Author Topic: Observation Stays Don't Count For Medicare Coverage, Many Seniors Harshly Learn  (Read 342 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
  • my finger points
Observation stays don't count for Medicare coverage, many seniors harshly learn

Betty Rickett was surprised by a $15,000 nursing home bill after spending three days in a hospital for a broken ankle in 2009.

The 85-year-old from Wellsboro in Tioga County knew that her health insurer, the federal government's Medicare program, covers the cost of rehabilitation care in a nursing home if the patient was admitted to a hospital for at least three days.

What she didn't know was that time spent in a hospital bed under observation doesn't count toward the three-day minimum needed for Medicare coverage. Medicare requires patients to be admitted to a hospital — and being under observation does not count...

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
We can go political with this (actually not "we", I have stayed away from the politics board) - remember, I'm Canadian - or we can discuss why churches don't do more to assist the elderly and infirm.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
We can go political with this (actually not "we", I have stayed away from the politics board) - remember, I'm Canadian - or we can discuss why churches don't do more to assist the elderly and infirm.

So....why don't they?
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor

So....why don't they?

People don't see churches as places of charity anymore.  Or as a resource for charity.  Many churches (whatever denomination) do not have charitable services to handle this type of thing.  Food banks and clothing/blanket drives is one thing, but dealing with the bureaucracy that is Medicar/Medicaid, I think most churches can't/won't deal with that headache.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic

So....why don't they?

People don't see churches as places of charity anymore.  Or as a resource for charity.  Many churches (whatever denomination) do not have charitable services to handle this type of thing.  Food banks and clothing/blanket drives is one thing, but dealing with the bureaucracy that is Medicar/Medicaid, I think most churches can't/won't deal with that headache.

Heck, most doctors hate dealing with it, and some I know are opting out.

As for the churches, yeah, I guess in the "good ol' days" parishes and communities would band together to help those in need.  Today....not so much. :(
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)