OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 09:16:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will you try (Ayrag aka Kumis)?
Enthusiastic Yes! - 5 (38.5%)
Not on your life - 2 (15.4%)
Tell me of this mystic drink - 6 (46.2%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caballine Nectar  (Read 2908 times) Average Rating: 0
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« on: August 30, 2013, 02:48:27 PM »

Open sky and trampling hooves,
O, this precious life of mine;
For the eternal curse of thirst,
Caballine nectar is divine

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:48:53 PM by hecma925 » Logged

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »

This is the kind of poetry I can understand.  Truly sublime.  (Do you write advertising jingles  Grin.)

I voted for option #3.  

I wonder what the little black thingees floating in it are?

EDIT:  Answered my own question--Northwestern Mongolian earwax!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:17:40 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:31:25 PM »

If this is a sexual euphemism I may be interested.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 04:00:55 PM »

You could always make it into one.  Grin

EDIT:  But, should you?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:01:29 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »

As I learned in literary criticism classes, you can certainly interpret it anyway.  I would be more impressed in seeing a feminist-Marxist analysis of the poem, but a Freudian analysis is fine.  It says much more about you than me. Grin  Or I just have the pure mind of an artist.

WPM
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »

Nectar is the ambrosia or liquid extract of fruit.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 08:59:47 PM by WPM » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »

And....??

WPM
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »

And....??

And ... that's what Nectar is ... liquid extract from fruit.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 12:25:51 PM »

And....??

And ... that's what Nectar is ...sugar-rich liquid produced by extract from fruit plants.

Fixed it.

Oh.  Okay.  I thought you were making some point I wasn't getting.

Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosia
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »

What is this claiming here, except that equal rights should be had by all women, and that men must yield to our power as women? Let us consider:

Thus the stage is set. Men and their war mongering, destroying the beauty of earth and sky. Men, who cannot but indulge their wicked blood-lust. Their proclivity for violence knows no bounds. Why hooves, except to point that men are nothing but filthy animals, when not reigned in by the civilizing touch of women! Men would destroy all in their greed--for money, power and fame--if they were allowed to. There would be no escape from them. The continuous war cry of men echoes through the centuries: “from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs," by which is meant that each man gives what he is able on the battlefield, and in return his "need" for spoils are satiated if he can manage victory. He speaks of his greed and lust as a need! How perfectly male, how perfectly bourgeois.

And so the lament of the forlorn woman continues. Men cannot fathom the true potential of life. They cannot understand the glory of existence. Nothing is precious to them except their [member]. And war and greed and all that consumes them are nothing but an extension of their [member]. The neurobiologic imperative is clear: men must constantly feed the ego of their [member] or perish. But of course, it is a slow, emasculating death. And for a man, who knows neither the wonders of equality, nor the equanimity of femininity, masculinity is all that he has. Yes, it is so poor a replacement as to be laughable. So impotent, so useless; to wit: so male. It is but an empty shell compared to womynhood, comared to the fragrance of the feminine. And as the poetess points out, it is for each women--"mine"! she owns it for herself!--to take what is rightfully hers, and avenge it upon the male twenty fold. This much is clear from the line quoted. I explain all of this for the young children who may be reading this poem for the first time. But what may not be so obvious is how to understand what comes next:

What is meant by this? She is being sarcastic! Indeed, what can "eternal curse" here be speaking of except that oppressive, inane myth of the Judeo-Christian religious power, which says that our Mother Eve fell from grace, and manipulated the man. What can be more absurd? We all know that a woman would not be so easily deceived, and that it must have been the man, Adam, who fell. Then, by physical force, and in cooperation with the other beasts of the earth (represented by the serpent), they were able to force Eve to give up her rightful place, her divine destiny. Of course this story was written by men, so it makes men out to be the victims. Men are never the victims, even when they are the ones victimized! This is enough.

Caballine nectar is divine[/i]

And so we come to the end of this passage. What can we say here? The subtlety and sophistication of the line is breath-taking. Truly it is. What man could hope to match the depth of thought and breadth of experience manifested in this line? Capitalism must yield before the honor and power of such truths. But it is better to leave the main part here unsaid. I will not cast my pearls--all our pearls!--before swine. And that men are swine is axiomatic. We must leave such conversations for when it is only the [member-less] who are present, for some dastardly male may some day get his hands on this interpretation, and if a women has condescended to teach him to read--what then? Should we parade the secrets of life before such creatures as men? No! Life may be fleeting, but the beauty of life is not so lowly as all that, to be cast out into the public arena, for any man who comes along to trample under hoof!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:07:57 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »

What is this claiming here, except that equal rights should be had by all women, and that men must yield to our power as women? Let us consider:

Thus the stage is set. Men and their war mongering, destroying the beauty of earth and sky. Men, who cannot but indulge their wicked blood-lust. Their proclivity for violence knows no bounds. Why hooves, except to point that men are nothing but filthy animals, when not reigned in by the civilizing touch of women! Men would destroy all in their greed--for money, power and fame--if they were allowed to. There would be no escape from them. The continuous war cry of men echoes through the centuries: “from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs," by which is meant that each man gives what he is able on the battlefield, and in return his "need" for spoils are satiated if he can manage victory. He speaks of his greed and lust as a need! How perfectly male, how perfectly bourgeois.

And so the lament of the forlorn woman continues. Men cannot fathom the true potential of life. They cannot understand the glory of existence. Nothing is precious to them except their [member]. And war and greed and all that consumes them are nothing but an extension of their [member]. The neurobiologic imperative is clear: men must constantly feed the ego of their [member] or perish. But of course, it is a slow, emasculating death. And for a man, who knows neither the wonders of equality, nor the equanimity of femininity, masculinity is all that he has. Yes, it is so poor a replacement as to be laughable. So impotent, so useless; to wit: so male. It is but an empty shell compared to womynhood, comared to the fragrance of the feminine. And as the poetess points out, it is for each women--"mine"! she owns it for herself!--to take what is rightfully hers, and avenge it upon the male twenty fold. This much is clear from the line quoted. I explain all of this for the young children who may be reading this poem for the first time. But what may not be so obvious is how to understand what comes next:

What is meant by this? She is being sarcastic! Indeed, what can "eternal curse" here be speaking of except that oppressive, inane myth of the Judeo-Christian religious power, which says that our Mother Eve fell from grace, and manipulated the man. What can be more absurd? We all know that a woman would not be so easily deceived, and that it must have been the man, Adam, who fell. Then, by physical force, and in cooperation with the other beasts of the earth (represented by the serpent), they were able to force Eve to give up her rightful place, her divine destiny. Of course this story was written by men, so it makes men out to be the victims. Men are never the victims, even when they are the ones victimized! This is enough.

And so we come to the end of this passage. What can we say here? The subtlety and sophistication of the line is breath-taking. Truly it is. What man could hope to match the depth of thought and breadth of experience manifested in this line? Capitalism must yield before the honor and power of such truths. But it is better to leave the main part here unsaid. I will not cast my pearls--all our pearls!--before swine. And that men are swine is axiomatic. We must leave such conversations for when it is only the [member-less] who are present, for some dastardly male may some day get his hands on this interpretation, and if a women has condescended to teach him to read--what then? Should we parade the secrets of life before such creatures as men? No! Life may be fleeting, but the beauty of life is not so lowly as all that, to be cast out into the public arena, for any man who comes along to trample under hoof!

Taking nothing at all away from your mellifluous exegesis, I have a question for you--Is it a blessing or an affliction to have too much spare time?  Wink

katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 01:35:27 PM »

Okay, and your point...?

Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 01:41:15 PM »

Ummmm

Kumiss... I've had it made with cow's milk long ago.  It wasn't bad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumiss

Caballine - related to horses.  Many places make Kumiss from mare's milk.  Never had that kind.

Of course with the interesting explication of the poem perhaps the Caballine Spring is intended to be part if this.  Also known as "Hippocrene" to drink of its water was to gain "poetic inspiration"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocrene

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 01:42:08 PM »

So does the OP have a source for mare's milk kumis?

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »

A+ on the literary critique.  Bonus points on trampling Judaeo-Christian tradition.  Bravo!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 04:46:20 PM »

So does the OP have a source for mare's milk kumis?

Ah, yes.  Mongolia!  Or Uzbekistan.  It takes some time to get, though.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:47:47 PM by hecma925 » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »

Are you trying to say that horses are fruit?  Neigh, thou art mad.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »

I had an opportunity to try kumis when I was living in China and I didn't take it... still kicking myself for it.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 05:29:29 PM »

Taking nothing at all away from your mellifluous exegesis, I have a question for you--Is it a blessing or an affliction to have too much spare time?  Wink

Actually I wish I would have taken a few minutes to edit it before posting. Now that I reread it I see at least a half dozen obvious mistakes, including at least two or three times when I said "women" instead of "woman." Anyway...  angel
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »

But the question remains...

What is best in life?

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »

OC.net is getting a lot of threads with silliness and gerrymandering ... How can you or most on here expect to be taken seriously?...
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:37 PM »

OC.net is getting a lot of threads with silliness and gerrymandering ... How can you or most on here expect to be taken seriously?...

It's like a deadly game of freeze-tag- I touch you with the 44 mag and you're frozen inside a bodybag.

WPM
Archon

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 05:58:35 PM »

How do you expect to be taken seriously?...
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 06:04:01 PM »

Describe the last time you were eaten by a walrus.

WPM
Archon

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 06:11:30 PM »

Something that happens when you trip on shrooms?...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:11:50 PM by WPM » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »

I am not familiar with any study definitively linking the ingestion of hallucinogenic mushrooms with walrus predation. Remember, correlation is not causation.

WPM
Archon

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 06:17:32 PM »

I am not familiar with any study definitively linking the ingestion of hallucinogenic mushrooms with walrus predation. Remember, correlation is not causation.

LOL  Huh ok.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 06:21:29 PM »

I had an opportunity to try kumis when I was living in China and I didn't take it... still kicking myself for it.

It could be essentially the same thing as milk-creamer that goes in your coffee.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 06:23:31 PM »

It could be essentially the same thing as milk-creamer that goes in your coffee.

Ogedei Khan didn't die of alcohol poisoning from drinking milk creamer, dude.

WPM
Archon

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 06:25:30 PM »

Church Symposia, Russian chant, and Shrooms make a good combination
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »

How can you expect to be taken seriously if you don't even know what gerrymandering is?
WPM
Archon

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »

How can you expect to be taken seriously if you don't even know what gerrymandering is?

Well, I could look it up in a dictionary.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »

Ogedei Khan didn't die of alcohol poisoning from drinking milk creamer, dude.

No, he died a champion of caballine nectar or ambrosia, if you will.

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 11:32:15 PM »

And there I was expecting a more Jataka-like response.  Sad

I guess you don't remember your previous lives either, do you?
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »

I only expect to be taken seriously when I write something serious (it does happen every now and then, much to my enormous surprise and against all my wishes for extreme silliness).  And sometimes, not even then.

Silly gerrymandered (gerrymandered??  yeah, I think you oughta look it up) threads are all part of life's great tapestry.  In fact, that same tapestry is hand-made with such threads.  Pick one, keep pulling on it, and you eventually get to where you are now, that is, oc.net Grin Grin
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:48:41 PM by J Michael » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 08:58:52 AM »

I only expect to be taken seriously when I write something serious (it does happen every now and then, much to my enormous surprise and against all my wishes for extreme silliness).  And sometimes, not even then.

Silly gerrymandered (gerrymandered??  yeah, I think you oughta look it up) threads are all part of life's great tapestry.  In fact, that same tapestry is hand-made with such threads.  Pick one, keep pulling on it, and you eventually get to where you are now, that is, oc.net Grin Grin

That is, by far, the most serious and lucid post I have ever come across on this forum.  Outstanding.  Thank you!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »

Endless horizon coming forth,
Where betwixt the mountains lie
Verdant below and azure above;
As warriors of old, I shall die.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »

I would love to do an interpretation of this from my own perspective, but I don't think they'd allow it on this forum. I guess my interpretation of the second line as speaking of breasts might get a pass, but that third line? No way...  Grin angel
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »

I would love to do an interpretation of this from my own perspective, but I don't think they'd allow it on this forum. I guess my interpretation of the second line as speaking of breasts might get a pass, but that third line? No way...  Grin angel

I...I'm afraid of your interpretation of the third line.   laugh 

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »

Well if the first line sets up the scene/image/tone, and the second line is about breasts (in the middle of the body, roughly), and the third line continues the sexual theme as it relates to a woman... what would something "verdant below" the breasts signify? See where I'm going with this?  angel
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »

Well if the first line sets up the scene/image/tone, and the second line is about breasts (in the middle of the body, roughly), and the third line continues the sexual theme as it relates to a woman... what would something "verdant below" the breasts signify? See where I'm going with this?  angel

Since we're going into a feminine mystique critique Roll Eyes, I suppose it could mean lush as a field of green or green as inexperienced.  But really, it's just grass and sky.  Grass and sky!  lolololol

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »

It's about a lush, vibrant thicket, with connotations of happiness and fullness of life. I am telling you!  Grin Tongue
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:07:09 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »

Tell me, what is the "endless horizon" in this context using this same critique?  You say that it sets the tone for this verse (or the poem itself[it's not finished]); how so?  I think that if you saw mountains as being figurative breasts, then perhaps the horizon is the whole form or body?  How does one interpret the last line of this verse, with this formula?

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: