OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:06:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monks and Royalty near the deacon doors  (Read 374 times) Average Rating: 0
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« on: September 13, 2013, 02:27:58 AM »

Hello!

I have a question. Often, watching the Russian Patriarchate youtube, I see in various huge cathedrals nuns at the left side of the doors. That is, around the north door. (or perhaps both? but i notice it at the north door)

Why is this?  Is this a certain tradition? Why nuns?

Also, I heard that back in the days of royalty the royalty would be near the deacon doors as well. Is this true? (or am I mistaking this with theatre, where french royalty would sometimes sit on the side of the stage? I think it is the latter)

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 02:50:52 AM »

look here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_VzjOpqLQ8

at 9:22

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 03:37:29 AM »

Choir on kliros.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 03:43:35 AM »

that would make sense, but I hear male voices singing??? also that looks like a very small choir for such a large cathedral if those nuns there are the choir

but i think you must be right

Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 05:53:32 AM »

Also, I heard that back in the days of royalty the royalty would be near the deacon doors as well. Is this true? (or am I mistaking this with theatre, where french royalty would sometimes sit on the side of the stage? I think it is the latter)

It is true - the emperor/king/lord/prince was allowed to approach the altar and commune with the priests. Dimitrie Cantemir mentions this about the Moldavian lord.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 05:57:39 AM »

A Russian priest I know told me that, now that the choir is normally up in the choir loft at the back, the left and right kliroi are basically used as VIP sections.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »

A Russian priest I know told me that, now that the choir is normally up in the choir loft at the back, the left and right kliroi are basically used as VIP sections.

I think this also makes sense, I now think you are right ;p

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: