola basic link for the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savonarola

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »

Is the question whether the Roman Catholics or the Orthodox will glorify him? He's not ours, unlike Jerome of Prague, who received Orthodox baptism in Lithuania and was burned at the stake by the papists for preaching a return to Orthopraxis.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
John of Patmos
Sinful Newbie

Jurisdiction: Greek (not yet catechumen)

Saint Polycarp, my patron

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:47:21 PM »

Jerome of Prague became Orthodox?
Gee did I miss the memo!

Holy Father John Chrysostom, intercede for me!
That map ialmisry posted just makes me want to play Crusader Kings II.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 07:51:29 PM »

St. Maximus the Greek thought that, had Savonarola been Orthodox, he would surely have been a saint. You can read more here: http://logismoitouaaron.blogspot.com/2010/02/vouchsafed-intelligence-of-rhetorsst.html

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »

Is the question whether the Roman Catholics or the Orthodox will glorify him? He's not ours, unlike Jerome of Prague, who received Orthodox baptism in Lithuania and was burned at the stake by the papists for preaching a return to Orthopraxis.

He was a Hussite, I thought? And burnt for it.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:37:06 PM »

I strongly doubt that there will be any declaration of sainthood for Savonarola.

The Dominicans are trying to intoduce his cause.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »

I strongly doubt that there will be any declaration of sainthood for Savonarola.

The Dominicans are trying to intoduce his cause.

The irony of the former persecutors (The Dominicans and Franciscans were the (un)Holy Inquisition) becoming instruments in promoting his cause for canonisation should escape no one. And this barbaric activity was undertaken with the Inquisitors responsible only to the Pope.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 09:48:59 PM »

The irony of the former persecutors (The Dominicans and Franciscans were the (un)Holy Inquisition) becoming instruments in promoting his cause for canonisation should escape no one. And this barbaric activity was undertaken with the Inquisitors responsible only to the Pope.

If Savonarola is anything like how he was depicted in The Borgias, then he both makes me laugh and scares the socks out of me.  Then again, so did almost everyone else, each in his own way, in that show.  

Just a reminder: even abbreviations are against the rules concerning expletives
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:43:20 PM by minasoliman » Logged

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:59:41 PM »

Well, he was baptized Orthodox on his trip to Lithuania. If you look a what he and Jan Hus were for, it wasn't Protestantism, unlike the later Moravians. IIRC, it was Creed sans Filioque, married clergy, communion in both kinds.

Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 10:13:47 PM »

Well, he was baptized Orthodox on his trip to Lithuania. If you look a what he and Jan Hus were for, it wasn't Protestantism, unlike the later Moravians. IIRC, it was Creed sans Filioque, married clergy, communion in both kinds.

And 'Justification by Grace through Faith Alone' and Pietism sound like a form of Protestantism pre dating Martin Luther, and has similarities with Calvin. Certainly they appeared to have rejected some Latin innovations and among earlier Protestants there were differences between the earliest 'versions' and 'later' forms. But does this add up to Orthodoxy, I ask?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:14:22 PM by Santagranddad » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 10:41:59 PM »

Where do you get the other stuff from? What I read didn't include that.

Anyway, I have read that the Czech Orthodox church has Jerome's baptismal certificate and there is veneration for them both--and possible approval of glorification from other local Orthodox churches.

Clearly, there is more to the story, I think.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »

My understanding is that there was some overlap between the Orthodox and the Hussites. I think I read somewhere that the Orthodox refutations of the council of Florence were received with enthusiasm by the Hussites and distributed by them. I can't find the source now though.  Undecided

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 10:08:20 PM »

If Savonarola is anything like how he was depicted in The Borgias, then he both makes me laugh and scares the s___ out of me.  Then again, so did almost everyone else, each in his own way, in that show.  

FWIW I recall an interview in which the director of the miniseries took issue with critics who said the series was historically inaccurate by stating he was a storyteller, not a history professor. So, I'm not sure the Borgias series did credit to anyone portrayed. Probably why it got cancelled.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 03:45:03 PM »

And 'Justification by Grace through Faith Alone' and Pietism sound like a form of Protestantism pre dating Martin Luther, and has similarities with Calvin.

"By grace alone, in faith in Christ's saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping and calling us to good works."
-the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification
(Catholic Church and Lutheran World Federation, 1999)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »

"By grace alone, in faith in Christ's saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping and calling us to good works."
That is one of the most wishy-washy documents ever signed by the Catholic Church. I wrote an essay about it a few years ago, and entitled the paper, "The Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification: True Consensus or an Agreement to Disagree."

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Santagranddad
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »

If Savonarola is anything like how he was depicted in The Borgias, then he both makes me laugh and scares the s___ out of me.  Then again, so did almost everyone else, each in his own way, in that show.  

FWIW I recall an interview in which the director of the miniseries took issue with critics who said the series was historically inaccurate by stating he was a storyteller, not a history professor. So, I'm not sure the Borgias series did credit to anyone portrayed. Probably why it got cancelled.

A reason why I refuse to learn my history from historical dramas, e.g. Braveheart.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 06:10:56 PM »

I highly recommend the European (arguably transcontinental) Borgia over the American The Borgias.

And history professors are usually the worst people to learn history from, but if you care about the opinion of one who is sane on the relative merit of the two TV shows above:

http://exurbe.com/?p=2176

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »

That is one of the most wishy-washy documents ever signed by the Catholic Church. I wrote an essay about it a few years ago, and entitled the paper, "The Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification: True Consensus or an Agreement to Disagree."

It was something though. (The above quote is one example.) If not, the Catholic Church would have made like the LCMS, i.e. not signed.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »

I highly recommend the European (arguably transcontinental) Borgia over the American The Borgias.

And history professors are usually the worst people to learn history from, but if you care about the opinion of one who is sane on the relative merit of the two TV shows above:

http://exurbe.com/?p=2176

That article was long, but worth reading for I found his point of view resonating with much of how we moderns try to frame Orthodoxy in terms of historicity, modern practice and yes - development of rubric and theology. Interesting..Thanks for posting it...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: