OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:23:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The precise asymmetric Janus Parallelism on the Petros homonym in Matthew 16:18  (Read 2178 times) Average Rating: 0
Alfred Persson
Jesus is LORD, God the Eternal Son
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: Protestant but no Filioque
Jurisdiction: usa

Primitive Orthodox

« on: September 01, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »

The precise asymmetric Janus Parallelism on the Petros homonym in Matthew 16:18

What is a Janus Parallelism? "This type of parallelism hinges on the use of a single word with two different meanings, one of which forms a parallel with what precedes and the other with what follows. Thus, by virtue of a double entendre, the parallelism faces in both directions."- Berlin, A. (1992). Parallelism. (D. N. Freedman, Ed.)The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary. New York: Doubleday.

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
 19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
 20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ. (Mat 16:15-20 KJV)

The Aramaic/Hebrew PTR (Strong's 6363) is transliterated into Greek as PETROS (Bockmuehl, Markus. 2004. 'Simon Peter's Names in Jewish Sources.' Journal of Jewish Studies Vol 55, Spring 004 pp. 71f).

In the NT is found with the Aramaic Boanerges in Mark 3:16f:

16 And Simon he surnamed [PETROS] Peter ;
 17 And James the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he surnamed them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder: (Mar 3:16-17 KJV)

Jesus put upon Simon the meaning "firstborn" and upon James and John the "sons of thunder."

Confirming this PETROS is Aramaic and the reference is to Matthew 16:18 where Jesus identified Simon as the "firstborn" of the divinely revealed truth upon which He would build His church, is the phenomenon of Mark's usage of "Simon" and "Πέτρος"---"Simon" appears in Mark 1:16, 29, 36 and only once switches to Πέτρος in 5:37 when revealing Simon's place among Christ's inner circle. Peter doesn't appear again till Mark 8:29 "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered and said to Him, "You are the Christ". Afterward there is a burst of Πέτρος references- (Mark 8:29, 32-33; 9:2,5; 10:28; 11:21; 13:3; 14:29, 33, 37, 54, 66-67, 70, 72; 16:7). That phenomena confirms Mark placed the "putting upon Simon the meaning of Πέτρος" at Matthew 16:18, and not John 1:42 where Christ surnamed Simon a "rock" ("cephas").

The subject is Christ's identity, and subtext the divinely revealed truth which publicly confessed rendered Simon the first born of the Gospel of Christ's identity (cp Mat 10:2  πρῶτος "first" is not a list numbering)

Looking backward (κἀγὼ δέ) to Simon's "You are the Christ," Jesus says "You are petros ("firstborn") using the Aramaic/Hebrew "firstborn" meaning of PETROS; ------Looking forward καὶ AND 'upon this life gushing (cp 1 Pet 2:3-7; John 1:42; John 7:38) unchanging rock-like ἀλήθεια TRUTH of My identity (cp 1 Cor 10:4; Exod 17:6) which just gave you eternal life (John 20:31), I will build my church (Rom 10:8ff). And my death will not prevent this.

Confirming "the peter's" firstborn status is the double portion he receives in binding and loosing power and this key of Christ's identity that opens the door into the Kingdom is entrusted to him. The context closes focused on Christ's identity: 'Its too early to preach this, I have not yet risen and consequently the Holy Spirit has not yet come.'

20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ. (Mat 16:15-20 KJV)

You have not yet made any effort to satisfy the requirements placed upon you if you want to post here. You are therefore back on indefinite Post Moderation.

- PeterTheAleut
 You have resisted complying with the directives given to you at every turn, and instead have decided on a strategy of waiting until the forum software automatically bumps you back down to a level where you can post again...

You are hereby banned.

+ Fr. George
Forum Administrator
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:31:32 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. (Rom 1:18-19 NKJ)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:05:38 PM »

Oh, wow.

Not posting
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:22:21 PM »

Awesome tan, Asteriktos! 

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:32:55 PM »

Thread locked
Tags: upon this rock janus parallelism petros Aramaic  Matthew 16:18 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: