OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 10:21:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Observation Stays Don't Count For Medicare Coverage, Many Seniors Harshly Learn  (Read 225 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: August 25, 2013, 03:51:51 PM »

Observation stays don't count for Medicare coverage, many seniors harshly learn

Betty Rickett was surprised by a $15,000 nursing home bill after spending three days in a hospital for a broken ankle in 2009.

The 85-year-old from Wellsboro in Tioga County knew that her health insurer, the federal government's Medicare program, covers the cost of rehabilitation care in a nursing home if the patient was admitted to a hospital for at least three days.

What she didn't know was that time spent in a hospital bed under observation doesn't count toward the three-day minimum needed for Medicare coverage. Medicare requires patients to be admitted to a hospital — and being under observation does not count...

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »

We can go political with this (actually not "we", I have stayed away from the politics board) - remember, I'm Canadian - or we can discuss why churches don't do more to assist the elderly and infirm.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »

We can go political with this (actually not "we", I have stayed away from the politics board) - remember, I'm Canadian - or we can discuss why churches don't do more to assist the elderly and infirm.

So....why don't they?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:42:55 AM »

So....why don't they?

People don't see churches as places of charity anymore.  Or as a resource for charity.  Many churches (whatever denomination) do not have charitable services to handle this type of thing.  Food banks and clothing/blanket drives is one thing, but dealing with the bureaucracy that is Medicar/Medicaid, I think most churches can't/won't deal with that headache.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »

So....why don't they?

People don't see churches as places of charity anymore.  Or as a resource for charity.  Many churches (whatever denomination) do not have charitable services to handle this type of thing.  Food banks and clothing/blanket drives is one thing, but dealing with the bureaucracy that is Medicar/Medicaid, I think most churches can't/won't deal with that headache.

Heck, most doctors hate dealing with it, and some I know are opting out.

As for the churches, yeah, I guess in the "good ol' days" parishes and communities would band together to help those in need.  Today....not so much. Sad

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: