OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:49:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My boss says I'm too humble...  (Read 1091 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: August 31, 2013, 03:33:47 PM »

...and he doesn't consider it to be a virtue either. Shocked

I know I come off as an arrogant butthat around here, but I dimish my ego as much as possible in the workplace.

So tell me how to be more proud of my achievements and get a little braggadacio in like Kanye.

Never been one to brag nor hype myself up.

But word has been sent to the higher ups on my work ethic, attitude, drive and having a sharp mind (supposedly)...there are a few that want me on their team now.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »

The first step is not asking people on the Internet...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 04:46:05 PM »

What you need to do is this. The next time you are commenting on movies, music, tattoos, literature, or pretty much any art form known to humanity, stop for a second and take in the snobbishness you feel in that moment. Now try to subtract the obnoxiousness from that. Then just apply that to your work environment. And voila... what you will be left with is something that most people will perceive as confidence!  Now, admittedly, some may perceive it as arrogance (I don't, but some might), but there are no worries with this, because there is a completely moronic but almost universally believed idea that "it's not arrogance if you can back it up." You'll be set!

Or, to put it more simply... you don't have a problem expressing yourself confidently when it comes to some things, so try to get into that mindset when necessary for work. Or something like that  police
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:46:59 PM »

A very famous musician was called amiable for not being arrogant like most others with even half his talent. It always admired him for that and did not understand until years later why he said on a radio show that he was not as talented as some lesser known jazz musicians. I appreciated him all the more when I learned first hand how right he was.

Others such as drum great Buddy Rich, who was considered the greatest drummer of his time and even still, but he was also hated because of his extreme arrogance. It did not help him professionally to be that way, and even hurt him as a person.

Both are great famous musicians, but each has his way and we must understand that they cannot always be what we think they should.
They are two sides of a coin, but as a great Orthodox priest once told me , just be yourself.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »

I know I come off as an arrogant butthat around here, but I dimish my ego as much as possible in the workplace.

So tell me how to be more proud of my achievements and get a little braggadacio in like Kanye.

But word has been sent to the higher ups on my work ethic, attitude, drive and having a sharp mind (supposedly)...there are a few that want me on their team now.

Achronos, I dislike the answers that have been given so far.

Nevertheless, my answer is not likely to help you. You live in a different world from mine.

I am also unusual in my world but I am appreciated. Despite my humility, they appreciated my selfless willingness to help other researchers, whether graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, or laboratory principal investigators.  This has always been a positive in my resume when I was forced to seek advancement in rank.

Of course if I was involved in an commercial adventure....
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:23:22 PM »

So, the higher ups like you and want you on their team but your boss thinks you are too humble.  Am I the only one who sees the conflict?  If his bosses like you, I wouldn't worry so much about him.  Do they want him on their team?  Maybe I missed something.

Oh, and you never want to be like Kanye, in any way, ever!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:24:26 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »

So, the higher ups like you and want you on their team but your boss thinks you are too humble.  Am I the only one who sees the conflict?  If his bosses like you, I wouldn't worry so much about him.  Do they want him on their team?  Maybe I missed something.

I ignored this as superfluous. Obviously it is important since you have pointed it out. What is a Kanye?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 10:22:07 PM »

Kanye West is an American rapper known for his sometime onstage fits of pique and other temper issues. He famously interrupted singer Taylor Swift while she was onstage at an awards show. He yelled about how Beyonce Knowles really deserved the award instead. People have really not let him live that down.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 10:59:57 PM »

Kanye West is an American rapper known for his sometime onstage fits of pique and other temper issues. He famously stupidly interrupted singer Taylor Swift while she was onstage at an awards show. He yelled about how Beyonce Knowles really deserved the award instead. People have really not let him live that down.

That is only one of the many, many, many things for which one should not want to be anything like Kanye. 
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »

Nevertheless, my answer is not likely to help you. You live in a different world from mine.

I am also unusual in my world but I am appreciated. Despite my humility, they appreciated my selfless willingness to help other researchers, whether graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, or laboratory principal investigators.  This has always been a positive in my resume when I was forced to seek advancement in rank.

I'm kinda like you too, selfless willingness to help out other people in the company, and I know it will help me down the road getting references.

What do you mean if you were involved with a commercial adventure? Nobody to share the profits with?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »

No I just thought it was mildly amusing he didn't think being humble was a good thing.

He has a lot of good advice, but his ego itself is through the roof.

He recommended I talk to one of his bosses about career paths, etc.

lol I was joking.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »

I ignored this as superfluous. Obviously it is important since you have pointed it out. What is a Kanye?
Put it this way, Kanye West is the hip hop version of Usain Bolt.

Talented but larger than life ego, extremely cocky and arrogant.

Like I said Kanye's braggadacio makes the music extremely enjoyable to me. His scathing critique of healthcare in the country on "Roses" or the structure of society that just wants everyone behind bars "Heard Em Say", etc. people wrongly mistake the ego for lack of talent.

I can tolerate the ego because the talent is clearly there, from other people who don't have it...its really obnoxious.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 11:12:44 PM »

You?  No....

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 11:29:38 PM »

No I just thought it was mildly amusing he didn't think being humble was a good thing.

He has a lot of good advice, but his ego itself is through the roof.

He recommended I talk to one of his bosses about career paths, etc.

lol I was joking.

Makes sense now. laugh
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »

You?  No....

scamandrius would love for you to describe who I am.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »

Give me a bigger version of your avatar.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »

I'm kinda like you too, selfless willingness to help out other people in the company, and I know it will help me down the road getting references.

What do you mean if you were involved with a commercial adventure? Nobody to share the profits with?

I have no idea. Really!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 04:23:53 PM »

Kanye West is an American rapper known for his sometime onstage fits of pique and other temper issues. He famously interrupted singer Taylor Swift while she was onstage at an awards show. He yelled about how Beyonce Knowles really deserved the award instead. People have really not let him live that down.

Well that's a lot better than what I would have done. Beyonce really is talentless tbh. She has slightly better than average vocals and that's it. Taylor Swift can at least tell a story and change up her style for each album. Beyonce is just the same thing over and over again and each of her songs sound the same.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »

Like I said Kanye's braggadacio makes the music extremely enjoyable to me. His scathing critique of healthcare in the country on "Roses" or the structure of society that just wants everyone behind bars "Heard Em Say", etc. people wrongly mistake the ego for lack of talent.

I can tolerate the ego because the talent is clearly there, from other people who don't have it...its really obnoxious.

Kanye is talented...but in an odd, unorthodox way. I wouldn't list him in the same category as your average hip-hop street emcee who could freestyle or perform some amazing verse onstage. Yet, I also wouldn't merely dismiss him as commercial garbage. He's in his own category.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »

Kanye's bougee, he big-headed.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »

Trust me, the most talented are not helped by the arrogance. They are despised and shunned by their peers. and it usually comes out later and they suffer on the way down.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 08:24:54 AM »

I suggest prostrations in the workplace.  Nothing says confidence like prostrations.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »

I suggest prostrations in the workplace.  Nothing says confidence like prostrations.

Especially if you're brown, have a beard, and are facing East.  Trust me.  No one will screw around with you. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 11:28:03 PM »

Especially if you're brown, have a beard, and are facing East.  Trust me.  No one will screw around with you. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 01:27:01 AM »

Demand large increase of salary or wage and tell him at least 25 reasons why you deserve it.  Or, at least five really good reasons that can't be denied by any sane individual.

Sit up straight, look people in the eyes, fully occupy your space, and tell them your value to them.

Hope that helps.   Smiley

And then keep after him.

Or, maybe he will long for the days when you were humble, but he can't have it two ways. 

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 01:43:18 AM »

If this is true, how is anyone out of work right now?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 01:44:45 AM »

Kanye is talented...but in an odd, unorthodox way. I wouldn't list him in the same category as your average hip-hop street emcee who could freestyle or perform some amazing verse onstage. Yet, I also wouldn't merely dismiss him as commercial garbage. He's in his own category.

He is a single member boy band.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

Wait til you see my new thread.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

Oh and LOL.

Love you too man.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

Booooo.

First two albums are classics. I can't believe you don't like him, he talks about the same stuff you do...or maybe you don't like yourself...

Still haven't decided on Yeezus...weird album to say the least.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

Oh and you should already know I have no cred.

You heard of The Coup?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 09:40:17 PM »

A police chief in Ohio has issued a pointed warning to Kanye West: "Check yourself, before you wreck yourself."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: